Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 12:32 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,115,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
naw, no one other than Robert Williams uses ebonics to refer to Caribbean dialects let's be very honest. No one ever has... maybe that was the original meaning but it certainly has become synonymous with AAVE. It probably always as been.

and it's not an insulting term to anyone other than ivory-tower Black academics.
He literally coin the term and made the definition. The term has been most popular referring to AAVE but actual definition is broad is meant to look at the larger network of dialects created between West Africa and the Africa diaspora.

These terms in general never been very popular nobody actually say Ebonics, or AAVE. Most people Just say Black English, talking black, or Black accent. Only people use these terms are those "ivory-tower Black academics" in the first place. And unfortunately the right wing who hijack the term Ebonics. To misuse to mean just slang or uneducated speak and not the actual meaning. As a way to map out dialects and accents some African Americans etc was speaking for generation. Obliviously their nothing wrong with saying Ebonics but depending on text now that word can be loaded. This is why AAVE has become more popular, it says straight up what is with out the abstraction. But I agree with 908Boi with the reclaiming part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 01:05 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,115,788 times
I think I answer this in thread before a lot of Hispanics do have accents, especially in the west and places like Florida etc that have long establish Hispanic communities .

With some immigrants there pressure to assimilate. Most African Americans ancestors lived in the South, because the South is already part of the US there less incentive to assimilate to what ever locally that places sounds like. They already speaking in an American accent. Another important note is the history of segregation.

My Grandparents are from Mississippi, Arkansas etc, My parents are from Memphis but during great migration they moved to the west side of Chicago when they was young. The West and Southsides of Chicago are huge areas were significant numbers of other African Americans migrate from The South moved. This cause a connections in accents. Now in some neighborhoods up North, in the Midwest and out west basically have similar to Southern Blacks accents with a regional twist. Because of this you can still tell the difference between a Black New York from a Black Atlanta accent.

Old 12-28-2022, 04:57 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,114,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You said no then preceded to agree with me 40%. Ebonics the terms was coin by Robert Williams in the 70's. Ebonics is broader than AAVE, as the original term also included the Afro Caribbean etc dialects. AAVE is specific African American. but term fell out of popularity because it basically became an buzz word by the right wing to misused in a prejudice derogatory matter. Similar how terms like "woke" and "Fake news" are now loaded political hijacked terms. So modernly AAVE is used more mainstream.
My understanding of it was specific Afram. Not including Afro diaspora related dialects nor any examples used back then carried it.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:48 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,000,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Ebonics is broader than just African American, it refers to all the languages, dialects created by African diaspora though slavery. This includes Caribbean and etc. AAVE is obliviously just African American.

But more modernly the term has been used in a prejudice derogatory matter, Ebonics basically is now a loaded and outdated term. AAVE is used more by mainstream linguists.
Thank you. I get that it's outdated, but this came up because Mr Jester posted about black Californians speaking with an "Ebonics" accent and was corrected that it's not Ebonics but is "AAVE". In the context of Mr Jester's post those terms are clearly referencing the same thing and the only thing wrong is that the term "Ebonics" is outdated.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:01 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,000,261 times
I may have already mentioned this when this topic first came up, but AAVE is looked down upon by Americans of different races, including Black. Unfairly so imo. The same people that have a positive impression of similarly non-standard English accents, such as Cockney or even patois, look down on AAVE.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:15 AM

325 posts, read 206,960 times
There's definitely a hispanic accent, although I can't put my finger on what causes it. You'll hear it in places like East LA, the Rio Grande Valley, parts of San Antonio/Houston/Austin/DFW (not sure if it's similar in Miami, haven't been there since I was a kid)

There might be a more proper word for it, but I've always known it as the cholo/chola accent.

Some people will say it's from being bilingual but I'm not too sure I agree. A lot of the people I've met with that accent don't even speak Spanish. From my experience it seems to come from lower income areas, for whatever reason. I know plenty of people that are fluent in English and Spanish from middle class/upper middle class areas that have a "regular" American accent.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:54 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,066,281 times
IIRC, the term "ebonics" was originally coined because there was recognition that Latino and other immigrant communities had benefitted from the development of ESL programs, and a desire to recognize that speakers of AAVE may similarly have language issues which could negatively impact school performance.

Old 12-31-2022, 05:13 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,915,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
naw, no one other than Robert Williams uses ebonics to refer to Caribbean dialects let's be very honest. No one ever has... maybe that was the original meaning but it certainly has become synonymous with AAVE. It probably always as been.

and it's not an insulting term to anyone other than ivory-tower Black academics.
In your opinion I assume.

Old 01-07-2023, 02:03 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,766,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Even over here in California, most African-Americans have ebonic accents, while most American-born Asians and Hispanics are virtually indistinguishable in accent from whites. I wonder why that is so, especially considering that the vast majority of African-Americans are many generations removed from Africa, while Asian and Hispanic Americans came here more recently and often can still speak their ancestral tongue.
Everybody has an accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.