Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:44 AM

724 posts, read 503,505 times

Advertisements

Wow I never would have thought that this would be my most replied to thread ...

Anyways thanks for the input y'all , I sure do appreciate it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Regarding the topic.

No.
It absolutely is, and I don't see how any argument otherwise could possibly be made.

You go North of the DC-Baltimore CSA by one inch and you are in the Philadelphia region which is unmistakably Northeastern by any persons standards. You go the other direction and enter the Richmond Virginia region and you are unmistakably in the Southern U.S. The big grey area is right in between. This is the exact border region making up the switch between North-South.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It absolutely is, and I don't see how any argument otherwise could possibly be made.

You go North of the DC-Baltimore CSA by one inch and you are in the Philadelphia region which is unmistakably Northeastern by any persons standards. You go the other direction and enter the Richmond Virginia region and you are unmistakably in the Southern U.S. The big grey area is right in between. This is the exact border region making up the switch between North-South.
Technically, there are parts of the Philly region already in the south, such as Cecil County, MD. By time you get to Baltimore you're already in the south, by time you get to DC, you're kinda well within the south;

Old 02-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Technically, there are parts of the Philly region already in the south, such as Cecil County, MD. By time you get to Baltimore you're already in the south, by time you get to DC, you're kinda well within the south;
You're going by the Census. I'm going by reality, and the broader perception of people on here and the real world. Plus your only talking about I-95.

And again the DC's MSA borders PA just as Baltimore's does, neither are "well into the South" they are on the border of the Mason-Dixon.

Last edited by the resident09; 02-13-2019 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You're going by the Census. I'm going by reality, and the broader perception of people on here and the real world. Plus your only talking about I-95.

And again the DC's MSA borders PA just as Baltimore's does, neither are "well into the South" they are on the border of the Mason-Dixon.
Did you read my post? I said Baltimore and Washington DC, I made no mention of metropolitan areas regarding Baltimore or DC. If you want to go by metros, a portion the Philly region is in the south. How does a southern city magically become not southern? It can evolve as a city in the south, but it will remain a southern city.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Did you read my post? I said Baltimore and Washington DC, I made no mention of metropolitan areas regarding Baltimore or DC. If you want to go by metros, a portion the Philly region is in the south. How does a southern city magically become not southern? It can evolve as a city in the south, but it will remain a southern city.
Right guy, keep up the defending.

Do you even understand the title of the thread? It says "area" after the two cities. If PA is the North and MD is the South then where is the border "region in between"? There's nothing else. The thread is about a "border region" of North-South and what makes that up, not what is technically the South or North designated by the Census. There are other threads for that.

There is nothing between PA and MD but thin air, do you think that thin air is the border region between North and South? You really waste a lot of our times in these threads pointing out the obvious over and over.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Right guy, keep up the defending.

Do you even understand the title of the thread? It says "area" after the two cities. If PA is the North and MD is the South then where is the border "region in between"? There's nothing else. The thread is about a "border region" of North-South and what makes that up, not what is technically the South or North designated by the Census. There are other threads for that.

There is nothing between PA and MD but thin air, do you think that thin air is the border region between North and South? You really waste a lot of our times in these threads pointing out the obvious over and over.
There's nothing but then air between the US and Canada..what is the point of that comment?

If it is that obvious then why hasn't it sunken in yet that you are a southerner from the southern city (District) of Washington DC. I am a southerner from Baltimore. The Washington DC CSA (which Baltimore is a part of )is in the south.

It should not be that hard of a concept to understand...You and I are from the south.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
There's nothing but then air between the US and Canada..what is the point of that comment?

If it is that obvious then why hasn't it sunken in yet that you are a southerner from the southern city (District) of Washington DC. I am a southerner from Baltimore. The Washington DC CSA (which Baltimore is a part of )is in the south.

It should not be that hard of a concept to understand...You and I are from the south.
Since you're the first poster since the OP in the thread and obviously the most passionate about the topic. Do you think that you are typing every post and changing people's minds or ideas about what they already know or believe? You're agenda has been pushed for years here yet the OP among others still will make threads like this. I nor the OP care, because the first sentence of the the OP was about stating the thread is not questioning what is the South or North. You either didn't read that, or intentionally chose to hijack yet another thread with your passionate agenda. Great job, I have no more responses to you on this topic.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
I realize that this is a bit of a dead horse topic , so I apologize ahead of time for that , but I thought it would be cool to start up an up to date thread devoted to this particular topic as opposed to discussing it on the 400th " Is Maryland Southern ? " thread .

So to throw in my two cents and kick things off ...

I think the answer is yes/very much so . On one hand the region has definite Northern characteristics such as a relatively " fast paced " way of doing things , a large " urbane " population , an arguably bigger than average amount of racial/ethnic diversity than is seen further south , and the city of Baltimore itself .

On the other hand you have a rather large indigenous White Southern population in the area ( especially in and around it's outer rim in places like Jefferson County WV and Washington County MD ) , a relative lack of White Ethnics ( especially non or not so assimilated ones ) , and an arguably much more rural character than many close to the inner core areas further up north .

That's not to even mention the relatively large amount of indigenous Black Southerners in the region , who while ( arguably ) aren't as closely tied to being Southern as their white counterparts , are nonetheless quite different than their brethren from say Philly ( IMHO at least ) .

So what y'all think ?
So back to this and on topic.

Yes I believe the bolded point hits the nail on the head. You really do have a cross/mix once you hit MD and VA. Maryland is more Catholic and a smaller dense state it also lies right smack dab in the middle of the dialect accent line, while Virginia is more Southern Baptist and mostly lies below that Southern dialect line. MD definitely has more white ethnic enclaves in Baltimore, and is a smaller version that prepares you for what you will see once you ride 80-100 miles northward. Once you get to Southern MD or south of DC there are very few ethnic white enclaves that are older or established. Again reflective of a quick transition zone. The deeper you head down throughout Virginia or Southern, MD on the Eastern Shore you feel the shift begin to more straight up rural/South lite.

Maryland also is growing closer to the rates of the states North of it, while Virginia grows more similar to the rates of the states South of it. And once you go past those states in either direction it's pretty much uniform throughout whichever region in terms of pace of growth.

When talking climate, the area is most definitely a buffer zone/transition zone Richmond and below have one climate type especially in the winter, vs NOVA, DC and Central MD regions, have their own. Once you get either around Baltimore, North of it or West of it, the climate changes up a bit cooler and some instances higher elevations.

I would also point out, and this is key, Western MD (Cumberland etc) is most definitely another transition zone not from the NE or South, but from the East to the Appalachia/ Midwest. It is very noticeable heading towards Morgantown or Pittsburgh etc that Maryland is very much "Eastern" as it either South or North. Cumberland is a mix of East and Appalachia/ gateway to the middle. So IMO very much so a transitional state, especially in today's day an age.

Last edited by the resident09; 02-13-2019 at 06:21 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Since you're the first poster since the OP in the thread and obviously the most passionate about the topic. Do you think that you are typing every post and changing people's minds or ideas about what they already know or believe? You're agenda has been pushed for years here yet the OP among others still will make threads like this. I nor the OP care, because the first sentence of the the OP was about stating the thread is not questioning what is the South or North. You either didn't read that, or intentionally chose to hijack yet another thread with your passionate agenda. Great job, I have no more responses to you on this topic.
I couldn't care less about how you personally feel about the facts that I state.

Ignore me if you don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.