Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 06:17 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this topic has been done before but what area do you think should be a national park that currently is not one? I really love the royal gorge in Colorado and it made me realize how many beautiful areas don't make the cut. Another area is the black hills of south Dakota. I know badlands is a NP but I like the black hills better. Its true they aren't as tall as the Rockies but some of the rock formations are very unique. Imo, they feel like a more than just foothills to the Rockies. FYI the black hills are a national forest and not a national park. What other areas to do ya got?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 06:40 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Black History is finally gaining some traction as far as funding and preservation efforts so perhaps the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad NHP in Maryland. https://www.nps.gov/hatu/index.htm

Old 03-31-2019, 09:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
National park candidates have to include diversity of ecosystems or other unusual convergence of natural and/or historic features, among other criteria. They can’t just be scenic.

The entry bar is high.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:24 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
I live in a neighborhood that is surrounded by our newest National Park...the Indiana Dunes National Park...which was so designated on February 15.

Previously it was part of the National Park system but was labeled Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

My guess is Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan will soon try for a similar designation upgrade.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:35 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
New Mexico's congressional delegation are trying to upgrade two existing national monuments in the state to national park status, Bandelier and White Sands.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:21 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I don't know if this topic has been done before but what area do you think should be a national park that currently is not one? I really love the royal gorge in Colorado and it made me realize how many beautiful areas don't make the cut. Another area is the black hills of south Dakota. I know badlands is a NP but I like the black hills better. Its true they aren't as tall as the Rockies but some of the rock formations are very unique. Imo, they feel like a more than just foothills to the Rockies. FYI the black hills are a national forest and not a national park. What other areas to do ya got?
Wind Cave is a national park within the Black Hills.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I think the next national park to come online is Indiana Dunes. Technically, I think it's an NP already, but it's a very small space comparatively and needs a lot of work IMO.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
National Parks are overrated and just attract hordes of tourists and create infrastucture that diminishes the solitude and natural character of areas of great natural grandeur.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:33 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I don't think we should designate any more national parks or monuments, until we can protect the ones we already have. Some are threatened with resource exploitation, while others have been reduced in size by executive order, to a tiny fraction of their original size. I'm not sure what the point is, in designating new parks, if the decisions are going to be reversed, and resource exploitation concessions in existing parks are going to be handed out to corporations.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...onal-monuments
Quote:
On a visit to Utah on Monday, [Dec. 2017] President Trump announced his proclamations dramatically shrinking the size of the state's two massive national monuments, Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante. Taken together, Trump's orders mark the largest reversal of national monument protections in U.S. history.

The Bears Ears National Monument will go from roughly 1.3 million acres to roughly 228,000 — only about 15 percent of its original size. And Grand Staircase will be diminished by roughly half,

Old 04-01-2019, 08:32 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think we should designate any more national parks or monuments, until we can protect the ones we already have. Some are threatened with resource exploitation, while others have been reduced in size by executive order, to a tiny fraction of their original size. I'm not sure what the point is, in designating new parks, if the decisions are going to be reversed, and resource exploitation concessions in existing parks are going to be handed out to corporations.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...onal-monuments
The original size of Grand Staircase-Escalante is about the same as the size of the state of Connecticut. That seems like a lot of land to "steal" from Utah and make off-limits for their own uses.

As for the OP's question, I would have picked Monument Valley, except that I think it's already a Tribal National Park. So I guess that's out.

Somewhat related to this is the status of Midway Island (site of the Battle of Midway in World War II) in the Pacific. It is currently designated as the Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge and Battle of Midway National Memorial. It's run by the Fish and Wildlife Service, whose mission is to protect the wildlife -- at the expense of letting humans actually go there and see it for themselves. I'd like to see it transferred to the control of the National Park Service, as they are used to protecting locations of historic and natural significance while still allowing human access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.