Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 06:49 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times

Advertisements

Even over here in California, most African-Americans have ebonic accents, while most American-born Asians and Hispanics are virtually indistinguishable in accent from whites. I wonder why that is so, especially considering that the vast majority of African-Americans are many generations removed from Africa, while Asian and Hispanic Americans came here more recently and often can still speak their ancestral tongue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 08:11 PM

481 posts, read 422,858 times
If I had to take a stab at it, it may be due to the deep-rooted segregation that African Americans have faced, and the subsequent growth of a culture of their own, parallel to the mainstream culture of the United States. Whereas many other groups eventually "joined" with the mainstream "Anglo-American" sphere to some degree or another, the segregation/racism African Americans have experienced goes back before the US existed, and thus their culture is the most resilient in the face of Anglo-American assimilation.

This is an EXTREMELY complex and somewhat subjective topic though.

A good start is to read about the fascinating origin of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...nglish#Origins

I hoped to have not bothered anyone with my theorizing. I apologize if I over-generalized. I am quite interested to learn what more knowledgeable people have to say on it.

Last edited by sad_hotline; 03-02-2019 at 08:19 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 08:14 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
A lot of US born Hispanics have accents.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:11 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
You really live in California and never noticed Mexican-Americans with accents? Some of them have distinctly Latino sounding accents (influenced by being around a lot of Spanish speakers/speaking Spanish with their elders all day long) and some of them have accents that are directly influenced by the black accent you describe (especially in the Bay Area).

Old 03-02-2019, 10:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
My guess is that's it's a cultural thing. As mentioned above, Mexican-Americans also often have a distinct accent, even though they are second generation.

So, it's kind of like a regional accent, where someone from Minnesota sounds different from someone from Alabama. Just add in culture, too.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:28 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
I think it depends on where they grew up and their surroundings. If you're black and grew up in a very white environment where most people around you are white, most of your teachers/friends are white and your parents talk proper and are educated then your speech patterns would likely reflect this.

The Black Community is influential and isolated enough as to where the speech patterns can survive for generations for those that live in or are from heavily black areas. Black America is kinda like its own mini scattered country within a country.

I'm a black person who grew up in a very white suburban environment and people think I talk very white (in their own words). When I go into the city and get around inner-city blacks then I stick out like a SORE THUMB when we converse...its actually kind of hilarious/borderline awkward at times. I do sometimes use black slangs on occasion but I think all races have adopted at least some black slangs too (even if they don't realize it).... like almost everybody says "whats up" now when greeting somebody.

I should also add that black people (men especially) naturally usually have a bit more bass, depth and a certain zing to their voices than other races.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 03-03-2019 at 01:38 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 02:07 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

The Black Community is influential and isolated enough as to where the speech patterns can survive for generations for those that live in or are from heavily black areas. Black America is kinda like its own mini scattered country within a country.
Yes, when you think about it, almost every black person in the United States who has prolonged ancestry on the continent came out of the south. When southern blacks relocated they tended to do it in mass waves and to where there were job opportunities. Upon arrival they were immediately sequestered and isolated in every way with the possible exception of their workplace. So speech patterns survived. This is probably the case to some degree even today.

However, R&B and particularly hip hop keep this style of speaking popular with it's slang and high energy and rhythm. And it has actually become popular in other cultures among young people.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:38 PM

232 posts, read 189,809 times
This simply does not apply to Blacks in northern areas such as New England!

Old 03-03-2019, 01:47 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Everyone who speaks has an accent.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM

724 posts, read 560,593 times
Dude everyone has an accent. You probably have one too. Talk to more people in real life. How many people sound exactly the same?

I’d venture between ZERO sand ZERO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.