Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 11:35 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times

Advertisements

Which large metro areas seem to be comprised of the largest share of exurban (that is as opposed to urban or suburban) development? Hallmarks of exurban (as opposed to suburban) development include large buffers between housing subdivisions or the ability to drive more than a couple miles without seeing any shopping centers.

Among those I've visited, the first that come to mind are:
Charlotte
Atlanta
DC

Ironically, DC has lots of exurban-style development even in its primary suburban counties. For e.g., here is Kettering, MD in Prince George's County: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8867...6!9m2!1b1!2i37

Even metro Detroit and metro Phoenix seem considerably less exurban than metro DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 12:25 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
A constellation of old towns around the metro perimeter is probably the #1 enabler of exurbia.

The Western US typically doesn't have much of a constellation like that. The exception would be when there's a convenient farm belt...in the Seattle area we have that, and it was sprawling like hell until we put some limits on it. Portland did the same thing. Boise has the same problem and it's not protecting it, being from a backwards state (I used to live there and can say that!). But LA filled its valleys mostly already, and Phoenix never had a farm belt.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Definitely Charlotte. Every time I transfer flights at the airport there, I get nauseous just looking at all the endless subdivisions and shopping centers that you fly over. And no, it's not from being in the plane lol. It's literally my worst nightmare and entirely sickening watching that constant exurban development for miles upon miles.

At least Atlanta and DC have a few urban spots outside the immediate downtown. But urban Charlotte is basically nonexistent compared to urban Atlanta and DC. So it's literally just an exurb surrounding an urban office park. That's all Charlotte is to me.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:07 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
another thing that come into play is in some places land or farms get preserved in outer burbs

this can have an effect that makes it more exurban

I do agree with the point earlier by MHays that timing and satellite places can also play in this is more common in the east, the west generally seems to have a more consistent development structure whereas in the east it peaks and valleys many times around towns that had a small that have been around for 100s of years

Old 01-24-2019, 12:13 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Basically anything in the south and Phoenix. The worst built environments in America.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:15 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Definitely Charlotte. Every time I transfer flights at the airport there, I get nauseous just looking at all the endless subdivisions and shopping centers that you fly over. And no, it's not from being in the plane lol. It's literally my worst nightmare and entirely sickening watching that constant exurban development for miles upon miles.

At least Atlanta and DC have a few urban spots outside the immediate downtown. But urban Charlotte is basically nonexistent compared to urban Atlanta and DC. So it's literally just an exurb surrounding an urban office park. That's all Charlotte is to me.
Talk about dramatic. Charlotte certainly deserves to be in the conversation here but to act as though nothing exists between Uptown and the exurbs is just plain ignorant.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:10 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

What an odd thing to have nightmares over and sick about.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:14 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Basically anything in the south and Phoenix. The worst built environments in America.
Yet Phoenix is one of the most dense urban areas.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
What an odd thing to have nightmares over and sick about.
I was thinking the same thing. I've heard people mention things like tragically losing loved ones, drug addiction, or becoming bankrupt as their worst nightmares. But flying over Charlotte? Oh okay.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:29 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Obviously exaggerating some. But no. Seriously. Living in a place like Charlotte would be close to a personal hell for me. I hate everything about the suburbs and especially exurbs even more so. On descent into the airport, I always involuntarily make a cringing face when looking at cul-de-sac after cul-de-sac separated by some shopping centers full of chain box stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.