Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 07:39 AM

2,651 posts, read 2,093,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMrqGHr5zE&t=94s

This video interviews many Chinese Americans from rural Mississippi and they sound a LOT like white Southerners. I'd say their speech is much more similar to whites than blacks in Mississippi even though the Mississippi Delta region has a black majority.
Being a long time resident of my state ( MS) i can say that there's variety of speech within the Chinese american community here. The delta is just one staple with a range of general american accent in most of the state to the chinese sound. Including a few that sound similar to Aframs. I'm speaking from experience in traveling throughout my state with exceptions to Natchez/Southwest corner.

I think that the delta is just the stereotypical southern hub for my state. Like y'all know it's only a small portion of the state right mainstream media LoL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 07:15 AM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm from the Deep South and what I do realize especially with these videos is that while people of all colors talk differently based on region, there's more similarity between the accent of Southern and non-Southern blacks than between white Southerners and white Yankees. Hispanics and Asian Americans sometimes have a standard American accent and sometimes have a regional accent but unless they are first generation immigrants typically don't have a foreign accent, except again in places like South Florida and South Texas.

Definitely more similarity due to how Black people got to America in the first place and due to more than 90% living in the same region in America under the same conditions up un till the early 1900's. People classified as White came to this country in waves from different European countries under different circumstances and times and were able to maintain more of their mother tongue that would later evolve into what we're more familiar with today.

With that said, I still stand by my belief that AAVE origins is somewhere in the middle of being a Creole pidgin language and having obvious influence from the White southern dialect. Due to the Great migration and integration over time the more obvious African influences in AAVE have started to become more watered down yet that doesn't mean that there's zero influence even to this day.

Many years ago BBC did a tv series called The Adventure of English that went into great detail on the history of English. One episode they dedicated specifically to English in America and touched on AAVE. This small clip below illustrates the origins of AAVE. People dismissing the sophistication and complexity of AAVE's origins and writing it off as simply some redneck culture clearly have an agenda steeped in racism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvuWSJI87r8

I'd also recommend these 2 videos on the origins of AAVE whenever one has the chance to. A subject often overlooked and misunderstood in this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5OYV3ewZQQ
This one is from 1970 (clearly this concept is not as new as some what like people to think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QFpVgPl9tQ
(pretty good documentary that goes into great detail)

Old 12-09-2022, 09:24 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Why do American-born Blacks have accents even when American-born Asians and Hispanics typically don't?

It is one thing to be born into away of talking
and another to continue to or grow out of a way of talking.

In the end it always comes down to individual choice.

I have learned over decades the following:
If I close my eyes and listen to people speak traditional English skin color and race does not exist.
It is only when vernacular is introduced that identity of race becomes pronounced.

If Growing together as a nation is the goal admired by most Americans why can't the language be assimilated as well?

Old 12-10-2022, 04:57 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
African American English has a much longer and deeper history in the US than the other two.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:31 AM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
African American English has a much longer and deeper history in the US than the other two.
^This, which seems to be overlooked. I don’t think many people realize that outside of Native Americans, Black Americans have longer roots in terms of volume in what is now the United States.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:43 AM

14,014 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Also Blacks are much more segregated.

Outside of goths South you can pretty much order how “integrated” a city is by what percent of its minorities are African American.

Which is why the Midwest is more segregated than the Northeast which is more segregated than the West Coast.

Massachusetts is about equally Black and Asian (almost) but you’d be hard pressed to find 75% Asian swaths (bet inns a couple small census blocks) while I’d wager most African Americans in MA live in ~75%+ AA neighborhoods. Maybe a little less because I think Afro-Latinos are increasingly identifying as “mixed race” on the census.

I wouldn’t be surprised if CA has more black people in 80%+ black census blocks than Asians in 80%+ Asian census blocks despite CA being like 3x more Asian

Old 12-10-2022, 09:02 AM

198 posts, read 261,745 times
Accents are rhythms. Afro Americans are a rhythmic people. Afro Americans walk and speak to an innate rhythm. That is one of the main reasons Richard Pryor was such a great comedian he spoke whether it was about the black “street”or the black church it was with an Afro American accent that was theirs whether good or bad it was a black “thing” Hip Hop captures that same innate Rhythms of all darker hue people world wide.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:48 AM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Also Blacks are much more segregated.

Outside of goths South you can pretty much order how “integrated” a city is by what percent of its minorities are African American.

Which is why the Midwest is more segregated than the Northeast which is more segregated than the West Coast.

Massachusetts is about equally Black and Asian (almost) but you’d be hard pressed to find 75% Asian swaths (bet inns a couple small census blocks) while I’d wager most African Americans in MA live in ~75%+ AA neighborhoods. Maybe a little less because I think Afro-Latinos are increasingly identifying as “mixed race” on the census.

I wouldn’t be surprised if CA has more black people in 80%+ black census blocks than Asians in 80%+ Asian census blocks despite CA being like 3x more Asian
This right here. Asians and Latinos are becoming much more integrated into the dominant culture, therefore losing any distinctive speech patterns.

Old 12-10-2022, 01:15 PM

530 posts, read 820,776 times
Bottom line, African Americans speak with an American accent.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:54 PM

809 posts, read 467,694 times
With the rise of Tik-Tok and other social platforms, I'm noticing a rise in AAVE speech patterns across various racial groups/social classes. I think we may be seeing the start of an AAVE-influenced American Multicultural English, akin to London Multicultural English - if it doesn't already exist (e.g. diverse urban areas across the country such as the Bay Area, Honolulu, and Las Vegas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.