Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:50 PM

16,631 posts, read 29,306,224 times

Advertisements

Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 01:01 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,790,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
And once again, we have Vermont for the win!
Canadians like Vermont, as well. But the answer to the OP's question depends on where in Canada Vermont would go. Insert Vermont into a large rural area in, say, Eastern Ontario or somewhere in the Maritimes? Sure. In many ways, you could incorporate Vermont into rural areas of Quebec, though rural Quebec is VERY French.

But Canada's major cities -- Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary -- are large, urban, busy, and very diverse, similar to NYC, Philly, or Chicago. In other words, the antithesis of Vermont (though I admit I say that as someone who hasn't been to Vermont in 25+ years). Would Vermonters like that change of pace?

Old 04-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
I'd say Vermont.

Or Alaska (very distant second)

Windsor/Detroit are both very much rust belt and working class, but outside of that.....there's isn't much connecting the rest of Canada to Michigan. It's a stretch for sure - even though there is a lot of cross border activity between Canada and Michigan.

Detroit/Toronto, or Detroit/Ottawa......that's where you really start to see the differences between the two countries. And then you have regions in Canada that line up to the regions here in the US, but that's not really a state that's representative of all of Canada.

In the end, Ontario (and the rest of Canada) is still very rural compared to most of the US (especially the eastern US) - which is why I would go with a rural New England state that is also politically progressive.

Which is why even though Alaska is very rural and a great choice- it's also more conservative/libertarian - which Canada is not.

Michigan can be progressive at times, but we are more of a purple state, not solid blue. And while Canada does have political and religious conservatives - they aren't that equivalent (in terms of power) to conservatives in America. A lot of conservatives here would still call conservatives there - Liberals.

And the two Sault St. Marie's each have different vibes as well. You just know you are in two different countries when you visit each. You can tell those are two separate towns. There really doesn't seem to be much cultural overflow in either direction - even though they share a border. I get that it's a smaller region than the Detroit/Windsor region, but it seems like there's a different dynamic at work at that border. I really can't say much about the Port Huron/Sarina border crossing- except to say that they are both places you drive through to get somewhere else and the alternative to Detroit/Windsor crossing.

As a result, I just can't argue that Michigan should be a clear contender in this challenge in anyway, shape or form.
Great post!

Old 04-05-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
While Michigan is purely American and has a different vibe than Canada, I would still argue that Metro Detroit is the only major metropolitan area in the USA which has the most connection to Canada than any other major city with the possible exception of Buffalo. People in the Detroit area are exposed to Canadian television, radio stations, cross border activity, etc. Most people in the Detroit area can name the prime minister of Canada, political parties, past prime ministers, Canadian holidays, Canadian music bands, Canadian currency (almost everyone has loose Canadian change in their pockets), play Euchre, and play curling.etc. So, it is not like Michiganders are completely culturally seperated to the extent mentioned. Go take a poll with questions about Canada in Metro Detroit and conduct the same one elsewhere, and see which population base provides more accurate responses.
Detroit has a connection to Windsor and perhaps to other smaller towns in southwestern Ontario (ie Sarnia). That's it.

Other parts of Ontario, including around the GTA (Ontario is a huge place. 5 or 6 times the size of Michigan in terms of land mass) are very different from Detroit, culturally speaking, and the residents feel no connection to Detroit. Montrealers feel more of a cultural association with Vermont than Torontonians do with Detroit/Michigan.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-05-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 04:11 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,360,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Ehh, honestly its not as drastic as most people think. I think over time, you'd catch onto it as opposed to something that jumps out at you right away. I think we living in North America tend to exaggerate our differences than there are in reality. It seems pretty superficial, at least from my POV.

How different is the subconscious of the average Anglo-Canadian and average American? I'd venture to say - not that different.

I'll take the L on this. I feel like in casual conversation, I hear more about weight and height in imperial and I thought I saw a Quebec drivers license with imperial measurements.
Not disagreeing with the fact we have more in common than not, but there are some striking differences, such as attitude towards government, how a citizen of a super power views the world, compared to one that is not, for example.

Quebec uses metric on their licenses as well. You might have been looking at an old one.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:16 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,360,364 times
I still think the answer depends on where in Canada someone lives, and vice versa.

Me for instance, have a closer affinity to people in Washington state, than people in Vermont. When visiting I'm treated like a neighbour, and when people from Washington state visit here, I'm sure they would say the same.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:31 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
My guess would be Minnesota or Vermont.

agreed

that does sort of leave western Canada not represented

I guess you have to decide are looking for a places the most populated parts of Canada or the main topography

since Canada has such vast and diverse topography I think aligning the population likely makes more sense and then go with one of these two

something like 70% of the population lives in the little sliver from Toronto to Quebec

Old 04-05-2019, 08:49 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,947,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Detroit has a connection to Windsor and perhaps to other smaller towns in southwestern Ontario (ie Sarnia). That's it.

Other parts of Ontario, including around the GTA (Ontario is a huge place. 5 or 6 times the size of Michigan in terms of land mass) are very different from Detroit, culturally speaking, and the residents feel no connection to Detroit. Montrealers feel more of a cultural association with Vermont than Torontonians do with Detroit/Michigan.
The Soos are closely tied as well, and the UP has a lot in common with Ontario from Sudbury west. Also, Ontario gets it's cable US TV stations from Detroit. When I briefly lived in Montreal, I once drove to Ottawa to to watch the Michigan- Michigan State football game because the Ontario ABC feed came from Detroit whereas Montreal came from NYC, I believe.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,677,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Vancouver, BC is almost like Seattle.
In certain superficial regards such as climate and scenery, yes, but the two cities are actually quite different in many other regards.

Metro Vancouver is more urban, cosmopolitan and compact while Seattle’s metro area sprawls. Vancouver has a much higher East Asian population with a ton of UK ex-pats while Seattle has significantly higher White, African/Black and Hispanic populations. Seattle has significantly higher violent and property crime rates. Seattle is more of a bar town while Vancouver is a club town. Vancouver has way more of a preppie vibe. The economies are completely different. I could go on and on...

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 04-05-2019 at 10:23 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 10:17 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,125,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

I am aware that Ontario is much larger than Michigan - but its mostly unpopulated and only has a population of 14 million people - only 4 million people more than Michigan. You state "Detroit has a connection to Windsor and perhaps to other smaller towns in southwestern Ontario (ie Sarnia). That's it."

You are correct - That's it. Is that not enough? Or the Canadian border with Michigan doesn't count as Canada? Where else is there such a large amount of Canadian-American contact?

Also, let's not get things twisted here. It's not a pledge of honor whether or not people in Toronto have any cultural association with Detroit.

My point is that - in an earlier post, it was argued that Michigan is completly separated and has a different vibe than Canada. My response was simply that if you were to look at American society and make an analysis of what population base in the USA is the most interconnected with Canada and/or knows the most about Canada, it would naturally be a population base which resides right on the border of Canada - Detroit and/or Buffalo. It was more of a tangential point - I wasn't saying which American population base is the most similar to Canada. Rather - what American population base is most connected to Canada. Perhaps it is the 42,000 people in Burlington or the 8,000 people in Montpelier, Vermont as opposed to the 5.3 million people in Metro Detroit or the 300,000 people in the UP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.