Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 02:15 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,059,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I saw a survey that said North Dakota was the most extroverted (least shy) state but also the least open to experience. In general the upper Midwest is very friendly.A shy person might still like it because people are nice.
Friendly does not equal outgoing.

I greatly disagree with these maps that have been posted that show the Upper Midwest as "very extroverted". I honestly have no idea where that even comes from. Yes, most people are very polite and friendly, but reserved in this part of the country. There's definitely a remnant of Scandinavian stoicism that still lingers especially in Minnesota culture.

One personal anecdote that comes to mind sort of speaks to the mindset one might find in Minnesotans. I have relatives who come up from South Carolina to visit my family every few summers, and usually my mom dreads it because she's far too polite to suggest that they stay in a hotel instead of them just assuming they're welcome stay at my parents' house. Of course, as Southerners, my relatives have a very "my house is your house" mentality that just isn't as commonly shared around here. Minnesotans are much more private and value space to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 04:41 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,566,836 times
I think the North East is good for a more introverted person. People will not force conversation on you. As they get to know you, they will open up, but it's not like a fake friendly thing coming at you. I feel like if someone does talk to you, it's because they really want to.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:14 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times
I'm an introvert and some people have this weird idea that small towns are good for us. They aren't. A big city is where people don't care who you are or what you're doing. I would lose my mind in a small town, heck I worked in a small town (20K pop) and I would drive around and see people I know. Don't have that issue in a big city.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:50 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,566,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm an introvert and some people have this weird idea that small towns are good for us. They aren't. A big city is where people don't care who you are or what you're doing. I would lose my mind in a small town, heck I worked in a small town (20K pop) and I would drive around and see people I know. Don't have that issue in a big city.
I like larger cities, too. My true nature is an introvert, but I can fake being an extrovert pretty well (at work esp.) .

Old 01-31-2019, 05:21 PM

101 posts, read 91,858 times
I wonder why the parts of the South tend to be more extroverted?

Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanperr View Post
I wonder why the parts of the South tend to be more extroverted?
There's different cultural expectations put on people.

In the Northeast, there's a concept called "proper reserve." Basically it's considered to be intrusive if you approach a stranger and speak without being spoken to first, or without some sort of pressing need (e.g., cashier at a store).

In the South in contrast, it's generally considered rude not to engage in idle, surface-level chitchat with people - particularly if you're next to them for a good period of time (waiting in line, on the bus, etc).

Old 02-01-2019, 09:43 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I never said "the Midwest". And I never said "German" alone. Just give me some credit that I can at least remember what I wrote an hour before.

I specifically said the upper Midwest in reference to Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota as stated in my first post here. I figured people knew that I was referring to these states in following posts and not, say, Michigan. But I see that I shouldn't have assumed. And I added Scandinavian because that is important.

I didn't want to turn this into a history lesson. I'm aware Germans are in WI. Germans are in a lot of states. Scandinavians arrived in Wisconsin too but so did many other groups. So it wasn't a Scandi-dominant area. Even today MN has twice the number of Scandinavian descendants of WI, with a smaller population. You're free to look up how their histories differ if you want more clarification.
Well, YOU know what you meant, and that's good enough for me.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:09 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,675,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
The Pacific NW is not monolithic in this regard. Seattle would be a perfectly suitable place to not ever talk to anybody, but in Spokane you will make 5 friends by the time you walk off the train to the bar.

I feel like Denver is shy, though I won't get much agreement on that.

And if OP wants to break out of the shy shell, small towns are the way to go.

Cheyenne, why? I don't get that vibe at all.
Honestly, even in Tacoma people are far more extroverted than in, say, North Seattle.

Also, California has huge variation as well. Silicon Valley is as introverted as place as I’ve seen in the country. Much of LA County, on the other hand, is highly extroverted.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:14 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,675,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I just googled map of U.S. states introversion.

There are other examples out there which vary slightly.
This map has Utah as one of the most extroverted states. That does not jive with my experience at all. People are very friendly, but generally seem to keep to themselves.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:00 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I like larger cities, too. My true nature is an introvert, but I can fake being an extrovert pretty well (at work esp.) .
I know what you mean, I work around alot of people and I have to act the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.