Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 07:29 PM

119 posts, read 122,453 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my family and I are interested in moving from the Tampa Bay area to the mountains. We are leaving our jobs so we are looking for somewhere very cheap with mountains with a mild climate (not too cold or in the desert) and good schools. We are a biracial family (white and Asian) and we are slightly concerned about running into problems in rural communities which is where I could really use city-data's help. It's easy to find cheap homes on Zillow, but I have no idea how tolerant some of these smaller communities are.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 07:47 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Which mountains? The Appalachians along the east, the Ozarks in the Midwest, Rockies in the interior West, or the mountain chain along the West Coast?

Old 11-09-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Which mountains? The Appalachians along the east, the Ozarks in the Midwest, Rockies in the interior West, or the mountain chain along the West Coast?
I'm open minded about any of them. The PNW would be ideal, but it's not cheap enough from what I've seen. Rockies are great, but I'm not familiar with the smaller communities in ID, WY, and MT. They're probably too cold. CO is too expensive, along with most of UT, and NM isn't what we're looking for. Black Hills could be nice, but I'm not very familiar with the cities there. Southern Appalachians are a good fit, but I'm not sure about the tolerance we'd see in some of the towns. Appalachians from VA-PA could be good, NY and north are probably too cold. I haven't considered the Ozarks, but they're kind of small for mountains. Most of AZ and SW TX are too arid/hot.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:12 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
What do you have against New Mexico? I think it would be the best option.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What do you have against New Mexico? I think it would be the best option.
It's a personal thing and nothing against NM itself. I won't rule NM out, are there any communities in particular there that come to mind?

Old 11-09-2020, 08:23 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
How small a place? Right beside mountains or is an hour away ok? How cheap is very cheap? How much snow would you take per year?

Would you consider Madras, Oregon? Clemson, SC (7% asian)?

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-09-2020 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-09-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gatsby View Post
It's a personal thing and nothing against NM itself. I won't rule NM out, are there any communities in particular there that come to mind?
Cloudcroft if you want to be in the mountains or Alamogordo if you're fine with being close but not directly in them. Cloudcroft is a small town 30 minutes from Alamogordo which is where you'd have to go for most things like grocery shopping and what not. It's a cheap and lovely area though. Most of the other mountains towns in New Mexico seem to be a bit more expensive, though still cheaper than Colorado. Ruidoso is nice but a bit more expensive and then Taos which is probably the most expensive. These are the only ones I have heard about from friends. I've been to Cloudcroft personally and loved it.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
How small a place? Right beside mountains or is an hour away ok? How cheap is very cheap? How much snow would you take per year?

Would you consider Madras, Oregon?
Right in the mountains. I'm open minded on size, but generally larger communities are more expensive which is why I was thinking smaller would be best. A 2/1 house for <$200k, preferably <$150k. (We're not broke, but I'm building a business while my wife is out of work to raise our son so cheap housing will go a long way to keep stress levels down.) I'd think >30'' is probably too much snow.

I'll check out Madras!

Old 11-09-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Cloudcroft if you want to be in the mountains or Alamogordo if you're fine with being close but not directly in them. Cloudcroft is a small town 30 minutes from Alamogordo which is where you'd have to go for most things like grocery shopping and what not. It's a cheap and lovely area though. Most of the other mountains towns in New Mexico seem to be a bit more expensive, though still cheaper than Colorado. Ruidoso is nice but a bit more expensive and then Taos which is probably the most expensive. These are the only ones I have heard about from friends. I've been to Cloudcroft personally and loved it.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out Cloudcroft.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gatsby View Post
Right in the mountains. I'm open minded on size, but generally larger communities are more expensive which is why I was thinking smaller would be best. A 2/1 house for <$200k, preferably <$150k. (We're not broke, but I'm building a business while my wife is out of work to raise our son so cheap housing will go a long way to keep stress levels down.) I'd think >30'' is probably too much snow.

I'll check out Madras!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...pid/?mmlb=g,12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.