Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 09:38 AM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
14,411? Ha!

There are no real mountains in the lower 48. I always get a chuckle when you people have plssing contests over your hills. Nothing under 18,000 is truly a mountain (much less can be considered "beautiful").

/s

According to your criteria there are only four "mountains" on the entire planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 09:49 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Why would anyone move to Texas for the mountains...it'd be like moving to Buffalo for the sunshine. I'd wager 99% of people moving to Texas don't give a damn about the mountains.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:15 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
14,411? Ha!

There are no real mountains in the lower 48. I always get a chuckle when you people have plssing contests over your hills. Nothing under 18,000 is truly a mountain (much less can be considered "beautiful").

/s
Love that sarcasm.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:18 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Texas hill country is much larger than many of you realize. If you think it's all dry and barren, you've never been. There are portions of it with forestry, as well as rocks and grass. Also, the most "dramatic" portion of hill country is truly out in the sticks, not up against any city.

Explore before judging!

Don't be the kind of person who visits one tiny corner and assumes that's all there is to a state.

Also, on a slightly off topic brought up here earlier, in my opinion a mountain can be any protrusion of land exceeding 1000 feet from base to summit (not total elevation, but prominence). Anything less is a hill, even if a huge hill.

Geologically there are a few other factors as well. Such as, what is a true mountain and what is instead an eroded series of valleys? But most people don't care or consider that part so I don't hold anybody to it outside of the enthusiast circle.

Now, obviously grade is a factor too, but I am flexible on it.

Then you have cultural factors. There are many labelled mountains in the world that do not even meet my personal criteria. However, the local people call it a mountain. Who cares, really? Let them call it a mountain if they want. Human perception is half the battle.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:26 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Why would anyone move to Texas for the mountains...it'd be like moving to Buffalo for the sunshine. I'd wager 99% of people moving to Texas don't give a damn about the mountains.
You'd be surprised at the sheer number of people who say things like "I'm looking to move to Dallas. I'm outdoorsy. Really into hiking and camping. Where should I live?"

Of course if you tell them DFW isn't very outdoorsy the snowflake homers will jump all over you and say idiotic crap like "What do you mean DFW isn't outdoorsy? I play golf/tennis in January in shorts, and I see people running and playing pickup basketball all the time. DFW is way more outdoorsy than people think." I've even seen a poster say that DFW has great hiking. Umm, no, it doesn't. It has a few average trails at Cedar Ridge and a ton of crap ones, but nothing at all that a truly avid hiker would consider "great."

Old 03-02-2019, 04:31 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
ya i agree.....most of the Texas population lives nowhere close to a Texas mountain.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:32 PM

515 posts, read 557,827 times
Yes unimpressive and overrated. I wasn't born & raised in Austin, but have lived here for almost 1/2 my life. Maybe compared to Kansas or Nebraska it might be impressive, I find the Ozarks and Ouachitas to be more scenic as they at least have taller trees and not brushy juniper and scrubby live oaks. There are some Ok trails for an hour or 2 day hikes, but after you've done them all year after year, they become less appealing and seem over crowded these days. Like the another poster said, you don't move to Texas for mountain hiking and camping, except the Big Bend and Palo Duro areas. A big reason is mostly because Texas is almost 100% privately owned, and doesn't give a damn about preserving or restoring natural beauty even if its woodlands, dry canyons or rolling prairies.

These days, I just save up vacation and go to California for a week in July and to Idaho for a week in August for my camping and hiking fix. Austin is a good place to make a living for those excursions, and decent for day-to-day living with plenty of parks and greenbelts for that.

The first time my parents came to Austin to visit me, they wanted to see the famous 'Hill Country' everyone was raving about. After an hour, we were almost in Fredericksburg when my dad asks me when we would get to the 'Hill Country'. I said, "You're right in the middle of it!" Anyway, for my friends and family from central California who have visited me over the years, they've been left very unimpressed.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:37 PM

515 posts, read 557,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You'd be surprised at the sheer number of people who say things like "I'm looking to move to Dallas. I'm outdoorsy. Really into hiking and camping. Where should I live?"

Of course if you tell them DFW isn't very outdoorsy the snowflake homers will jump all over you and say idiotic crap like "What do you mean DFW isn't outdoorsy? I play golf/tennis in January in shorts, and I see people running and playing pickup basketball all the time. DFW is way more outdoorsy than people think." I've even seen a poster say that DFW has great hiking. Umm, no, it doesn't. It has a few average trails at Cedar Ridge and a ton of crap ones, but nothing at all that a truly avid hiker would consider "great."
You're the only one who has ever said that. But this thread is about the Hill Country around Austin, you have a lot of hate for a place you don't even live in. That's a strange obsession.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:06 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
You're the only one who has ever said that. But this thread is about the Hill Country around Austin, you have a lot of hate for a place you don't even live in. That's a strange obsession.
Bluescreen like to make strawmen to bash places by, first, making up ridiculous claims supposedly made by "homers" and, second, debunking the ridiculous claims the vast majority of homers, natives, and residents do not believe or make.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
The Texas Hill Country is unique.

I grew up in many states including Virginia, North Carolina, and other states with mountain ranges. Each mountain range differs in vibe and each geographical scenario in each state, in my opinion, has it's own unique appeal to many people.

I also lived near the Alps and have vacationed there many times - believe me, the Alps dwarf any US mountains. But so what? Like I said, the differences are what makes them unique.

I am not from Texas but I've lived here a long time. I personally like the austerity and unique elements of the Texas Hill Country. I don't really want to live there, but I also don't want to live in the Rockies. Now I could be tempted with the Smokies/Appalachians...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.