Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 07:47 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yes, I do drive fast and mostly in the middle of the night because of my job. So my perception is probably skewed a bit compared to the normal driver under normal conditions.

I've made it to Fort Smith in under two hours several times from the east side of the city and to Little Rock in a little over 3.5 hours now that I think about it. It's been almost a year since I did the Little Rock run. I'm in Fort Smith almost every month.
The listed distance is 183 miles from OKC to Ft Smith. I assume that's from downtown to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 02:44 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The listed distance is 183 miles from OKC to Ft Smith. I assume that's from downtown to downtown.

That's probably right. I certainly did not mean that I arrived in the middle of the city in the time listed, just roundabout the outskirts.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:17 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Like where would you suggest,Count David?
Somewhere opposite from Midland or Texas

Maybe somewhere in the northern half of the country?

Old 04-10-2019, 07:18 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Somewhere opposite from Midland or Texas

Maybe somewhere in the northern half of the country?
well I am picking Oklahoma and/or Arkansas to possibly raise a family if Texas gets too crowded because they are somewhat like Texas.I wouldnt want to raise a family in a environment that is completely opposite from Texas.I am not interested in the North because the North is too cold for me.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
well I am picking Oklahoma and/or Arkansas to possibly raise a family if Texas gets too crowded because they are somewhat like Texas.I wouldnt want to raise a family in a environment that is completely opposite from Texas.I am not interested in the North because the North is too cold for me.
Texas will never be too crowded. Weren't you looking at Arizona and NM?

Old 04-11-2019, 08:44 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Overall, Oklahoma is an economically healthier state than Arkansas. Therefore, Oklahoma has a lower poverty rate than Arkansas. However, Arkansas is, in my opinion, much more beautiful and scenic than Oklahoma.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Texas has almost three times as many tornadoes as Oklahoma so you aren't moving to a state that has any more risk than Texas really. Arkansas has less than Oklahoma but the western part of Arkansas gets them at about an Oklahoma frequency.

You seem to be active in church of Christ things. Both Oklahoma and Texas are huge CofC states and both have CofC universities. The one in Oklahoma is in a really nice part of town in OKC/Edmond. The one in Arkansas is in a small but nice community (Searcy).

You're pretty young so I'd think NW Arkansas would suit you. And Tulsa is bigger and pretty nice. There are some really scenic places in Arkansas moreso than Oklahoma but Oklahoma is not devoid of scenery. Regardless both of them are prettier than the Permian basin where you've been.

If you want to stay in the oil business I'd think Oklahoma would be much better. About the only place I ever remember having a lot of oil activity in Arkansas was the El Dorado area in southern Arkansas.
Hi eddie,
Yes, I am very active in the church of Christ.I would think Oklahoma has more tornadoes per square mile and possible more intense one but I could be mistaken.A big part of the reason why I am considering Oklahoma and Arkansas is because they are big church of Christ states.I dont see any need to be close to a church of Christ-affiliated university if I do move there because it would be after I get married.I dont really need a place to have resource extraction activity for me to live there because my oil leases will be in Texas.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:06 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Arkansas is greener and looks more like East Texas. Oklahoma will be more like where you are now. Culturally they're all pretty similar, with subtle differences but no so much like if you moved to Oregon or Michigan.

If tornadoes don't scare you out of Texas, it isn't that much worse in Oklahoma.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Hi eddie,
Yes, I am very active in the church of Christ.I would think Oklahoma has more tornadoes per square mile and possible more intense one but I could be mistaken.A big part of the reason why I am considering Oklahoma and Arkansas is because they are big church of Christ states.I dont see any need to be close to a church of Christ-affiliated university if I do move there because it would be after I get married.I dont really need a place to have resource extraction activity for me to live there because my oil leases will be in Texas.
You are right - per square mile, OK has many more tornadoes than Texas. Not sure about the intensity.

And you're also right that in Texas you don't have to own the property that the oil leases are on - you only have to own the mineral rights.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Hi eddie,
The reason I suggested the college towns is that there tends to be more Church of Christ churches and more church of Christ people in towns where there are Church of Christ colleges.

And again on the tornado thing, others have weighed in on the tornado thing, yes Texas has fewer tornadoes per square mile than Oklahoma, but there are also large parts of Texas that aren't prone to tornadoes at all. In Oklahoma the whole state is tornado prone. But there isn't a dimes worth of difference between the tornado prone areas of the two states. And in Texas that's pretty much everywhere but the Big Bend and south Texas.

Bottom line, is if it's Texas or Oklahoma and tornadoes are the issue, you need to stay in Texas and move to El Paso or Marfa or the Valley to significantly lower your risk.

OTOH, Oklahoma doesn't get the brunt of Hurricanes and rarely see floods like SE and central Texas does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.