Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:24 PM

724 posts, read 560,593 times

Advertisements

After watching Fyre Festival and Netflix and what a disaster that became, which area of the US has the most music festivals? Any genre of music is ok for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 04:35 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Chicago has Pitchfork and Lollapalooza. It’s hard to top those two.

Miami has Winter Music Conference and Rolling Loud.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Im going to skip the big famous ones because let's be honest, they suck. The best festivals are the free ones or the less popular ones that don't draw massive crowds.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:53 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Love the fun word - "Lollapalooza"

It has a meaning also:
- an outstanding example
- is extraordinarily impressive
- an unusual thing, person, or event

Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Im going to skip the big famous ones because let's be honest, they suck. The best festivals are the free ones or the less popular ones that don't draw massive crowds.
Yeah, I went to Bonnaroo a few years ago and it was a freaking nightmare. I don't know when it stopped being about the music, but I'd be down to go for some spontaneous block-party-esque kind festival where people don't constantly spam their experience on IG.

Instagram really killed the modern music festival. That being said, screw it, I'll go if I can go for free haha

Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
As a lifelong raver myself, I agree that the festival scene has become basically nothing about the music, just taking drugs and showing off on social media. That's not what I was part of the rave scene for. I much prefer individual shows now and now I'm going to cry remembering that Output closed here in Brooklyn :'( it was the best nightlife venue for electronic music.

On the topic of this thread, it's Miami, SoCal, Vegas, Chicago, NYC. Whether or not they're good and/or accessible/affordable is another issue.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:32 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chicago has Pitchfork and Lollapalooza. It’s hard to top those two.

Miami has Winter Music Conference and Rolling Loud.
Plus you could come up to Milwuakee for Summerfest.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:40 AM

617 posts, read 552,250 times
Atlanta hosts quite a few music festivals annually, not going to say they are the best nationally though. Here is a list of the biggest, and they all seem to grow more and more popular every year.

https://www.exploregeorgia.org/thing...usic-festivals

Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Yeah, I went to Bonnaroo a few years ago and it was a freaking nightmare. I don't know when it stopped being about the music, but I'd be down to go for some spontaneous block-party-esque kind festival where people don't constantly spam their experience on IG.

Instagram really killed the modern music festival. That being said, screw it, I'll go if I can go for free haha
Are you going back to the Woodstock days? As someone who went to the first 5-6 Lollapaloozas in high school/college in the early to mid 1990’s (back when it toured, I honestly thought they killed it off more than a decade ago) to several Coachellas in my 20’s & 30’s, to Kaboo recently in my 40’s I can tell you not much has changed in nearly 30 years. They’ve never been cheap, the food/drink/merchandise is way overpriced, and the acts seems to overlap horribly on the different stages. It’s always been about “just being there” for many attending. Whether it was to tell everyone you’re going or to say that you went, or posting it online now, nothing has changed in that department since day one.

I would like to say that my festival days have come full circle. Janes Addiction being the main reason I went to the first Lollapalooza and also to Kaboo 2 years ago, but my wife is much younger than me and she still enjoys them. We already have our tickets for Coachella this April and I’m really not looking forward to it. Thankfully my buddy is letting us use his condo on a golf course in Palm Springs that weekend so I can get a round in both mornings.

If Instagram really killed the modern music festival then by that metric it’s killed brunch, bars/restaurants, sporting events, the beach, National/State Parks, etc, etc, etc.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Are you going back to the Woodstock days? As someone who went to the first 5-6 Lollapaloozas in high school/college in the early to mid 1990’s (back when it toured, I honestly thought they killed it off more than a decade ago) to several Coachellas in my 20’s & 30’s, to Kaboo recently in my 40’s I can tell you not much has changed in nearly 30 years. They’ve never been cheap, the food/drink/merchandise is way overpriced, and the acts seems to overlap horribly on the different stages. It’s always been about “just being there” for many attending. Whether it was to tell everyone you’re going or to say that you went, or posting it online now, nothing has changed in that department since day one.

I would like to say that my festival days have come full circle. Janes Addiction being the main reason I went to the first Lollapalooza and also to Kaboo 2 years ago, but my wife is much younger than me and she still enjoys them. We already have our tickets for Coachella this April and I’m really not looking forward to it. Thankfully my buddy is letting us use his condo on a golf course in Palm Springs that weekend so I can get a round in both mornings.

If Instagram really killed the modern music festival then by that metric it’s killed brunch, bars/restaurants, sporting events, the beach, National/State Parks, etc, etc, etc.
While I agree with you, IG has basically made people interacting at these events almost impossible. It’s not a criticism of people but the technology. At least back in the pre Social Media days, people can just be there without the need to stare at their phone spending 5-10 minutes finding the perfect angle to collect their likes. It’s more or less a criticism of my generation more than music festivals themselves.

Woodstock 69 had so many crazy stories but it also felt completely spontaneous, which made it more fun. Nowadays, being at a music festival is no different than being at a club on a Friday night, for better or worse.

This is gonna sound hippie as hell but I do like just feeling the energy of the music. I’d like other people to feel it too, but the energy has become different, even in the last 10 years. It’s hard to describe though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.