Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 10:42 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The insistence that Houston is temperate is ridiculous. Only a native Houstonian would confuse spring with the few pollen filled weeks following “winter” that usher in the unrelenting months of heat and humidity that extend well into October. This compassion is illustrative: https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/2...ia-and-Houston.

Check out the 8th graph down which compares the relative mugginess (referred to as muggy, oppressive, or miserable) of Houston and Philadelphia.

As you note, we both have positive experiences of Texas. But I can say that I enjoyed Houston in spite of the weather, not because of it.
Preaching to the choir. I was in shorts in Corpus Christi this Christmas break. Some love that, some don't. Some have pointed out to me the average temperature in Houston is 69 degrees. Of course we're asleep a third of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
I know. The tree canopy greens up almost overnight, and the fall colors are spectacular. Nothing like it in Houston. That’s why tons of fellow Texans used to join us on the crowded flights to the northeast every fall, before moving here. Now, it’s right outside our door. To paraphrase a prolific poster, “It’s great that we live here now!”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ObdkAKtsg
I've always liked Philly, very underrated. Boss lives there. This video never gets old. My next move is likely Seattle or California, but i will miss the seasons.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:20 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've always liked Philly, very underrated. Boss lives there. This video never gets old. My next move is likely Seattle or California, but i will miss the seasons.
I imagine you'll be willing to trade off a SC summer for a spell on the west coast. Lots to explore out there.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Funny how people look at different temperature ranges differently. Like lots of southerners look at the 40s as if it was true cold. Its chilly at its worst, cool at its best. Its not freezing, like from a literal physics standpoint, its not freezing lol. I understand 20s and 10s, though I enjoy those temps, they can be pretty cold especially outside the true winter months. I don't like 15 degrees on St. Patrick's Day myself... but 40s? Shoot... 40s is nice. Thats letterman jacket weather. Thats warm enough for some cold hardy flowers like tulips, to sprout. If its warm enough for flowers its warm enough for me Some people want HOT weather in April. Southerners brag "I get to go swimming in April". Me? Ehh. I don't mind one or two hot April days, but April is best served cool and rainy. With a few sunny 60s and a 75 once in a while. 40-55 and rainy is my ideal April weather, though. Don't even mind a morning snow shower, but I'll do without another April blizzard. That I'll agree with..
Mid-50s and sunny here today - an early spring day. Just returned from the grocery store in our lightweight jackets. We opened a door and a couple of windows for the first fresh air of the season. Looks like a swing between the mid-40s to the mid-60s for us over the next few weeks. The 40s tend to be considered cold along the gulf coast, but as you imply, some like it hot.

Swimming in April never appealed to me either. If you can swim in April, what's it going to be like in June!

Seems we have similar internal thermostats. Enjoy your spring. It's just getting underway!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Sometimes even Texas was still cold in April, well 40s. I'd sort of complain but then I realized I'm about to get a lot of warm weather in the next few months and I actually enjoy it. 40s feel like nothing to me now. Almost balmy.

My first April in Texas we had a morning (late April if I remember) that was in the upper or mid 30s. I enjoyed it very much lol. Now I wasn't there, but friends of mine also told of me of the Easter snow in 2007.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:26 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Mid-50s and sunny here today - an early spring day. Just returned from the grocery store in our lightweight jackets. We opened a door and a couple of windows for the first fresh air of the season. Looks like a swing between the mid-40s to the mid-60s for us over the next few weeks. The 40s tend to be considered cold along the gulf coast, but as you imply, some like it hot.

Swimming in April never appealed to me either. If you can swim in April, what's it going to be like in June!

Seems we have similar internal thermostats. Enjoy your spring. It's just getting underway!

I'll definitely enjoy it this week with the upcoming rains. Melt a lot of ice and snow. Lots of puddles, I bet. Maybe some mild flooding? We'll see.

Flooding (when not severe) is also something I enjoy. Its kinda fun to explore in it. Though I'd rather have a warm flood!

Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times

Quote:
Sperling's Comfort Index for Philadelphia is a 57 out of 100

Sperling's Comfort Index for Houston is a 73 out of 100
Quote:
A higher score indicates a more comfortable year-round climate. The US average for the comfort index is 54. Our index is based on the total number of days annually within the comfort range of 70-80 degrees, and we also applied a penalty for days of excessive humidity.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:28 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'll definitely enjoy it this week with the upcoming rains. Melt a lot of ice and snow. Lots of puddles, I bet. Maybe some mild flooding? We'll see.

Flooding (when not severe) is also something I enjoy. Its kinda fun to explore in it. Though I'd rather have a warm flood!
There is so much snow to melt. And I'd appreciate it melting and not refreezing when I need to walk the dog. I did the splits the other day on a patch of ice. My daughter fell three times last night .

Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,143 times
eastern TN or western NC

Old 03-12-2019, 11:07 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Summer can last into October in Texas but when that first shot of fall air comes in, you know it and it stays. It's like an abrupt end of Summer to. This is from Accuweather last year in Austin which clearly shows just that. From my experience, that shot of fall air can come as early as late September but it will happen before Mid October. Humidity is also not as noticeable by November so while you may have some days where it can back up to 85 in late October, it feels far better than it did just three months prior.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/au...nyr=10/01/2018

I do wish Houston had Galveston weather though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.