Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times

Advertisements

DFW has some of the highest lane miles per capita for a top 15 metro, and is permitting more housing units than Atlanta, Houston, or any other metro for that matter. That said, over 40% of new permits last year were in mutli-family developments (apts and condos), compared to just 20% in the mid-2000s. Moreover, outer suburban Collin County is growing at its slowest rate since the 60s, while closer-in Dallas County is growing faster than it did last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 12:02 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
DFW has some of the highest lane miles per capita for a top 15 metro, and is permitting more housing units than Atlanta, Houston, or any other metro for that matter. That said, over 40% of new permits last year were in mutli-family developments (apts and condos), compared to just 20% in the mid-2000s. Moreover, outer suburban Collin County is growing at its slowest rate since the 60s, while closer-in Dallas County is growing faster than it did last decade.
2000 was an abysmal year for Dallas County and, iirc, population figires for the city of Dallas in 2010 was notably lower than estimates while the metro overall was above. If Dallas County continues to grow as it has during the last seven years, the 2010s will still end up being the county's second slowest since Texas first joined the USA for population growth, only behind the last decade.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
Atl should focus on widening surface roads and build some additional alternative routes. DFW has done a great job with this. Plenty of choices and lots of 4 and 6 lane roads. One can get around Dallas much easier without getting on a freeway.
It's probably too late for this unless they show an ambition level of improving that they haven't shown at any time for the last 25 years. It's also going to be a lot more costly to make these improvements now.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:24 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
So would you say a lot of these multi family units are in urban Dallas? Where people can use public transit and walk?

Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
So would you say a lot of these multi family units are in urban Dallas? Where people can use public transit and walk?
Houston has been on a 2 decade residential building boom along such corridors.
Downtown south to Midtown to Montrose to the Museum District and Medical center along the Rail Line
Then Downtown to the East Side and then to University of Houston on another Rail Line
Then Downtown going North along the Rail line to Hardy Yards
Then Downtown going west through River Oaks, Kirby, River Oaks District out to Uptown.

I know Uptown Dallas has become an amazing high density residential area in the last few decades but as to what you are asking I don't think Dallas has matched Houston in terms of 6 to 40 storey residential buildings along busy rail or bus corridors. Houston Red Line Corridor is developing into a beast that I don't think Dallas has an answer to.

Dallas has awesome connectivity amongst the near Downtown neighborhoods, but I think what you are asking is how many of the NEW developments are transit oriented developments. As b far as I have seen the answer is that there are quite a few but the majority are spread around the metro. This is where I think Houston has the edge over Dallas.

To me uptown Dallas is currently more walkable than Midtown Houston, but Midtown Houston is catching up and the transit corridor that Midtown Houston is on (Downtown to the Medical Center) to me far outpaces Uptown Dallas corridor.

The Caydon Projects under construction, for example, are 5 residential towers centered around narrow pedestrian alleys lined with restaurants and cafes directly on a rail stop and across the street from a park and other multi family residential buildings. A few blocks down and still on the rail line more residential towers are being built. At the next Rail Station down there is more recently completed residential towers lined with restaurants/ ground floor retail, the next stop after that a 14 acre tech district is currently being built that will surely ignite more high density residential in the area.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:42 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I see a lot of comments on the internet from residents of cities such as these telling people not to move there because "we full?" But these cities are significantly less densely populated than the most iconic American city for depopulation, abandonment, and blight.

