Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times

Advertisements

Pennsylvania

Nothing like hearing when you turn on to route 80 "next turn 300 miles" and you're going through nothing - no cities just wilderness. And I like being in the wilderness hiking, camping, but I hate driving through it for 4-5 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times
A wildcard for me would be I-74/Hwy. 74 from Laurinburg, NC (just east of Charlotte) to Wilmington, NC. It's the longest 110 miles I've ever driven. Wide highway, straight as an arrow, and flat as a pancake. Unless you have someone to talk to in the car or the radio/CD/podcast to listen to, it's absolutely mind-numbing, lol.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Memphis to Mobile through Mississippi seems like an eternity.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:22 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Memphis to Mobile through Mississippi seems like an eternity.
We almost ran out of gas near Vaughan, MS when I was a kid. I'll never forget that, place seemed like a ghost town. There's really nothing around that area at all.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:41 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Washington State on I-90 seems long, but in truth is only 277 miles from Seattle to Spokane, due to the topography changing from mountains to flat at about near George, WA, in central WA. At 70 MPH, this works out to about 4.5 hours.

Maryland is considered a small state (because it is), so you might be surprised that in one respect, we are "bigger" than Washington State. The drive from Pocomoke City in the southeast part of the state to Friendsville in the far western part of the state is 317 miles, and is entirely contained within the state in a reasonably direct route with no backtracking.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:42 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Drives that felt shorter to me than they were

I-95 from Richmond to Washington DC
Said no one ever.

(Unless you drove through at 2:00 a.m. on a weekday. Then, maybe.)

Old 02-06-2019, 12:09 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Pennsylvania

Nothing like hearing when you turn on to route 80 "next turn 300 miles" and you're going through nothing - no cities just wilderness. And I like being in the wilderness hiking, camping, but I hate driving through it for 4-5 hours.
Definitely PA. I've done it twice. From Philly to Louisville and from Lexington to Jersey City. I couldn't believe how long the PA stretch takes.

Also did the MD route and the drive through MD felt long. But it could be because I got stuck in the Frostburg MD fog and I almost cried my whole way through it but didn't want to cry because then I'd see less and I didn't have any cell service to call anyone but that's the worst drive I've never done in my life. I'm from coastal LA where we got fog and lived in SF, but I've NEVER seen fog like that fog in Frostburg.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:17 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
"Time Warp" stretches of interstate highway in the Southeast:

- I-40 from Nashville to Memphis
- I-16 from Macon to Savannah
- I-10 from Jacksonville to New Orleans
- I-85 from Atlanta to Mobile
- I-75 from Macon to Gainesville, FL
- I-55 from Memphis to Slidell, LA
- I-20 from Atlanta to Augusta

Uninteresting topography combined with lack of urban diversions conspire to make these stretches intolerably dull; an hour on any of these roads feels more like two.
All of these are mighty interesting compared to the I-5 through the San Joaquin Valley in California. Not a single house for 200 plus miles. Just huge, mechanical, un-charming farms and very beat up truck stops.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:08 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
i always thought of South Carolina as a small state (it's 40th in land area) but I was surprised how long it took to get out of the state the first time I drove through it on I-26 and I-95. 4 hours without any traffic.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,149 times
I always try to compare PA and Upstate NY. I personally find PA much more beautiful than Upstate NY although NY State always advertises TV commercials on how beautiful their state is.

PA drives are not irritating at all. You could be driving through a variety of trees, or seeing tall grass with lavender flowers and the rolling hills are fun to drive through. Also, I don't feel lost in the wilderness on PA roads, because I could all of the sudden be seeing large houses and seeing their beautiful backyards. So much variety. There are obviously some flat open lands in PA that seem a bit Midwestern, but no place is perfect. I am describing the last time I went to PA was when my parents were driving us from North Jersey to Lancaster area.

Upstate NY is irritating to me. I am describing the last two times, which was our trip from North Jersey to Vermont and from North Jersey to Toronto. Upstate NY's scenery was really bland and irritating enough to make me fall asleep, but with some picturesque mountains and rolling hills here and there. Even the state of NY has more nature available than what we get in crowded North Jersey, I personally think North Jersey's scenery wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.