Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 02:07 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
??? - are comparing northern cities to southern? Houston and Chicago are NOTHING alike. Charlotte and Philly are NOTHING alike! I've lived in Philly and Houston and visited the others where family lived. Boston is not a majority black city as is Baltimore and in terms of education/income, Baltimore is not even close. D.C., where I've also lived, is much closer in size/demographics to Boston than NYC. Chicago is a better comparison to NYC.
I don't think you he meant it comparing the actual city. But either the actual black communities in itself or the impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 09:35 PM

7 posts, read 3,770 times
If you ask me I’d bet St. Louis is the capital of African Americans, what other city besides Washington D.C. has blacks at 50% of the population?

Baltimore is segregated as hell, I was in its neighboring county a few weeks ago as a tourist. Walked into a mall and was the only white man there, stares from everyone.

Black Capital - St. Louis/Washington D.C.
Muslim Capital - Detroit/Philadelphia
Asian Capital - New York/Los Angeles
Indian Capital - New Jersey
Hispanic Capital - Miami/Los Angeles/El Paso
White Capital - Seattle/Portland

Old 03-24-2019, 10:33 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,096,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Feeder View Post
If you ask me I’d bet St. Louis is the capital of African Americans, what other city besides Washington D.C. has blacks at 50% of the population?

Baltimore is segregated as hell, I was in its neighboring county a few weeks ago as a tourist. Walked into a mall and was the only white man there, stares from everyone.

Black Capital - St. Louis/Washington D.C.
Muslim Capital - Detroit/Philadelphia
Asian Capital - New York/Los Angeles
Indian Capital - New Jersey
Hispanic Capital - Miami/Los Angeles/El Paso
White Capital - Seattle/Portland
Are you serious ?
Detroit is at 82% & Jackson is 79%.
Black have multiple "capitals".

Old 03-24-2019, 11:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Basques: Reno
Hmong: Minneapolis
Mexicans: Chicago
Puerto Ricans: New York
Ethiopians: DC
Japanese: Columbus, Ohio
Germans: Cincinnati
Urban Native Americans: Albuquerque
Mainland Hawaiians: Las Vegas
More like Milwaukee for Germans

Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Los Angeles is definitely the Filipino capital of the U.S. It has the most Filipinos outside Manila, making it the most popular city for immigrants. Not surprising given the ties between the Philippines and the U.S.! Most Filipinos focus on L.A. and S.F. and rarely venture to the east.

Houston. Not just Mexicans, but Central and South Americans along with some Caribbeans. Lots of frequent flights at IAH to Latin America that can't be found at DFW, AUS or SAT.

The western suburb of Katy is the second-most popular Venezuelan community in the U.S. (behind the Miami suburbs like Doral, Kendall, et al.) and it is concentrated in the affluent Cinco Ranch master-planned community in the southern half of the Katy area. If you hear Spanish spoken around here, the default to assume a Venezuelan accent.

As far as Filipinos rarely venturing to the east coast, Jersey city and Virginia Beach, Va would like to say otherwise.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:24 AM

532 posts, read 821,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Los Angeles is definitely the Filipino capital of the U.S. It has the most Filipinos outside Manila, making it the most popular city for immigrants. Not surprising given the ties between the Philippines and the U.S.! Most Filipinos focus on L.A. and S.F. and rarely venture to the east.
Are we just going by what city has the largest population of a particular group? What about Daly City (which somebody else mentioned. It has to be mentioned)? Or Stockton, arguably the city that's most significant to Filipino-American history and culture?

Going by metro S.F. has a higher percentage of Filipinos than L.A.
And Honolulu higher than either of them. But for the mainland it goes Vallejo, Stockton, then San Francisco.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Even Denver or Albuquerque would be better than Chicago.
Is Denver more Mexican than Hispano? Albuquerque is still Hispano by far, though Mexicans have really increased in population in the last couple of decades. The dominant culture is far more Hispano (Spanish colonial) than Mexican here.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:36 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Is Denver more Mexican than Hispano? Albuquerque is still Hispano by far, though Mexicans have really increased in population in the last couple of decades. The dominant culture is far more Hispano (Spanish colonial) than Mexican here.
//www.city-data.com/forum/54624294-post18.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Absolutely. There are Mexicans here, and I am aware they predominate in numbers, but the cultural influence of the Spanish/Hispanos is much more dominant; many Mexicans in metro Denver are several generations in and don't retain much of the culture, and they kind of blend with the Hispanos (Pueblo, CO is similar; very Mexican, but not really "Mexican").

Old 03-28-2019, 03:06 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,720 times
Here's another interesting one I don't think anyone has thought of:

Capital of Chicagoans - Phoenix
Capital of New Yorkers - Miami
Capital of New Orleaners - Houston
Capital of Michiganers - Chicago

Okay maybe there are not ethnic, so I guess this is cheating.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Basques: Reno
Update: I'm changing my vote to Elko. I was there yesterday, and it's much more a visible part of the culture there - I saw multiple Basque diners and Basque flags and swirly designs all over the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.