Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 11:40 PM

79 posts, read 43,439 times

Advertisements

KodeBlue Fr bro! Any DC or Chicago natives may not like to read this, but there has been times that I've listened to natives from either city, and would mix up who was from each city. (Without the use of slang of course) Then I'd know easily. I hate getting it wrong cus I know it's annoying to a native for one to not hear clear differences they'd easily distinguish. Usually Chicago is thicker, so I do hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 08:15 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,372,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Even over here in California, most African-Americans have ebonic accents, while most American-born Asians and Hispanics are virtually indistinguishable in accent from whites. I wonder why that is so, especially considering that the vast majority of African-Americans are many generations removed from Africa, while Asian and Hispanic Americans came here more recently and often can still speak their ancestral tongue.
Spend some time in the old south - Texas through southern Virginia. Black and White tend to have a drawl but Latinos really don't. And even that may slightly differ by state. Louisiana residents too sound somewhat different due to Cajun/French influence.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:56 PM

2,755 posts, read 2,437,326 times
Still reading through the thread but I’m sure that the thread title was disproven….because it’s absolutely not true.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:29 PM

4,845 posts, read 6,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Even over here in California, most African-Americans have ebonic accents, while most American-born Asians and Hispanics are virtually indistinguishable in accent from whites. I wonder why that is so, especially considering that the vast majority of African-Americans are many generations removed from Africa, while Asian and Hispanic Americans came here more recently and often can still speak their ancestral tongue.
Because African-Americans spent generations in the American South which cause several unique accents themselves. There not a sole white American accent either but many regional accents. like you tell that many German and Scandinavians went to the Midwest because it's influence in the accents. but is a neutral accent something you hear commonly on TV.

When Asians and Hispanics immigrants come to US they pick up the regional accent there at in process of assimilation, So immigrants would literally change there names to more American sounding names. African-Americans do this at slower rate because the accent they have already a form of an American accent, there nothing assimilate if there accent is already American. It's like if a White New Yorker going to Cali aren't doing to just Change there accent, They were already speaking with an American accent. There no pressure to assimilate to the another region accent.

During the great migration African-Americans spread there southern accents to different regions NY, Cali, St Louis, Detroit, Philly etc etc. Then because of segregation this only reinforce new African American neighborhoods in this new regions. Example My family came from MS and AL to Chicago were I was born, Then divide back to South especially to Texas and Atlanta. This means the Black Chicago accent is largely influence by the Black Southern accents. But even this evolved to it's own direction.

With that said there are Hispanic accent especially in places with a large Hispanic population. New York puerto rican, Miami cuban. And Southwest like Cali this a Mexican American accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
A refusal to assimilate to white Amerikkka, as it is called, pretty much. It is not only blacks that do this and it's not all blacks, although most of the people who do this are probably black. If you grew up during segregation and didn't receive a good education as a result, I think it is (or should be) excused. Most older blacks do talk a lot more "proper" if you will than younger ones do, though.
This post has so many racist undertone is not even funny. like multiple layers of ignorance to sort though.

There not one American accent, there literally dozens of accents. A white person from Jersey doesn't have a white person from Louisiana accents and neither would sound like they're from Wisconsin. It has absolutely nothing to do with educational level. With them all already being American accents there nothing to assimilate to. People accents aren't a political statement.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:48 PM

People tend to think, and associate "talking white" with the accent of the western region, or general American. As if, all whites only speak one accent, general American. Technically, every regional American dialect would be "talking white" as well. So, I fully agree with the above statements from chiatldal.

Quote:
by MrJester View Post
Even over here in California, most African-Americans have ebonic accents, while most American-born Asians and Hispanics are virtually indistinguishable in accent from whites.
Ebonics is an outdated term, and is a dialect instead of an accent because it's about the grammatical sentence structure that's usually in common not the accents. Most "Asians" only have a general accent spoken by their general accent sounding counterparts because it's all they're around. They're not just indistinguishable from "whites" from every region except California is just an easier dialect zone to pick up on in comparison to others. You don't hear too many indistinguishable Asians from Boston, NYc, Philly, Inland northern cities, Cajun LA, or the Minnesota/Fargo accent?

Old 07-29-2021, 02:09 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,306,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaM n.p. View Post
Okay! What in the tone death are you talking about? Most black Californias sound like how they do in the series Snowfall. The main character/actor by the name of Damson Idris nails it. It has a light Cali drawl to it. They have a distinct way of elongating R's like someone from Stl. except the word, "here" will be more like, heRRRe, instead of, "hur" like Stl. They also prolong gliding I's like, riiiiiiiiiide. If they don't have a strong accent it'll just sound general American without all the valley/surfer exaggeration.

You think?
As a Black guy born and raised in So Cal you nailed it. Black Californians tend to have rhotic accents like pronouncing car like "core" for the most part with a slight drawl. If you saw Baldwin Hills. They pretty much have valley/vocal fry California accents I've heard from younger Black Californians.

Speaking of DC/Baltimore. For being only 30 miles apart. Those accents are quite distinct but still Mid Atlantic. Especially with do as dew and to as tew

Old 07-29-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
As a Black guy born and raised in So Cal you nailed it. Black Californians tend to have rhotic accents like pronouncing car like "core" for the most part with a slight drawl. If you saw Baldwin Hills. They pretty much have valley/vocal fry California accents I've heard from younger Black Californians.

Speaking of DC/Baltimore. For being only 30 miles apart. Those accents are quite distinct but still Mid Atlantic. Especially with do as dew and to as tew
This kinda makes me wish I was from somewhere else, so I could hear how the DMV would sound if I was from a different region to the west, midwest, or south. By, no exaggeration I just can't hear Mid Atlantic in DC. They sound really country to anyone 100 miles and beyond to the North/Northeast. It's crazy that they're 30-45m apart, yet different. A little overlap do exist, but different. When, I first watched, The Wire with friends, and I heard Snoop speak for the first time, we couldn't understand why she talked like that. Until it dawned on us, it's a Baltimore accent. Lmao I only hear a smudge of southern in Baltimore mainly because they're in a transitional region. But, not on the level of DC southern. They're flat out country, yet they're always calling someone a "bamma". Lolol

Old 07-29-2021, 08:15 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,647,102 times
Quote:
This kinda makes me wish I was from somewhere else, so I could hear how the DMV would sound if I was from a different region to the west, midwest, or south. By, no exaggeration I just can't hear Mid Atlantic in DC. They sound really country to anyone 100 miles and beyond to the North/Northeast. It's crazy that they're 30-45m apart, yet different. A little overlap do exist, but different. When, I first watched, The Wire with friends, and I heard Snoop speak for the first time, we couldn't understand why she talked like that. Until it dawned on us, it's a Baltimore accent. Lmao I only hear a smudge of southern in Baltimore mainly because they're in a transitional region. But, not on the level of DC southern. They're flat out country, yet they're always calling someone a "bamma". Lolol
You know DC southerness imo is thicker than Baltimore's which I always said Baltimore Black accent sounds like a country U.K. accent but I can tell you to most people in the Deep South even they think D.C. doesn't sound that country.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:34 AM

10,119 posts, read 10,013,506 times
Quote:
I'm from Baltimore and I had a hard time understanding what Snoop was saying. The DC accent is very much a classically southern accent.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:04 PM

363 posts, read 145,264 times
Why are you comparing Hispanics and Asians to black Americans ? It's called having a country accent, not ebonics. Have you heard some southern white people talk ? They don't sound that much different.

You can't compare Americans who have American accents to people with different origins who were born here. Black people have been here for centuries and 98% of that time was spent in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.