Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times

Advertisements

Florida changed so much to where people forget how southern Florida actually is. Miami and Orlando get so much of the spotlight to people don't associate Florida with the rest of the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 4,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Posting this here because I want to hear from people across the US forum, not just in the Florida forum. In your mind, which city best exemplifies "quintessential" Florida, if such a thing exists-- the diversity, the landscape, the insane and wacky and unique mix of people and cultures across the state? Where can vestiges of "Old Florida" be found alongside the new, representing the best of what Florida has to offer?

I'm guessing a lot of people will say Miami; I nominate Orlando.
Melbourne

Old 04-03-2019, 10:20 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Inland Florida or the panhandle. South Florida is not real Florida. Real Florida is the undeveloped beaches, lakes, rivers, pine trees and oak trees with Spanish moss. Everything else is commercialized crap. St Augustine’s is probably the first real Florida city. Unfortunately the rest of that county is getting bulldozed down. Tampa, Ocala, Jacksonville, tally, ft Myers and Vero Beach are others. Miami is another country of its own.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:51 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
As another native Floridian.. I nominate Tampa it has everything you'd expect from the sunshine state. I'm from Orlando winch is very Floridian as well. However, Florida has the longest coastline in the lower 48 it'd be absurd to not nominate a city on the coast.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:56 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Pensacola, Tallahassee, and Daytona Beach are all "quintessential" Old Florida cities to me.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:14 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Funny thing is that as much as Miami doesn't carry that Florida quintessence, there is no where else that a city like Miami which has its own distinctive identity in the world could possibly exist anywhere else, but Florida!

Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 AM

467 posts, read 426,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Funny thing is that as much as Miami doesn't carry that Florida quintessence, there is no where else that a city like Miami which has its own distinctive identity in the world could possibly exist anywhere else, but Florida!
Great point haha.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 4,968 times
Having lived in Florida for almost 50 years, I would vote for St. Augustine and "Old Town" Key West. They hearken back to the simpler times prior to the over development of many areas of the state.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Posting this here because I want to hear from people across the US forum, not just in the Florida forum. In your mind, which city best exemplifies "quintessential" Florida, if such a thing exists-- the diversity, the landscape, the insane and wacky and unique mix of people and cultures across the state? Where can vestiges of "Old Florida" be found alongside the new, representing the best of what Florida has to offer?

I'm guessing a lot of people will say Miami; I nominate Orlando.

No way to the big cities as they're dominated by transplants from the Midwest and the Northeast.

I'm going with Lakeland. I dated a girl from that area and man was she beautiful. Sweet gal.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:19 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Florida changed so much to where people forget how southern Florida actually is. Miami and Orlando get so much of the spotlight to people don't associate Florida with the rest of the South.
This is due to growth of the state. In the 1920 census Florida was the state with the least amount of people in the southeast. Now Florida has more than double any other state in the South East. My family is from the Ocala Gainesville area and all of them have southern accents still. Something I didn't notice until I move to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.