Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 377 times

Advertisements

Season of stress right here in Sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 02:39 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Its snowing like crazy, but in terms of how the city's doing, Minneapolis (and St. Paul) are in a late spring blooming period. Lots of growth. One aspect I see, because I work in the alcohol industry, is so many up and coming breweries, particularly in Saint Paul. Lot of communities are seeing regrowth.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:46 AM

110 posts, read 114,002 times
Richmond is in Early Spring. However, I am not sure that the city will progress much past that as it seems like it is beginning to skip summer and go on to autumn. Richmonds true summer was in the 60s and 70s before the crime rate started to increase.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:08 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
Richmond is in Early Spring. However, I am not sure that the city will progress much past that as it seems like it is beginning to skip summer and go on to autumn. Richmonds true summer was in the 60s and 70s before the crime rate started to increase.
I agree that just like some cities can skip winter, others can skip summer. Baltimore, for instance, had its summer in the late 19th/early 20th century up through World War II, then moved to autumn after the war as white flight commenced and other things like the decline of the Howard Street retail district and the end of streetcar system surfaced, then had a winter after the 1968 riots, had a bit of a spring in the 1980s with gentrification in neighborhoods like Canton, Federal Hill, and Hampden along with a revitalization Inner Harbor, but skipped its "second summer" around the mid-1990s as the comeback attempt faltered, and returned to winter in the 2010s with the Freddie Gray riots being the equivalent of a blizzard.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:41 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
The OP's long introduction to the categories is helpful in understanding how he/she sees the seasons, but it seems to presume that a city had to become crap and reborn before it can be categorized.
Statements like "place to live again" and "rough around the edges" are confusing to me.
If in fact the OP wants to know about a city center's rebirth, and not the entire city itself, then I can begin to understand it a bit better. I say that because the rebirth of the city center is fairly shared experience across many American cities, but not others.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:53 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Championship season-Boston. I wish I were joking but that is the vibe right now most years.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:56 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Baltimore-Early Spring

Boston-Late Summer/Early Autumn.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:21 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
I think Philly is in late Spring.

Quote:
By now, the worst of the city's problems are clearly behind itself and the redevelopment is starting to spread beyond the original gentrified plans, but there is still considerable progress to be made, from fixing up some of the less-attractive neighborhoods, attracting top companies and organizations, and continuing to reduce problems like crime and city services.
This certainly describes Philly. Gentrification is reaching 'hoods that would seem far-fetched twenty years ago. The metro is at a sweet spot where it is growing, but at a sustainable rate. East University City is adding enough jobs and office space where it is starting to feel like Center City and Uni City create one cohesive downtown. However, crime, trash, and the condition of city streets are still issues. Public transit is pretty decent, but the city could amp up the subway in a few different ways (extending lines, adding lines). The job market is pretty strong, but distributed disjointedly throughout the metro.

Good thing Springtime is my favorite season.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:55 PM

5,468 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Early-mid spring here in Buffalo, although some local boosters would have you believe it's summertime. I'm not too convinced that Buffalo will ever really get beyond mid-late spring; I'll believe it when I see it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.