Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times

Advertisements

My favorite video game representation of cities is as follows:

GTA IV for New York
GTA V for LA
Watch Dogs for Chicago

I gotta give The Crew 1 & 2 a special shoutout for giving players a scaled down version of the lower 48.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 09:28 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
My favorite San Diego TV show was Simon and Simon. I also liked the A&E reality TV show Family Plots from San Diego.
Simon and Simon, or Seman and Seman as we’d call it as kids, was an awesome show. I still hum the beginning of the theme song from time to time when I’m on the 5 passing downtown or going over the Coronado bridge.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:36 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Albuquerque: Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, In Plain Sight -- these come to mind but I'm not sure they would be my personal favorites but they are entertaining. There are tons more...you can't go far without running into a film crew. Breaking Bad has such a cult following that there is a city tour in an old RV going to all the filming sites.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:49 AM

724 posts, read 559,376 times
Quote:
My favorite San Diego TV show was Simon and Simon. I also liked the A&E reality TV show Family Plots from San Diego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Simon and Simon, or Seman and Seman as we’d call it as kids, was an awesome show. I still hum the beginning of the theme song from time to time when I’m on the 5 passing downtown or going over the Coronado bridge.
I just wikipedia'd this show. Of course it stopped filming the year I was born lol.

Quote:
Albuquerque: Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, In Plain Sight -- these come to mind but I'm not sure they would be my personal favorites but they are entertaining. There are tons more...you can't go far without running into a film crew. Breaking Bad has such a cult following that there is a city tour in an old RV going to all the filming sites.
For all the Breaking Bad answers, I don't think there's gonna be a show that will top that for Albuquerque ever. Such a great series. I love Better Call Saul too, but the pacing of the show is weird. It's starting to pick up now!

Quote:
Those living in NY have an unfair advantage.
Actually, I think its sort of underrepresented in terms of video games, if anything. Since 9/11, most first person shooters/action games eschew using New York as a setting for obvious reasons. Same with games like Fallout.

The only exception really is Grand Theft Auto.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:17 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Quote:
It was one of my favorite shows. SD was a great city for this. It's too bad that no other shows have been set in SD since then. I was very jealous of SD back then since it had the show. Table has turned: San Jose has the great show(The Good Doctor) and SD is jealous!!!

Old 03-29-2019, 09:24 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Now we finally have another. Not only is it set in San Diego but it’s set in my small neighborhood!

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...507782541.html

It’s basically about folks and their neighbors drinking in their backyard adjacent the sweet canyons of South Park.

That would be us LOL!

Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM

724 posts, read 559,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Now we finally have another. Not only is it set in San Diego but it’s set in my small neighborhood!

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...507782541.html

It’s basically about folks and their neighbors drinking in their backyard adjacent the sweet canyons of South Park.

That would be us LOL!
I'm getting old because I'd actually watch that haha. The concept looks cool. Shows should really go back to being more relatable to real life because they're running out of outlandish, Game of Thrones type ideas.

Honestly, I'm surprised San Diego-TJ isn't featured in more movies AND video games (aside from Tony Hawk, off the top of my head) because the element of the Mexican border and a completely different world south of idyllic San Diego would be a pretty cool video game. I know LA sucks up a lot of the San Diego exposure in general, but people still know about San Diego in the rest of the coutnry.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:35 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Not much is filmed in Seattle these days. But lots of stuff filmed in Vancouver is set here.

It's usually a surprise to me. I'll be watching something and oh look, it's set here or we have a cameo.

For all Vancouver's greatness as a city, for all its continued prominence, and given its huge film industry, it sure doesn't play itself very often at least that I've noticed.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:17 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Default Chicago

Chicago's got a few, but some of my favorites are some oldies that I catch once in a while:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off- the ultimate Chicago film
While you were Sleeping
The Lakehouse
The Dark Knight
Ordinary People
The Break Up
The Blues Brothers
The Fugitive

Some TV:

Mike and Mollie
Chicago Fire
Married with Children
Good Times

Old 03-29-2019, 02:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Minneapolis... 'Fargo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Fargo is a fantastic film. Though doesn't take place in St. Paul, I may or may not move to Minneapolis soon anyway... either way, Twin Cities!
Agreed — Fargo really is a modern classic!

As for TV, obviously the best pick is the Mary Tyler Moore Show. The opening and closing credits do a good job of highlighting how green and beautiful it is here. Every time I see Mary taking the escalator up to the second level of the Crystal Court, I'm astonished by how well IDS Center has aged. Still looks like it was built yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.