Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times

Advertisements

Is it a Southern thing to call license plates "car tags"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 AM

256 posts, read 151,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Maybe. I hear both, but I almost exclusively say car tags. Not sure why.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:22 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Due to tourism the areas with the most out of state plates I've seen are Orlando, Las Vegas, the Florida Keys, and Washington DC. Also plenty in New Orleans as well.

New York actually not so much because most tourists don't drive into New York City. Besides taxis are half the traffic in NY. Los Angeles actually didn't have as many out of state plates as I expected.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Yeah, I think it was still at least 90% Illinois plates but sometimes you'd see those, or other Midwestern states like Iowa and Michigan. Once in a while I'd see California, Texas, Georgia, Colorado, Florida, New York, etc. but I can see why Chicago is known for not being that nationally cosmopolitan and mostly attracting other Midwesterners.
A record 56 plus million visitors and not nationally cosmopolitan? Most tourists fly in and fly out. I have seen alot of New York plates in Chicago lately, though.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Haha. I never heard of the term “car tags” either and I thought this thread was going to be about graffiti tags on cars like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loisst...-fGjF9e-4on1wm

Got excited for a minute.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:29 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I definitely got a lot of double takes and random conversations started driving across the deep south and up the east coast with my bright yellow New Mexico plates when I moved up to Vermont a couple weeks ago. I also think people aren't use to seeing as many different license plates at this time of year, rather than the typical summer travel season with the exception of snowbird migration. Now I'm driving around small towns here in Vermont, I'll get out of my car and hear"wow, that's quote a change" having moved from NM to VT.

I remember visiting Phoenix and driving around Arizona during spring break, seems the most common plates were from Washington and Oregon along with a lot of western Canadian plates (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba), all chasing the sun.

If you look at the parking lots of marijuana dispensaries in Colorado during tourist seasons, you'll see many of them full of Texas and Oklahoma plates.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:59 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Probably DC followed by Philly and NYC, all due to the location of the cities really.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:19 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times
Quote:
Yep, it's mostly a Southern phrase. Even our renewal spots here are called "tag offices" here in Atlanta.

Calling the plate a tag is an even bigger Southernism than "y'all."

Old 03-16-2019, 02:49 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I dont think you'll ever see a DC tag outside of the DMV. I'm surprised you dont see MD in Atlanta.
You'll see DC and MD tags in Fulton and Clayton Counties. I have. Due to the employer I work for, I've seen all the states West Coast and Eastern seaboard states (plus PA, lol). Hawaii, Guam, Alaska, DR. The Midwestern states like OH, Illinois, Michigan, etc are heavy in metro Atlanta too. Ontario every now and then.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:18 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,211,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I definitely got a lot of double takes and random conversations started driving across the deep south and up the east coast with my bright yellow New Mexico plates when I moved up to Vermont a couple weeks ago. I also think people aren't use to seeing as many different license plates at this time of year, rather than the typical summer travel season with the exception of snowbird migration. Now I'm driving around small towns here in Vermont, I'll get out of my car and hear"wow, that's quote a change" having moved from NM to VT.
New Mexico's turquoise plates have one of the most distinctive color schemes in the country. I think they have replaced the yellow plates in recent years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.