Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:10 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I have too met many transplants there (usually from small towns), yet their ego blew up once they moved to DC.

I once had someone turn their nose to the fact that I lived in Philadelphia.

I asked where they grew up, they said Little Rock, Arkansas........... Not even worth a reply.

Of course I know nice normal people in DC, but I yet to encounter that scale of uncalled for ridiculous snobbery anywhere else.
I totally agree cpomp they won’t let me rep you right now. DC is a power town it turns you into an alter ego quickly. Not everyone just some. I know a person from Missouri or someplace that moved to DC that heads a non profit you would think she’s King Farouk the way she talks. When they shut it down it’s back to the Ozarks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 06:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I totally agree cpomp they won’t let me rep you right now. DC is a power town it turns you into an alter ego quickly. Not everyone just some. I know a person from Missouri or someplace that moved to DC that heads a non profit you would think she’s King Farouk the way she talks. When they shut it down it’s back to the Ozarks!
Oh my gosh, I know someone like that from East Texas who moved to DC to work with a non profit - maybe we know the same person.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
Kathryn, maybe we do know the same people you never know! Many come to DC to work for non profits barely making ends meet then they leave. Its a tough town and taught many to never brag!

Old 04-24-2019, 10:46 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Kathryn, maybe we do know the same people you never know! Many come to DC to work for non profits barely making ends meet then they leave. Its a tough town and taught many to never brag!
I guess we all know different people. I know many who work for non-profits or on the hill (they don't make much money), but my friend used that term "30k a year millionaire" and it holds very true in DC.

Of course not everyone there acts holier than though, but the percentage of people I have encountered in that city who have a chip is far more than anywhere I have ever been (including New York, London, Milan, Zurich, Geneva, and many more).... like its DC, not the land of Oz.

And whats more ironic is the worst attitude I have encountered are from people who moved from small-town America, its like DC is their first "bit city" and now they are better than everyone.

Last edited by cpomp; 04-24-2019 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: added thoughts

Old 04-24-2019, 12:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
LOL well this woman JUST left DC. She moved there about ten years ago heading a non profit. Totally weird situation.

It's a small world - we just might know some of the same folks!

Old 04-24-2019, 07:12 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
DC and NYC may have the highest percentages of insufferable people from my experiences.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:05 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Default What Advice Would You Give Someone Who Has a Superiority Complex About Their City?

Quote:
What Advice Would You Give Someone Who Has a Superiority Complex About Their City?
Get out of the house more and get a life.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:36 PM

83 posts, read 71,176 times
I've only met people with superiority complex about their city in the US in NYC (Manhattan). When I moved from Brooklyn to Manhattan, I was asked a bunch of times: "So you decided to move to the City " Apparently, for them Brooklyn is a suburb of New York. Non-New Yorkers who move there seem to get this superiority complex within days of moving in. New Yorkers also don't travel around the US. They cross the bridge/tunnel into NJ and think to themselves: "So this is what the rest of the county looks like? Might as well go back to New Yawk." But this kind of behavior exists in other metropolises around the world. People from the capital/or largest city generally feel the same towards the rest of their country as New Yorkers do about the rest of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.