Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 03:35 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

Maybe time to go abroad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 03:50 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Maybe time to go abroad?
Been all over Europe, parts of Africa, Asia, and South America. But far more curious about the U.S.. Observing functioning cities is far more interesting than standing inside an old cathedral.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:26 PM

481 posts, read 422,574 times
What were your favorite places from that list, OP???

Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
What were your favorite places from that list, OP???
Mostly the West Coast, liked it so much I chose to move here three years ago after living in the Boston-NY-DC corridor most of my life.

Seattle is one of my favorite cities, and the trip through the Cascades to Central and Eastern Washington is the most amazing drives I think I've ever done.

Also been able to see so much of California the last few years, which has been amazing. The West has lifted my expectations for other places. Used to think Charleston, SC was a great vacation spot with nearby beaches and lots of history, but now I much prefer Santa Barbara because it has better restaurants and the nearby wine country.

Chicago in the summer is also up there.

I also think some places had more to do than I thought. I had no reason to go to St. Louis, for example, other than I hadn't been, so I stopped there for 18 hours on my way back to SF from DC a few years ago. Lots of great history and museums.

It's also been interesting to see how Middle America has changed given that I've always been on the coasts. You can great Ethiopian food in Kansas City now, I used to think that was a DC thing.

College towns also tend to meet high expectations. Especially liked Lawrence, KS and Missoula, MT.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:28 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Been very fortunate to have travelled to all 50 states, all the major cities/metros, and looking for any recommendations for cities/towns worth stopping by. Not looking for visually interesting rural spots, skiiing destinations, or anything like that, but towns or cities interesting enough to visit for at least a few hours. Wine tastings, history museums, or interesting art museums are always a big plus.

Places I haven't been to, but are contenders, include Eugene, Tucson, Birmingham, Burlington, VT, El Paso, Des Moines, Louisville and Grand Rapids. If there's a strong case for/against any one of these, would love to hear it as well.

Already been to:

Auburn, AL
Anchorage, AK
Fairbanks, AK
Phoenix, AZ
Kingman, AZ
Little Rock, AR
San Francisco, CA
Napa, CA
Santa Rosa/Sonoma, CA
Sacramento, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
San Jose, CA
San Luis Obispo, CA
Santa Barbara and Santa Barbara County Wine Country, CA
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego, CA
Palm Springs, CA
Irvine/Newport Beach/Laguna Beach/Orange County, CA
Denver, CO
Boulder, CO
Colorado Springs, CO
New Haven, CT
Hartford, CT
Stamford, CT
Bridgeport, CT
New London, CT
Wilmington, DE
Miami, FL
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Tampa, FL
St. Petersburg, FL
Orlando, FL
Jacksonville, FL
Atlanta, GA
Savannah, GA
Honolulu, HI
Kona, HI
Maui and Kauai, HI
Coeur D'Alene, ID
Chicago, IL
Indianapolis, IN
Council Bluffs, IA
Lawrence, KS
Olathe/Johnson County, KS
Lexington, KY
Covington, KY
New Orleans, LA
Portland, ME
Baltimore, MD
Bethesda/Rockville/Montgomery County, MD
Oeewshun City, MD
Annapolis, MD
Boston, MA
Hyannis/Cape Cod, MA
Worcester, MA
Springfield, MA
Swampscott/Mahblehead/Ipswich/Newburyport/Nath Shawh, MA
Detroit, MI
Minneapolis, MN
St. Louis, MO
Kansas City, MO
Missoula, MT
Omaha, NE
Lincoln, NE
Las Vegas, NV
Reno/Tahoe, NV
Concord, NH
Nashua, NH
Manchester, NH
Trenton, NJ
Princeton, NJ
Newark, NJ
Atlantic City, NJ
Albuquerque, NM
Santa Fe, NM
New York, NY
Albany, NY
Lawng Oy-land, NY
Westchester County, NY
Rockland County, NY
Binghamton, NY
Buffalo, NY
Charlotte, NC
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Greensboro, NC
Bismarck, ND
Cleveland, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, OH
Oklahoma City, OK
Portland, OR
Philadelphia, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Providence, RI
Newport, RI
Charleston, SC
Hilton Head, SC
Rapid City, SD
Nashville, TN
Memphis, TN
Austin, TX
Dallas/DFW Metroplex, TX
Houston, TX
San Antonio, TX
Salt Lake City, UT
Manchester, VT
Brattleboro, VT
Fairfax County/Northern Virginia, VA
Richmond, VA
Virginia Beach, VA
Charlottesville, VA
Lynchburg, VA
Seattle, WA
Spokane, WA
Walla Walla, WA
White Sulphur Springs, WV
Harper's Ferry, WV
Madison, WI
Milwaukee, WI
Cheyenne, WY
Laramie, WY
You need some more Minnesota towns. You can add Duluth, MN in summertime (or wintertime if you want a challenge).

Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Been all over Europe, parts of Africa, Asia, and South America. But far more curious about the U.S.. Observing functioning cities is far more interesting than standing inside an old cathedral.
How about Canada? Vancouver, Banff/Calgary, Montreal/Quebec City/Ottawa, or off the beaten path places like PEI & Newfoundland & the Yukon. I found St. John's, NL to be particularly fun and interesting to visit.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:06 PM

481 posts, read 422,574 times
Quote:
Mostly the West Coast, liked it so much I chose to move here three years ago after living in the Boston-NY-DC corridor most of my life.

Seattle is one of my favorite cities, and the trip through the Cascades to Central and Eastern Washington is the most amazing drives I think I've ever done.

Also been able to see so much of California the last few years, which has been amazing. The West has lifted my expectations for other places. Used to think Charleston, SC was a great vacation spot with nearby beaches and lots of history, but now I much prefer Santa Barbara because it has better restaurants and the nearby wine country.

Chicago in the summer is also up there.

I also think some places had more to do than I thought. I had no reason to go to St. Louis, for example, other than I hadn't been, so I stopped there for 18 hours on my way back to SF from DC a few years ago. Lots of great history and museums.

It's also been interesting to see how Middle America has changed given that I've always been on the coasts. You can great Ethiopian food in Kansas City now, I used to think that was a DC thing.

College towns also tend to meet high expectations. Especially liked Lawrence, KS and Missoula, MT.
Thank you! Good to hear you've found a place you're happy. Just out of curiosity, is there anything big you notice between east and west coast (people, culture, lifestyle, feeling, etc.)? I've been torn between east and west and have been leaning more towards the east, so I'm wondering what I'm going to miss out on. Does it feel more spacious?

I like college towns as well. State College has a magical image in my mind (the area near the campus, at least).

Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Since you've done so many LA and NYC suburbs, how about Chicago suburbs? I would expect Evanston, Oak Park, Flossmoor, Aurora/Naperville, Wheaton, Woodstock, and/or Kenilworth/Winnetka to be worth a visit if you're ever in the northern Illinois area.

Elsewhere in Illinois, Galena is quite popular.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:07 PM

624 posts, read 906,221 times
Springfield, Illinois Lincoln Tomb and home.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:51 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
You went to Minneapolis but not Saint Paul? Also, Duluth, Minnesota.

I'd go to Louisville for the whiskey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.