Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM

47 posts, read 61,454 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the darkest and grittiest cities and neighborhoods. I don't really know how to describe it well, but kind of like a romanticized Hell's Kitchen like what you see in Daredevil, or what Hell's Kitchen used to be before it was gentrified. What I like about NYC and Hell's Kitchen are the narrow streets and tall buildings that block the sun and light, and it feels like the city is hugging you kind of because it is dense and compact. LA for example would not be good at this as the streets are a lot wider and it's a very sunny city. When I say gritty and dark I don't mean like abandoned houses like in Detroit I mean more the aesthetic and coziness a dense and dark city or neighborhood provides. What do you all think?

I'm new here so I might not be posting right, but I never knew a forum like this existed there goes all my free time all the threads look so interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Baltimore- too many neighborhoods to list.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:50 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
The Tenderloin in San Francisco is dark, gritty and trendy all at the same time.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:57 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
That's unfortunately no longer "Hell's Kitchen" of today, as depicted and glorified on Daredevil. Hell's Kitchen is now one of the most expensive and gentrified neighborhoods in New York City--no longer gritty or dark--but full of new construction and expensive.

If you are looking for "gritty and dark" cities, my suggestion is to look at some rough neighborhoods in rust belt cities or cities that have not experienced a ton of growth or gentrification like other cities. In New York City, gritty is confined to bad neighborhoods, which could be classified today as Brownsville and East New York in Brooklyn (although some decently good change happening in some areas), or a few areas in the Bronx. Although the Bronx is not as rough or gritty as it was in the 70s/80s, and is now gentrifying as well in many areas.

Although these are smaller to mid-sized cities, I'd suggest some neighborhoods and areas in cities like Atlantic City, NJ, Trenton, NJ, East St Louis, IL, Flint, MI, Youngstown, OH, Newark, NJ, Albany, NY, Hartford, CT, Bridgeport, CT, Gary, IN, Toledo, OH.

Large cities where you could find some dark, bad and gritty neighborhoods in some spots would be areas in Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, St Louis, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and even Philadelphia.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 03-08-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Baltimore- too many neighborhoods to list.
I've always thought of Baltimore as being more like the Bronx or Detroit in it's grittiness, with it coming from being run down. What makes Baltimore gritty? Any pics that show it well I'm interested as I hadn't really thought of it.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Tenderloin in San Francisco is dark, gritty and trendy all at the same time.
The thing that turns me off about SF is the insanely high cost of living. Is The Tenderloin bad in that regard? Found this on it's Wikipedia page though: "Sgt. John Macaulay Park, named after a San Francisco police officer who was killed in the adjacent alley while on duty, is a small gated playground at the corner of O'Farrell and Larkin Streets. Although the park is located across the street from a strip club, it is frequented by parents and children from the neighborhood." That is pretty gritty and dark wow, seems like we definitely have a contender. What is the neighborhood like, especially at night?

BTW is there any way to quote multiple replies in one post, so I don't have to respond to all of them individually?

Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That's unfortunately no longer "Hell's Kitchen" of today, as depicted and glorified on Daredevil. Hell's Kitchen is now one of the most expensive and gentrified neighborhoods in New York City--no longer gritty or dark--but full of new construction and expensive.

If you are looking for "gritty and dark" cities, my suggestion is to look at some rough neighborhoods in rust belt cities or cities that have not experienced a ton of growth or gentrification like other cities. In New York City, gritty is confined to bad neighborhoods, which could be classified today as Brownsville and East New York in Brooklyn (although some decently good change happening in some areas), or a few areas in the Bronx. Although the Bronx is not as rough or gritty as it was in the 70s/80s, and is now gentrifying as well in many areas.

Although these are smaller to mid-sized cities, I'd suggest some neighborhoods and areas in cities like Atlantic City, NJ, Trenton, NJ, East St Louis, IL, Flint, MI, Youngstown, OH, Dayton, OH, Albany, NY, Hartford, CT, Bridgeport, CT, Gary, IN, Toledo, OH.

Large cities where you could find some dark, bad and gritty neighborhoods in some spots would be areas in Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, St Louis, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and even Philadelphia.
Yea that's what I thought. Brownsville to me just feels rough and not really gritty, I guess NYC has almost completely lost it's grittiness. I'll definitely check out those smaller cities but those large ones are mostly what I was thinking. Any neighborhoods that you guys can think of in those large cities that carry that aesthetic well? I just thought of Vegas, Sin City. You guys think Vegas is real gritty? I don't think the streets are as narrow and it's as dark but I bet it's pretty gritty.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:25 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Philly

https://goo.gl/maps/o1JyoMZdbKr

Last edited by Space_League; 03-08-2019 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-08-2019, 11:34 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR101 View Post
The thing that turns me off about SF is the insanely high cost of living. Is The Tenderloin bad in that regard? Found this on it's Wikipedia page though: "Sgt. John Macaulay Park, named after a San Francisco police officer who was killed in the adjacent alley while on duty, is a small gated playground at the corner of O'Farrell and Larkin Streets. Although the park is located across the street from a strip club, it is frequented by parents and children from the neighborhood." That is pretty gritty and dark wow, seems like we definitely have a contender. What is the neighborhood like, especially at night?

BTW is there any way to quote multiple replies in one post, so I don't have to respond to all of them individually?
Hit the little + button next to quote (multi-quote button). Then when you are ready, go to bottom and hit submit reply.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Not 100% what I'm looking for, wish the buildings were a little taller, not a big fan of yards in cities, but that's pretty close. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Hit the little + button next to quote (multi-quote button). Then when you are ready, go to bottom and hit submit reply.
Oh ok there we go thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.