Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:37 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, when you think about it, almost every black person in the United States who has prolonged ancestry on the continent came out of the south. When southern blacks relocated they tended to do it in mass waves and to where there were job opportunities. Upon arrival they were immediately sequestered and isolated in every way with the possible exception of their workplace. So speech patterns survived. This is probably the case to some degree even today.

However, R&B and particularly hip hop keep this style of speaking popular with it's slang and high energy and rhythm. And it has actually become popular in other cultures among young people.

I think this hits the nail on the head. Its the fairly uniform deep south culture bottleneck that most black Americans anywhere in the country are only very recently generationally removed from. It shows in more than just accent, it is also reflected in the southern protestant dominated religious affiliation and preaching style as well as in foods. (This has resulted in a bit of homogeneity and cultural narrow mindedness that can often cause them to mistake their southern traits for authentic ethnic traits). This differs from the much more geographically diverse origins and migratory history of white Americans.

Most pronounced among inner city, lower class and in areas with very large percentage black. In my experience it is less prominent among non inner city western state blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 02:45 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
I have come to think that the more segregated the black people are in a city, the more pronounced is the "blaccent". Keep in mind that there is diversity with the blaccents around the country, but they all(except maybe in NYC) are all rooted in the south. What I notice about Black Californians, is that there is more emphasizes on pronouncing their r's, whereas Black Chicagoans(even in the suburbs) leave the r out in some words. For example, car is pronounced as "cah" or "ca" among a lot of African Americans in the Chicago area. I have even read/heard from LA and NY blacks thinking Black Chicagoans have a strong southern twang or sounding "country" to be living in a northern city for decades now. I do think a big factor of it has to do with the fact that you can still find virtually all black neighborhoods or census tracts here. Even within Chicago, it was said that black people on the west side are a bit more "country" compared to south siders and blacks on the northside(Rogers Park, Uptown, Edgewater) may have less of a twang. African Americans who do not have a blaccent or its not strong tend to have grown up in communities that are 90%+ non-black. Speaking of my cousins who grew up in the far west suburbs, they do not sound like blacks who grew up on the south side or suburbs with a high percentage of African Americans.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:10 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
I honestly don't think Southern cultural influence explains this. In the northeast you have many blacks with little to no familial ties to the South and yet they don't usually sound like your typical white northeasterner.

It sounds like what the OP is really asking is why blacks are less likely to sound like white people than other races. I think this is more accurately explained by genetics and that's an entirely different forum of discussion.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:00 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times
A refusal to assimilate to white Amerikkka, as it is called, pretty much. It is not only blacks that do this and it's not all blacks, although most of the people who do this are probably black. If you grew up during segregation and didn't receive a good education as a result, I think it is (or should be) excused. Most older blacks do talk a lot more "proper" if you will than younger ones do, though.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
A refusal to assimilate to white Amerikkka, as it is called, pretty much. It is not only blacks that do this and it's not all blacks, although most of the people who do this are probably black. If you grew up during segregation and didn't receive a good education as a result, I think it is (or should be) excused. Most older blacks do talk a lot more "proper" if you will than younger ones do, though.
Thank God we live in such a free nation where a lack of formal education and a refusal to assimilate don't have to stand in the way of success and fulfillment. If I can rap or play ball I can potentially be far wealthier than the average American. Assimilate for what?

Old 03-03-2019, 05:12 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I honestly don't think Southern cultural influence explains this. In the northeast you have many blacks with little to no familial ties to the South and yet they don't usually sound like your typical white northeasterner.

It sounds like what the OP is really asking is why blacks are less likely to sound like white people than other races. I think this is more accurately explained by genetics and that's an entirely different forum of discussion.

LOL, there was actually a thread on this notion on City-data a few years ago. Its absurd and is easily falsifiable by simply traveling overseas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vdlibzIGqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6_xzDG1lcA

Old 03-03-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
LOL, there was actually a thread on this notion on City-data a few years ago. Its absurd and is easily falsifiable by simply traveling overseas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vdlibzIGqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6_xzDG1lcA
Yeah, I didn't say it was hereditary. I said it was genetic; meaning that it's not only what you naturally get from your parents but also other influencing factors like environment or lifestyle. In other words, it's not as simple as saying that all people from/born and raised in ______ will sound the same. It's far more complex than that and ultimately comes down to the individual.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:42 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
The central thesis of this thread is flawed. Many American-Born Latinos have accents. They just don’t have Spanish accents. There are definitely different regional Mexican-American accents, in the US.

While less common, there’s a certain clipped diction that many Asian-Americans share. Truthfully, the “blaccent” is more of a diction thing. There definitely isn’t a black accent. Black New Yorkers don’t sound like black people in Baltimore, who don’t sound like Black Chicagoans, who don’t sound like Black Clevelanders, who certainly don’t sound like Black Houstonians or Black Angelinos.

Truth be told, outside of the South, regional accents are stronger among the poor and working-class. Black people are just proportionately poor and working-class, in the United States.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:15 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I have come to think that the more segregated the black people are in a city, the more pronounced is the "blaccent". Keep in mind that there is diversity with the blaccents around the country, but they all(except maybe in NYC) are all rooted in the south. What I notice about Black Californians, is that there is more emphasizes on pronouncing their r's, whereas Black Chicagoans(even in the suburbs) leave the r out in some words. For example, car is pronounced as "cah" or "ca" among a lot of African Americans in the Chicago area. I have even read/heard from LA and NY blacks thinking Black Chicagoans have a strong southern twang or sounding "country" to be living in a northern city for decades now. I do think a big factor of it has to do with the fact that you can still find virtually all black neighborhoods or census tracts here. Even within Chicago, it was said that black people on the west side are a bit more "country" compared to south siders and blacks on the northside(Rogers Park, Uptown, Edgewater) may have less of a twang. African Americans who do not have a blaccent or its not strong tend to have grown up in communities that are 90%+ non-black. Speaking of my cousins who grew up in the far west suburbs, they do not sound like blacks who grew up on the south side or suburbs with a high percentage of African Americans.
But even white New Yorkers don't pronounce their r's! Ditto for Boston!

Old 03-03-2019, 06:51 PM

1,153 posts, read 630,475 times
Uh....there's MANY generational Mexican Americans and Puerto Rican Americans with distinctive accents.

You can even find people impersonating a "Chicano" or "Nuyorican" accent on YouTube.

Also, it depends on the environment. Here in New England, people in general who live in affluent or suburban areas, tend to sound relatively similar to each other with minor differences.

The differences are usually more pronounced in ethnic enclaves where African Americans or Jamaican Americans are better able to preserve their natural Southern or Caribbean sounding accents. In such environments, there's little to no pressure to adjust or alter such accents because people can understand you perfectly fine in such circumstances.

Asian Americans outside of parts of California and Hawaii usually live in very close proximity with White Americans which explains why they usually don't have strong Asian accents after a generation because many got rid of their accents as a form of survival to avoid being viewed as perpetual foreigners. Things like the Chinese Exclusion Act and Japanese Internment Camps will do that to you.

It should be noted, too, that African Americans are one of the oldest ethnic groups in the U.S. alongside Native Americans and Scot-Irish/Anglo Americans in the South. Because of segregation, we were basically coerced into forming our own subculture and accent a very long time ago and this was amplified with Jim Crow laws as well.

Like I said before, though, this is pretty hyperbolized to begin with. This video is a sequel to a viral one on YouTube and these are regular black college students who talk similar to many black college students across the country. They obviously don't talk like stereotypical "Valley people"(which many people attribute as a so-called "white" accent) but they don't sound much different from other Americans either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVIoC5ROaHk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.