Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:16 PM

307 posts, read 330,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post

I genuinely get the idea that they don't care. On here and on reddit, I never see Tampa boosters. I think its probably the most transplant filled of the major Florida metros, but someone else can verify that.
Why do you think Tampa has the most transplants out of the Florida metros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:25 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times
Greensboro/Winston-Salem. Most people just forget it as they drive through going from Charlotte to Raleigh.

No professional sports, and really no major college sports (unless you count Wake Forest). Basically known for the Greensboro Coliseum and having the ACC basketball tournament. But it it is a metro area of 1.6 or 1.7 million. No small beans at all.

Greensboro used to be the major metro in NC with its insurance industry, but it was overshadowed by Charlotte and Raleigh as early as the 1960s.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:14 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Greensboro/Winston-Salem. Most people just forget it as they drive through going from Charlotte to Raleigh.

No professional sports, and really no major college sports (unless you count Wake Forest). Basically known for the Greensboro Coliseum and having the ACC basketball tournament. But it it is a metro area of 1.6 or 1.7 million. No small beans at all.

Greensboro used to be the major metro in NC with its insurance industry, but it was overshadowed by Charlotte and Raleigh as early as the 1960s.
And Winston-Salem was one of NC's banking centers along with Charlotte but as of two weeks ago or so, Charlotte plucked its other major bank HQ also.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:11 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You need to be of a certain size for anyone to know anything about a city. What people might know about Worcester might be Holy Cross and Springfield the Basketball HOF but that’s about it.

You would not get an informed discussion on a national forum.

Also Columbus is debatably not the #3 metro in Ohio.

Yeah I was kidding, just like when I bring up Lewiston ME vs Bangor.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:26 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Between San Diego, San Antonio, Orlando, Columbus, or Greensboro-Winston Salem, which 3rd metro area is the most overshadowed in their state? Since this forum is obsessed with hierarchy, here’s another one to consider haha.

I meant to add a poll but whatever.
I think it would be Greensboro-Winston Salem. I never hear much talk about those 2 cities. I always thought they were fairly small towns. I never would have put them in the same category with the other major metros mentioned. The other metros gets mentioned in the news quite a bit. I hear more about Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson metro in SC than Greensboro-Winston Salem.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think it would be Greensboro-Winston Salem. I never hear much talk about those 2 cities. I always thought they were fairly small towns. I never would have put them in the same category with the other major metros mentioned. The other metros gets mentioned in the news quite a bit. I hear more about Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson metro in SC than Greensboro-Winston Salem.
As was mentioned, there was a time within my parents’ lifetimes where Greensboro and Winston-Salem had a strong claim for second and third place for cities in the state. Somewhere in the ‘80s that started changing and now it’s undeniable.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:24 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

According to the latest estimates, Columbus is the second-largest metro and Cleveland is third. Whatever the order, I think the three-Cs are generally recognized as being peers of each other these days with none truly being overshadowed. Even if Columbus was third-largest, it certainly wouldn't be overshadowed as it is often touted as one of the more growing and thriving cities of the Midwest today in contrast to its Rustbelt counterparts.
This. I really don't care which city proper is technically bigger. The metros are comparable as are the city's national recognition and influence.

Last edited by Vegabern; 02-22-2019 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Columbus OH and Greensboro/Winston Salem, NC

Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
The "City of Vision", Rio Rancho, is the third largest city in New Mexico. Ever heard of it? Albuquerque is #1. Santa Fe is #4. Those two get a lot of attention. Las Cruces is #2. Rio Rancho is north and across the Rio Grande from Albuquerque. Intel is there and the schools are good. It might surpass Las Cruces in population at some point. In a state where cities date to the 1600s, Rio Rancho sprouted in the 1960s. With only around two million people in the state even the larger cities are pretty small. Roswell is #5 with just under 50,000 population.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:03 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Rochester NY has to up there. Many people probably don't even know that it is a metro area with over 1 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.