Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state seems most ideal for us based on our descriptions?
Colorado 5 18.52%
Oregon 5 18.52%
Texas 2 7.41%
Washington 10 37.04%
None of Above 6 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 02:41 PM

264 posts, read 249,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Thank you for detailed information and suggestions. It is still a hard decision. We are leaning more and more towards Washington State.

I see that Vancouver is more affordable than Seattle and it's just across the river from Portland. What are your thoughts on Vancouver?

It does sound nice being able to enjoy no income tax if living and working in Washington and no sale taxes from shopping in Oregon.
I'd say Vancouver, WA is a fine choice. I'd imagine it's definitely a LGBT friendly community due to its proximity to Portland. Scenery is amazing and the city itself is actually quite large for a suburb. Therefore, you can imagine it offers your typical suburban amenities and then some due to its size. You would also not have to travel far for natural recreational areas so it would probably exceed your expectations there. Portland is right there which can offer any urban amenities you could think of. It's just the traffic in Portland north through Vancouver on I-5 is awful. It's not the most ethnically diverse city but it isn't overwhelmingly white if that's what your thinking of. However, I would imagine Portland having one of the best food scenes in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 12:38 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
I also thought of Burlington vt immediately.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:41 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Burlington, VT would fit only if winter is not a deterrent. Burlington gets as much snow as Duluth (snowiest city in MN) and MN is apparent out of play at this point.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Thank you for detailed information and suggestions. It is still a hard decision. We are leaning more and more towards Washington State.

I see that Vancouver is more affordable than Seattle and it's just across the river from Portland. What are your thoughts on Vancouver?

It does sound nice being able to enjoy no income tax if living and working in Washington and no sale taxes from shopping in Oregon.

Check your total tax load in both places. While income and sales taxes may be reduced in either, property, auto, and gas taxes could quickly erode those savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.