Are these cities really "full" and if so, what's causing it? Is it the poor, auto-centric design that's the main factor or is it something else?
It's because these cities grew so fast and it's causing taxes and the infrastructure to suffer. It's like sitting in the pot and the water keeps heating up way to quick and the whole while cooking you. New comers were already in hot water so it's great for them lol. The worst offender is Austin as it truly had the least efficient infrastructure. Dallas infrastructure is superb as is Houston's but Houston failed on the mass transit side. Atlanta has okay infrastructure but succeeded with MARTA mass transit with the caveat that it doesn't include several major suburbs.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:34 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
It's because these cities grew so fast and it's causing taxes and the infrastructure to suffer. It's like sitting in the pot and the water keeps heating up way to quick and the whole while cooking you. New comers were already in hot water so it's great for them lol. The worst offender is Austin as it truly had the least efficient infrastructure. Dallas infrastructure is superb as is Houston's but Houston failed on the mass transit side. Atlanta has okay infrastructure but succeeded with MARTA mass transit with the caveat that it doesn't include several major suburbs.
Perhaps Houston has failed on the rail transit side but for the entirety of its mass transit, Houston is actually not that bad relative to other sunbelt cities. When you add in the bus, Houston catches up to Dallas. In fact, in the last APTA stats, Houston has a bus ridership of over 219k which is the highest in the South compared to Dallas which has 99k (that's shockingly bad). It will be extremely hard for either Texas city to match Atlanta's MARTA.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Perhaps Houston has failed on the rail transit side but for the entirety of its mass transit, Houston is actually not that bad relative to other sunbelt cities. When you add in the bus, Houston catches up to Dallas. In fact, in the last APTA stats, Houston has a bus ridership of over 219k which is the highest in the South compared to Dallas which has 99k (that's shockingly bad). It will be extremely hard for either Texas city to match Atlanta's MARTA.
That's why I keep asking why Dallas keeps being listed as tops for transit.
When you look at it as a whole Dallas PT functionally isn't that better than Houston and the road network isn't either. I think it's a wash.

Dallas POTENTIALLY has the better system once the TOD increases and helps ridership.
But to me a good transit system must have riders and must take those riders places. Dallas has the miles but fails in Ridership. Houston's bus system feeds the rail system but let's be honest here, although a lot better than Dallas, the numbers are still paltry.

Also, the hub and spoke system in Houston is no worse than Dallas. However, as both gets more and more people improving mass transit is a dire need. My Question to you is if DART is so great, why is Ridership so low? There is no doubt that building a University to Uptown line in Houston would definitely have Ridership and improve connectivity to existing lines, but with all the Miles of DART, why the low ridership? The is talk of extending the purple line to Hobby, which I don't think will do much for ridership, but I was thinking that a DFW line would have been a super boost to the system

Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That's why I keep asking why Dallas keeps being listed as tops for transit.
When you look at it as a whole Dallas PT functionally isn't that better than Houston and the road network isn't either. I think it's a wash.

Dallas POTENTIALLY has the better system once the TOD increases and helps ridership.
But to me a good transit system must have riders and must take those riders places. Dallas has the miles but fails in Ridership. Houston's bus system feeds the rail system but let's be honest here, although a lot better than Dallas, the numbers are still paltry.

Also, the hub and spoke system in Houston is no worse than Dallas. However, as both gets more and more people improving mass transit is a dire need. My Question to you is if DART is so great, why is Ridership so low? There is no doubt that building a University to Uptown line in Houston would definitely have Ridership and improve connectivity to existing lines, but with all the Miles of DART, why the low ridership? The is talk of extending the purple line to Hobby, which I don't think will do much for ridership, but I was thinking that a DFW line would have been a super boost to the system
I'm not an expert, but isn't it because DART built track mileage, but not in the right places? By looking at a map, it seems they took the cheap way and skirted alongside the population centers. Bad move. Instead of going through Uptown, it makes a V shape around both sides of. Oak Lawn is the gayborhood, right? Missed opportunity there since the LGBT population generally seems to prefer public transit. The station closest to SMU is across a freeway, so another massively missed opportunity to a high concentration of people who would use public transit. Idk all neighborhood names, but Bishop Arts District? Looks pretty dense with some good retail. DART goes down and around it, rather than through it. DART goes alongside Love Field Airport, but doesn't connect directly to it via rail. The area by Galleria Dallas and Addison Airport looks to have a lot going on, but DART instead goes through a long stretch of warehouses well to the west of this location. It misses UT Dallas entirely, instead going the cheap way alongside a freeway to the east. The line to Denton stops downtown, which is good, but never hits the university there. There is no rail connection to the sporting complex areas in Arlington.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
There is no rail connection to the sporting complex areas in Arlington.
Arlington is a gigantic transit desert. 400,000 people and no public transportation whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.