Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It has decent schools for a big city they’re still Pretty bad compared to a normal public school as evidence by college attendance and college graduation seeing as only 1in 7 BPS. Graduate lates graduates college in 6 years. HS graduation only cracked 70% two years ago, 10 yers ago it was about 60% graduation rate. SAT scores also are well below average.

Is they were decent the schools wouldn’t be 75% low income and 87% minority. They would be more reflective of the general demographic. Subtract the exam schools and it’s pretty terrible. Still aeveral schools where the water is unsafe to drink and yet more schools that have been fully or partially condemned in the past 5 years. Also school cleanups of hypodermic needles...schools with suspension rates of 20%+.

My cohorts graduation rate was 64%. When I entered Hs in 2008 the graduation rate was 59.9%. These are the people that make up the bulk of native Boston work force. The graduate rate is still about 15%.

Source: https://www.bostonpublicschools.org/...ate_report.pdf

It’s pretty trash.
That’s because SATs and MCAS are obviously bias against ESL students (which City schools have a disproportionate amount of) 70% graduation rates isn’t that bad considering the state average is in the 80s.

You obviously can’t compare Boston to Weston but compared to its peers it outperforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That’s because SATs and MCAS are obviously bias against ESL students (which City schools have a disproportionate amount of) 70% graduation rates isn’t that bad considering the state average is in the 80s.

You obviously can’t compare Boston to Weston but compared to its peers it outperforms.
There amus a huge host of other things you bypassed. Also there are other majorbdistrict with comparable or higher graduation rate (LA Has a higher grad rate)and the state average graduation rate is like 87/88%.

Oakland graduates 70%, Baltimore graduates 71 percent, in line with Boston’s 72 in 2017. 4 years ago Oakland was ahead of Boston.

La and NYC gradyate 77%

San Francisco graduates 85%.

Careful, Your Boston hubris is showings

Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There amus a huge host of other things you bypassed. Also there are other majorbdistrict with comparable or higher graduation rate (LA Has a higher grad rate)and the state average graduation rate is like 87/88%.

Oakland graduates 70%, Baltimore graduates 71 percent, in line with Boston’s 72 in 2017. 4 years ago Oakland was ahead of Boston.

La and NYC gradyate 77%

San Francisco graduates 85%.

Careful, Your Boston hubris is showings
Baltimore may “Graduate” students but they are a dumpster fire

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/baltimor...ic-schools-md/

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/boston-public-schools-ma/

Basically that just proves MA has more strict graduation requirements.

Boston’s test scores are pretty much in line with San Francisco
https://www.niche.com/k12/d/san-fran...l-district-ca/

Are they great? No. Do even diverse suburbs like Everett outperform Boston? Yes. Is there room for imorivement? Yes

Are they an embarrassment like a lot of cities? No.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Baltimore may “Graduate” students but they are a dumpster fire

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/baltimor...ic-schools-md/

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/boston-public-schools-ma/

Basically that just proves MA has more strict graduation requirements.

Boston’s test scores are pretty much in line with San Francisco
https://www.niche.com/k12/d/san-fran...l-district-ca/

Are they great? No. Do even diverse suburbs like Everett outperform Boston? Yes. Is there room for imorivement? Yes

Are they an embarrassment like a lot of cities? No.
For one all these numbers-in every single district-are RIGGED.

In my initial post i cited a lot other than just graduation rates, because that not a wole. Those were ignored. I merely said they are a disappointment to man if not most transplants. Which they absolutely are.

For the Athens of America it is an embarrassment. At the very least a disappointment. It certainly not as good as a regular suburban school disrtcit

Histocally, and on the whole BPS as an entity has been horrible. From the Burke having 0% of its students pass the Math and science mcas in 1998 and 1% pass English. TO the shooting of an English high school student in the head by a tecaher in 2015, to Bostonleading the naiton in absenteeism/truancy throughout most of the 1970s and 1980s...

Lest we forget a student literally MURDERING another student in broad day INSIDE BPS headquarters after meeting with BPS Staff 2/3 years ago.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 04-22-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipwreckSiren View Post
I read an old post recently that talked about how people coming to Denver CO imagine they will be swinging around with arms outstretched Sound of Music style with Swiss Apps style mountains and a burbling brook. In reality, people move here and find that Denver is an irrigated desert on the plains that is dusty and windy with a lot of traffic. People rarely get into the mountains especially with families, and the mountains they do get in aren't the mountains they envisioned. Essentially, the life you picture yourself having in CO is very unlikely unless you can work from home or are wealthy enough to live in the mountains. Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck along the front range on the plains where jobs are. I was personally surprised by Denver and Colorado before moving here as well. For whatever reason I thought that Denver proper was buried in the Rocky Mountains.

What are some stereotypes or images of cities or states that either you or transplants have held and then been disappointed to find out aren't true upon visiting or moving?
This is the typical result for many transplants who's research of CO was limited of watching Monday Night Football, X Games, or Hollywood ski movies.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Miami. Most tourists are steered to 'boutique' communities like Miami Beach, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove, never realizing that a large portion of the metro is drab, dingy and dated.
Same for LA. People think they'll live in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills. Reality is they probably won't afford it. And they also think they'll be at the beach every weekend, unless they're hiking every weekend, without realizing that unless you live within walking/biking distance of the beach, you're rarely going because of traffic and parking costs. And the temperatures at the beach are rarely warm enough for swimming because 75 or below is still not great summer beach weather IMO and then the water temperature is freezing and rarely over 68. Then in winter, there are warnings to not swim during storms because fecal matter gets in the current and you can get Hepatitis. And hiking isn't so easy either when you consider the traffic to the hiking parking lots and that hike is going to be full of other people so it's barely an escape into nature like people think it will be. Then you think you'll party like a rockstar all over town till you realize everything takes an hour to get to and unless you come from a small town with lackluster nightlife, LA's 2am last call really isn't so cool. And your apartment is going to be a dump from the 1970s with no A/C.

