Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 09:32 PM

119 posts, read 139,405 times

Advertisements

I’m fairly new to Texas (Houston). I loved living in California for the most part (not so much San Diego, but I really loved L.A.), but Texas and I don’t seem to be clicking so far. Yet, so many Californians move here and seem to love it. I’m trying to learn some different perspectives; hence, my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 10:00 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
They both stink. Next question.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 PM

119 posts, read 139,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
They both stink. Next question.
Okay. Why?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:19 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
I was mostly being facetious though the traffic in both sucks my soul, and summer in Houston is less than ideal (and I say that as a Southerner who knows humidity). I know less about LA, more about Houston, though I’d say Dallas gets my vote between the 3. But as you haven’t really explained what you find discomforting about Houston in relation to LA, it’s hard to know where you’d like to start. Cost of living is usually the biggest factor that draws Californians to Texas.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:50 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
In Houston, at least, much of the built environment feels temporary, either because of decaying infrastructure due to soil/climate, prevalence of teardowns/new builds in the city, cheap construction, and even the common empty areas throughout the city interspersed with density that make the city feel incomplete. Nearly every year flooding affects some part of town, affecting hundreds or thousands. Freeways are constantly rebuilt, either expanded or modified. LA, at least compared to Houston, for me feels like a more complete city, with more of a sense of permanence. My first thought on return to Hobby Airport is how empty the neighborhood seems.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:59 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
I’m fairly new to Texas (Houston). I loved living in California for the most part (not so much San Diego, but I really loved L.A.), but Texas and I don’t seem to be clicking so far. Yet, so many Californians move here and seem to love it. I’m trying to learn some different perspectives; hence, my question.
how come you and the Lone Star State aint clicking?

Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Listen hunny, getting confirmation that your new place isn't like your old place isn't going to get you anywhere.
You already know that it's not like your old place.
Clicking with a new place is not always easy, especially if you are expecting old place from new place.
My advice is to clear your mind of old place and get to know new place from people who seen to enjoy it.

The first couple times I went to Phoenix was about 20 years ago and I could list you so many things that was just wrong about it.
Too hot, too dry, too clean, it's not home, bla bla bla.
I went with an associate once and the first evening we went out, he met some locals and asked them what was what and it really opened my mind about the place. I really enjoyed it.
I still don't like Phoenix, but I let myself enjoy it.

Asking people which they prefer is only going to get you boosting and flame throwing.
You already know which you prefer and do not need confirmation of that.
Most of the replies so far are negative for a reason.

Unless you just want to start a flame war, the better question to ask is "people who like New Place, what do you like about it?"

Asking people simply which they prefer is just begging for negativity like the first poster to respond

Old 04-13-2019, 09:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Well, maybe you shouldn’t have moved to Houston before researching just how different it is. I personally think Houston is awful and would never live there despite the $$$ to be made in my profession. Maybe if you chose Austin you wouldn’t be griping as much.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:25 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well, maybe you shouldn’t have moved to Houston before researching just how different it is. I personally think Houston is awful and would never live there despite the $$$ to be made in my profession. Maybe if you chose Austin you wouldn’t be griping as much.
Same here my profession pays very well in Houston the only reason why I'd move there. I'm starting to like Houston more and more though. It's one of the only large cities where the city pretty much dominates the entire metro. For some reason this sits better with me than a place like Dallas where the spotlight is shared with ft. Worth and it's own suburbs at least you know all 7 million revolve around the city. Winch makes it an actual 7 million pls city.

Although,I've never lived in Texas I've been many many times. California is where my heart is, but 28 million don't call Texas home because their isn't anything to do.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I love Texas and love living here, but I wouldn't want to live in Houston. That's not naysaying Houston - it is what it is and there are many things I like about it - but I wouldn't want to live in ANY huge city.

OP, I am not originally from Texas and the whole first year I lived here, I actively hated it. Then one day I realized I was sort of neutral about it, and then about two years into it, I realized with surprise that I was beginning to love this state and the people here. That was over 25 years ago and I still love Texas.

I've also lived in California. There are many beautiful areas of California but I dislike several things about it - for starters the cost of living and also I just feel that the west coast is too isolated from the rest of the country. I prefer the east coast over the west coast hands down. But that's just my personal opinion.

Actually my very favorite state is Virginia but Texas is a strong second!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.