Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:42 AM

8 posts, read 7,542 times

Advertisements

With the Gold Line (light rail) extension being complete from Downtown LA to Montclair, California, the two separate MSA’s will be merged once again for the first time since the 1940s.

The census will officially recognize San Bernardino and Riverside counties as commuter suburbs of LA therefore being included to the new LA MSA count. That’s nearly twice the size of Chicagoland. Watch out North America, LA is coming to dethrone Mexico City and New York City for the largest mega city of the continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:45 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybuilder96 View Post
With the Gold Line (light rail) extension being complete from Downtown LA to Montclair, California, the two separate MSA’s will be merged once again for the first time since the 1940s.

The census will officially recognize San Bernardino and Riverside counties as commuter suburbs of LA therefore being included to the new LA MSA count. That’s nearly twice the size of Chicagoland. Watch out North America, LA is coming to dethrone Mexico City and New York City for the largest mega city of the continent.
Please provide a link to your reference that the MSAs will be combined.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:48 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
I never thought of the IE as a stand alone metro anyway. I don't see it as anything but a spillover of LA.

I would go as far as saying I see it more as one metro than DFW. Although DFW is more unified, both Dallas and FW are stand alone cities while the IE is LA burbs

Old 04-12-2019, 09:50 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I never thought of the IE as a stand alone metro anyway. I don't see it as anything but a spillover of LA.
Agreed. The IE is a fraud as a standalone metro.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:52 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
What is the 'Global Census'? And why is it looking at San Bernardino?

Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM

8 posts, read 7,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
What is the 'Global Census'? And why is it looking at San Bernardino?
The same organization that ranks “Alpha cities” and “Gamma Cities” and ohh! Can’t forget about “Alpha ++” because it makes a difference

Sarcasm for poking fun at who cares what some unknown organization has to say about their unwanted opinions.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Not saying they should have ever been split - but what does a light rail line have to do with any of this and what is a "global census"??

Light rail has nothing at all to do with census designation of metro areas.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:47 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
If you look at the MSA of New York City then the Inland Empire should be part of Los Angeles’s. There’s countless cities/towns within Metro NYC that are much further out than San Bernardino, and unlike LA to San Bernardino, they’re separated by huge swaths of rural land. Maybe the IE is it’s own MSA because it can standalone greater than the exurbs of NYC can?

I was floored when I was visiting various members of my wife’s family that were all within the MSA of NYC, even though we drove through miles of nothing and are 2 hours from the city. If Poughkeepsie is part of NYC’s MSA, then Riverside should easily be part of LA’s, but I don’t think either should be, just my opinion.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I was floored when I was visiting various members of my wife’s family that were all within the MSA of NYC, even though we drove through miles of nothing and are 2 hours from the city. If Poughkeepsie is part of NYC’s MSA, then Riverside should easily be part of LA’s, but I don’t think either should be, just my opinion.
I think the difference there is that there is physical suburban and rural separation between Poughkeepsie and NYC. Not only is there no suburban separation between Riverside and LA, the current built environment and population of the IE is directly because of LA. Riverside is almost 30 miles closer to LA than Poughkeepsie is to New York.

Riverside and San Bernadino are barely even satellites of LA. They developed in their current forms as suburbs. They only became statistically separate after the IE became cheaper to build offices/warehouses ect. and developed enough of it's own commuter base to dilute greater commuting statistics. This again is overflow.

Riverside is an MSA on paper due to loopholes in how statistics are interpreted. It possesses no other qualities of a 4 million person metro. Any amenities it has therein are attributed directly to it's being a part of a greater 20 million person region.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:12 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Boundary changes, don't change real numbers. LA will only grow on paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.