Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times

Advertisements

How many do you need to see? One guy was flying one in my middle class, diverse, NJ neighborhood but he was an old guy and he took it down about a year ago. No one persecuted him. The State flag of Mississippi still has the confederate flag in the upper left corner. Gee, I guess the fake news media got it wrong when they said that white supremicists with torches encircled the demonstrators. Never heard it was led by an Obama voting Occupy Wall Street liberal. You know most people have their prejudices. But the right wingers and Trumpers don't even know they are prejudiced. But I've been hearing the same rationalizations since the 1950's, so I interpret MAGA as going back there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I grew up in SC in the 80s and 90s and I rarely see a Confederate flag here.

The torched light parade in Charlottesville was led by a guy who voted for Obama in 2012 and was a member of Occupy Wall Street. Not exactly a conservative.

Last edited by bobspez; 03-16-2019 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 11:02 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
I never said there were no Confederate flags. They aren't common though.

You have no idea how those people in Charlottesville voted. I just pointed out the leader had voted for Obama in 2012. It is incredible you mention that event but don't know this by now.

You could never prove conservative who you don't know and have never been in the public eye are racist in court. So you are characterizing strangers as racist simply because they don't vote for your preferred party.

To me, there is no difference between the Miss state flag remaining the same and the Democratic party still using that name. If one is evidence of racism today, then the other one must also be racist.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-16-2019 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-16-2019, 11:04 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
You're more likely to be physically attacked in liberal cities now for wearing a certain red hat

Old 03-16-2019, 11:06 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Good luck, MelCam.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:37 PM

31 posts, read 53,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Good luck, MelCam.
Thanks Tim Randal Walker 🙄😀

Old 03-16-2019, 12:48 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
You are very welcome, MelCam.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:55 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelCam View Post
Yeah I don’t really understand why I was getting asked that!! Nobody cares what your religion is or what side you are politically in the UK.
I wish it were like that here. Didn't used to be nearly as bad years ago.
Good thing is, much of it is on social media rather than real life. Face to face, people behave themselves a little better. When they don't, it's all over social media as if it's a big show to get attention.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:27 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
All I know is if you move to South Carolina or Georgia..........

Be prepared for the phrase "Boy, it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk." in the summer.

And if you go to Wisconsin.........

Be prepared for the phrase "Boy, it's colder than a well diggers arse in the Klondike." in the winter.

There or some others I could share but this is a family forum.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Rebel flags, torch light white power parades aren't exhibited anywhere else. You don't have to be persecuted to be shunned socially. There may not be lynchings but the racism and anti-liberal bias (except in a few urban areas) is still pretty strong 50 years later. It's often discreet, but it's dyed in the wool.
OMG.

I've lived in the south most of my life and I swear to you I've seen more rebel flags flown in other regions (and even in other countries) than I've seen in the south. As for "white power parades" - sorry to disappoint you in that regard as well, but I've never seen one - anywhere. I know they do happen very occasionally but that can be anywhere. Here's a map of active hate groups in the US - oh, look, it pretty much mirrors where the highest populations are. Surprise, surprise (not).
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...52916532644671

Meanwhile here's a map of marches for solidarity with Charlottesville after the racist attack on the church there. So I'd say these are "anti white power parades."
https://www.vox.com/2017/8/13/161412...ible-locations

Good grief.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG.

I've lived in the south most of my life and I swear to you I've seen more rebel flags flown in other regions (and even in other countries) than I've seen in the south. As for "white power parades" - sorry to disappoint you in that regard as well, but I've never seen one - anywhere. I know they do happen very occasionally but that can be anywhere. Here's a map of active hate groups in the US - oh, look, it pretty much mirrors where the highest populations are. Surprise, surprise (not).
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...52916532644671

Meanwhile here's a map of marches for solidarity with Charlottesville after the racist attack on the church there. So I'd say these are "anti white power parades."
https://www.vox.com/2017/8/13/161412...ible-locations

Good grief.
I sort of agree except the more rebel flags in other regions part. I mean, obviously we all have different experiences, but from mine, it's not even close. Rebel flags are everywhere in almost any part of the south. Maybe not pervasive everywhere, but certainly present to some degree.
Yes, I've seen them in other parts of the country but it's usually an anomaly.
But yeah, the south is no more racist than any other region. Maybe less so in some cases.
My recommendation for Wisconsin had everything to do with livability and being a fantastic area for families. Wasn't really considering politics or religion much either.
It's among the best anywhere for that especially if you're not close to family and friends somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.