Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times

Advertisements

West Coast, where “Call (or text) me to confirm” and 30 minutes late is early is the norm...also, if you describe yourself as laid back you are not Type A...never had to do that on the East Coast—except in Miami where they operate on mañana, sometimes proxima semana—Standard time.

Happens in NYC also (though not to confirm, only if running late) but usually the exception, not the norm...and NY’ers will let you know about it if you are habitually late or don’t show.

Probably also depends who you hang out with—fellow professionals, whose time is equally valuable, keep on or close to schedule (exception: some of my physician friends when they are on call).

Question: do those in Group 6 who try to board with First Class/Group1 qualify as Type A or mathematically challenged...lol

I’m definitely Type A...I start mumbling if the coffee line or waiter moves too slow or number I call has me on hold for more than 2 minutes. For those who say patience is a virtue, I say I’m not virtuous...I want it now!!....if I weren’t addicted and used to a warm weather climate, I’d move back to NY....finally, as a Type A, I don’t get heart attacks...I give them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
I thought showing up early was the American norm. Where is it not?

And your gen can be just as slow.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-12-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Wow, the standards for what constitutes Type A must have slid downward. I do not consider myself Type A but I fit most of your examples for it.

If an appointment time is set, I sometimes arrive a bit early, occasionally a LOT early, sometimes right on the mark, and rarely late. Type A- ???

Waiting in line...Type A- or B+ also. Sometimes people have questions about the product. And I might learn something from the answers provided.

At the gym...Type A for sure. I hate when people hog equipment while yakking to chums, especially those who are also hogging equipment. Guys, the rest interval between sets is NOT 5 minutes!!!

Jaywalker...Type A, but I realize some elderly or disabled people cannot move quickly.

I consider my original town, Boston, to be stereotypically Type A. And I was very glad to get out of it, and I still am!

To answer the OP: Put Boston on your list. Maybe not at #1 position for it but always striving to be. Isn’t that at the heart of Type A motivation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I like other type A's.....when I say I will be some place at 7:30, I'm there at 7:20--not 8:15--and like the same from others...when I'm in line waiting for coffee, I want a Type A behind the cash register and a Type A in front of me in line who already has given thought to what they intend to order when they approach the cashier...when I'm at the gym I want some Type A working out who is there to actually workout instead of some millenial Type Zzzzz who is in their own world texting for 15 minutes in between sets...when I'm driving and have the right of way (green light) and see a pedestrian in the intersection who has disobeyed the "don't walk" traffic signal I want a Type A who will move his or he as* instead of not only being in the wrong but also lollygaging....when I am watching a Yankee game I want Gary Sanchez hustling after one of his many passed balls,....etc. etc. etc.

NYC is my vote for Type A.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 AM

481 posts, read 422,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
West Coast, where “Call (or text) me to confirm” and 30 minutes late is early is the norm...also, if you describe yourself as laid back you are not Type A...never had to do that on the East Coast—except in Miami where they operate on mañana, sometimes proxima semana—Standard time.

Happens in NYC also (though not to confirm, only if running late) but usually the exception, not the norm...and NY’ers will let you know about it if you are habitually late or don’t show.

Probably also depends who you hang out with—fellow professionals, whose time is equally valuable, keep on or close to schedule (exception: some of my physician friends when they are on call).

Question: do those in Group 6 who try to board with First Class/Group1 qualify as Type A or mathematically challenged...lol

I’m definitely Type A...I start mumbling if the coffee line or waiter moves too slow or number I call has me on hold for more than 2 minutes. For those who say patience is a virtue, I say I’m not virtuous...I want it now!!....if I weren’t addicted and used to a warm weather climate, I’d move back to NY....finally, as a Type A, I don’t get heart attacks...I give them.
I feel you on the coffee line thing. If a line is long, and the cashier yells "NEXT", but the next-in-line person doesn't hear, I'll yell to the person that they're up.

I also come 10-30 minutes early before meetings. It's weird to think that people would come late, except to parties.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:51 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Manhattan!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:39 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Those aren’t Type A’s, just people raised the right way to think of others and not just themselves. The world’s biggest slacker can still have common courtesy towards others.

I know plenty of successful Type A’s that could give two sh*** about anyone’s time except their own, haven’t given any thought to what they want to order because they’re too busy on the phone, etc.
Yep, type A's are on their own time and would be the type to hog the bicep curl machine rather than let you work in.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:51 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Only times I will not let someone work in are (1) if they decide to use the equipment as a chair and text or Tinder away instead of working out; and (2) are sweating like a pig in a tank top and were too lazy to pick up and use a complimentary towel provided by the gym....other than that, have at it.

My biggest SMH moment at a gym these days are the partners, with one snapping a pic of the other while working out or lifting their shirt for an abs shot so that the pic can be shared somewhere online or whatever... I assure you, Type A’s don’t have the time, “imagination”, nor patience for that crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep, type A's are on their own time and would be the type to hog the bicep curl machine rather than let you work in.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-13-2019 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 07:40 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My first vote would go to Las Vegas. How about you?
I lived in Las Vegas most of my life and know it well. I would agree but LV has a different breed of type As compared to the DC to Boston corridor. In the Northeast you have a lot of aggressive, ambitious white collar types. In Vegas you have a lot of raw dominance. Aggression for the sake of being aggressive. The city is filled with dominant alpha males.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I lived in Las Vegas most of my life and know it well. I would agree but LV has a different breed of type As compared to the DC to Boston corridor. In the Northeast you have a lot of aggressive, ambitious white collar types. In Vegas you have a lot of raw dominance. Aggression for the sake of being aggressive. The city is filled with dominant alpha males.
Really? That's kind of disappointing to here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.