Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 01:50 PM

10,948 posts, read 6,997,885 times

Advertisements

I'm just glad that there is so much space in this land to allow like-minded folks to live in the areas they enjoy and connect with. Whatever one group thinks of the other is meaningless to me, compared to that positive aspect.

Why the obsession over what others think anyway? Seems so petty and un-American...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 02:10 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,695,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Northeast: History, old, snow/cold, crowded.
Southeast: Spread out, muggy, good food.

well if you say snow/cold would also say Hot/Muggy - to me the summer is more severe than winter in much of the NE save Boston

good food in both

Old 03-06-2019, 04:46 PM

591 posts, read 814,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well if you say snow/cold would also say Hot/Muggy - to me the summer is more severe than winter in much of the NE save Boston

good food in both
It's just what pops into my mind. I recall being in South Carolina and Florida during the summer months as a kid and being drenched in sweat. And nowadays whenever I turn on the news in the winter months I hear about the NE being hit by huge snow storms.

Food wise, the NE and West Coast cuisine is not THAT different. The south on the other hand is a whole different beast (at least in my mind)

Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,938,471 times
I'm from Texas, so I will answer even though my state is sort of a mix of West and South.

Honestly, I'm not too sure what most Texans think. The East is generally seen as a place for business, for one. Definitely a lot more people and less room between towns and cities.

For me, I have always preferred it because of a) the green grass and b) the history.

I will probably move to a small city or town in the East when I can.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:22 PM

oops

Old 03-07-2019, 10:17 AM

10,238 posts, read 13,747,657 times
Depending on where you are out west, there is often an attitude that people from "back east" are just a bunch of damn liberals.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
It's just what pops into my mind. I recall being in South Carolina and Florida during the summer months as a kid and being drenched in sweat. And nowadays whenever I turn on the news in the winter months I hear about the NE being hit by huge snow storms.

Food wise, the NE and West Coast cuisine is not THAT different. The south on the other hand is a whole different beast (at least in my mind)

Fair enough; you are probably right in that the cold probably resonates more for people in more temperate climates, the NE gets all 4 seasons but the cold is probably the part most top of mind different

The South does have some differences food wise, becoming less so in the larger metros and some of it can be very good. Food is really getting better everywhere pretty rapidly IMHO

CA and the northeast are my tow favorite areas of the country but this country has many great areas outside of it.

One thing I feel like I am noticing more is that while the NE historically has been considered more stuffy and provincial I am finding more and more folks on the west coast giving off more of an elitist attitude like the there is WC and then everything else. To me this has become a lot more common in the last 15 or so years; that attitude can be annoying but in general love the WC and have had amazing experiences there over the last 30 years for work leisure and a year living in CA

I see you are from SD, another great area and to me just enough different to make it a really interesting change from LA or even the OC

Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Depending on where you are out west, there is often an attitude that people from "back east" are just a bunch of damn liberals.

I think the same could be said of the west, yet both the west and NE have some substantial conservative enclaves outside of the large cities/metros

Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 AM

15,982 posts, read 10,541,690 times
I grew up in the midwest and now live in the southwest. Having made that transition, it seems that one thing that stands out (beyond the obvious climate and such) is how the culture and society in the east are more judgemental than it is in the west...speaking in general terms. There seems to be more of a need to be in other people's business and to have or express an opinion in the east. In the west there seems to be more of a "clean slate" attitude -- people are OK until they prove otherwise. In the east it seems less so -- there is less benefit of the doubt and more caution, if not suspicion, with strangers. It might all come down to the judgement thing but I haven't seen that as much after moving away from the midwest.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The West is way more liberal in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.