Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
That's because you live right next to the beach. Guess what? The Inland Empire is plagued with Santa Ana winds come fall and winter. It's usually Single digit humidity when those winds blow.

Don't try to sell coastal Los Angeles weather as the normal when most new comers are too poor to live anywhere but the Inland Empire, where the weather is worlds apart from coastal LA. We all know your beach neighborhood is craaaaaazzzzy expen$$$$$ive.
It's still the "dry" west coast, but it has never been dry to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I hated this time of year when I lived in OC and downtown San Diego (less than 1/4 mile from the Bay)—I would be scratching my inner thighs and arms like crazy until mid March as my skin dried out. Recent summers had been getting remnants from storms working their way up from Mexico that were humid with no breezes and temperatures approaching or exceeding 100 for a 3-4 day period in August and/or September even near the coast, not just inland.

Being near the water AND getting a breeze—as I do—mitigates humidity. I definitely feel it more once I start moving just a few miles inland or when I am in non coastal humid cities that do not get such breezes.

Miami is tolerable (depending upon where you live, can be outright enjoyable) in the summer; I find dry, desert cities intolerable that time of year.

Not saying I hated dry cities, especially coastal ones —just that I often felt the climate was slightly overrated just as humid cities can get an undeserved bad rap (not as bad as some make out for reasons so described above).
I have never had this experience so IDK. Lol

Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I think a difference in LA is that the average days have that medium humidity. However, the hottest days turn into Phoenix. High temperatures + high humidity is rare in SoCal. It's happening more frequently lately as tropical moisture makes its way from Mexico into the Southwest. But overall, when heat waves hit LA, it's usually a very dry heat coming from inland desert areas.
This is correct, in my experience. We might have 3-5 days per year with high heat AND high humidity. It's miserable, but it has not, so far, lasted long.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:31 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Cool with low to moderate humidity.
If hot, definitely dry as possible. I try not to leave the confines of A/C in humid weather.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is correct, in my experience. We might have 3-5 days per year with high heat AND high humidity. It's miserable, but it has not, so far, lasted long.
It's just perfect beach weather. On the coast the worst that it even gets is high80s. That inly sucks because we don't have AC over here.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:42 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Dry = more comfortable, but hard on the body (nose, sinuses, respiratory system, skin, etc.)
Humid = less comfortable, but helpful to the body

Having lived in extreme examples of both, I go with humid.
Not completely true. The human body cannot properly cool itself in humid air. When you sweat the process of the sweat evaporating off your skin cools you off - much like an evaporative cooler chills a house. In humid air your sweat doesn't evaporate as well (or in some cases at all). So while humidity may be great for concealing wrinkles, it puts you at a significantly higher risk of suffering from heat stroke.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 01-22-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times
Dry heat, for sure.

Iowa's not the epicenter of humidity or heat, but it gets pretty damn hot and humid in the summer. This summer I was in Durango, CO, and put on a long sleeves in 80 degree weather, because it felt 10-15 degrees cooler than what 80 degrees feels like in Iowa.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
It's still the "dry" west coast, but it has never been dry to me.
It's never been dry for you because you live right on the ocean. You have no idea how bone dry it gets anytime the Santa Ana winds blow over in the Inland Empire and canyons.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
It's never been dry for you because you live right on the ocean. You have no idea how bone dry it gets anytime the Santa Ana winds blow over in the Inland Empire and canyons.
I used to live in the high desert amigo so trust me ik, but that was an extreme, And very few people lived out there.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
I much prefer humid over dry. When I'm in a dry climate I get nose bleeds, itchy skin, and just dislike it. I just feel better when it's humid.

Cool and humid is the best but even hot'n'sticky is better than hot and dry if it comes down to it. I'd take New Orleans over Yuma any day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.