At least when people move to NYC they know the streets smell in summer, rats are to be found, subways are delayed, stations are hot and sweaty, slush puddles will ruin your favorite boots in winter, etc. People tend to know all the bad about NYC and seem more prepared for it, whereas LA conjures images of an actual paradise on earth where everyone lives in Spanish style homes with manicured lawns and tans at the beach every weekend while dining on vegan salads next to celebrities at The Ivy.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:53 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Same for LA. People think they'll live in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills. Reality is they probably won't afford it. And they also think they'll be at the beach every weekend, unless they're hiking every weekend, without realizing that unless you live within walking/biking distance of the beach, you're rarely going because of traffic and parking costs. And the temperatures at the beach are rarely warm enough for swimming because 75 or below is still not great summer beach weather IMO and then the water temperature is freezing and rarely over 68. Then in winter, there are warnings to not swim during storms because fecal matter gets in the current and you can get Hepatitis. And hiking isn't so easy either when you consider the traffic to the hiking parking lots and that hike is going to be full of other people so it's barely an escape into nature like people think it will be. Then you think you'll party like a rockstar all over town till you realize everything takes an hour to get to and unless you come from a small town with lackluster nightlife, LA's 2am last call really isn't so cool. And your apartment is going to be a dump from the 1970s with no A/C.

At least when people move to NYC they know the streets smell in summer, rats are to be found, subways are delayed, stations are hot and sweaty, slush puddles will ruin your favorite boots in winter, etc. People tend to know all the bad about NYC and seem more prepared for it, whereas LA conjures images of an actual paradise on earth where everyone lives in Spanish style homes with manicured lawns and tans at the beach every weekend while dining on vegan salads next to celebrities at The Ivy.
Funny because when I moved to LA I moved to Santa Monica, and spend almost everyday at the beach. I had no interest in hiking until I realized there was an entire mountain range right down the road in Malibu so ever since I've been hiking every weekend. Lol it's funny because I didn't expect much when I moved here I had zero of those expectations. Almost moved to Glendale didn't know they were in the valley so extreme summer weather. But it ended up being a fantastic place to live with unlimited amenities. I guess I was pretty much the opposite of what your post alluded to. Greater LA has almost 19 million people I'm not sure, but common sense would tell you that it has I don't know ALOT of people.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:10 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Funny because when I moved to LA I moved to Santa Monica, and spend almost everyday at the beach. I had no interest in hiking until I realized there was an entire mountain range right down the road in Malibu so ever since I've been hiking every weekend. Lol it's funny because I didn't expect much when I moved here I had zero of those expectations. Almost moved to Glendale didn't know they were in the valley so extreme summer weather. But it ended up being a fantastic place to live with unlimited amenities. I guess I was pretty much the opposite of what your post alluded to. Greater LA has almost 19 million people I'm not sure, but common sense would tell you that it has I don't know ALOT of people.
You're definitely an anomaly in the best way then! I can't tell you how many people in NYC, NJ, Philly, and Kentucky (where I live/lived) think that living in LA is just one giant fancy luxury party and where if you move there your life instantly becomes magical. They actually think the water is warm year-round for swimming like Miami. They don't believe the traffic is really that bad. They don't realize how poor LA actually is when you leave the nice areas. They think their going out nights will be some rooftop pool ragers at Chateua Marmont with celebrities.

LA can be a great place, but my god the stereotypes I've heard of living there are just insane. I was born and raised there and it's not my cup of tea, but I can see what people would enjoy about it. But the stereotypes that I hear from people thinking the streets are paved in gold and it's a magical place where all dreams come true is laughable and sad at the same time.

I don't mean it sarcastically at all, I'm glad you found the life you want there away from the stereotypes. It's people like you that manage to love it all and discover something new every day. The ones who think it's all celebrities and high style are going to be in for rude awakenings. But for someone like you living in SaMo the beach is super convenient. I grew up near the beach just a bit south in MdR and I regularly hung out on the beach and rode my bike up to Malibu and back on weekends with nothing to do. But so many others think they'll move to like Pasadena or Glendale and spend every waking moment watching sunsets on the beach in Santa Monica and all their summer weekends will be spent sunbathing there without realizing how inconvenient it is. This isn't just speculation, this is all stuff I've heard or read between the lines of.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Wow I didn't know that about LA. I did know about Denver. The eastern part of Colorado was probably the most depressing drive I've had in my life.

This isn't really about a stereotype but there seem to be a good number of transplants who move to Greenville SC because they think it is some kind of utopia because they like its downtown area.

They'll complain after moving to Greenville about areas with poverty and rundown areas and traffic as though those things don't exist in every metro.
I agree regarding Greenville. The downtown area and core are great. However, not even a 10 minute drive away you feel like you're in a different area, one that is rundown and could be described as backwater and trashy.

I'd have to rank Kansas near the top for depressing drives, if we're talking about just scenery.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:40 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
When I first moved out to CA, I lived in the SF Bay Area. I was told as a single straight guy in great shape with a good job I would clean up with the ladies given the huge gay population there. I would end up going weeks, sometimes longer, without seeing what I considered an attractive woman, let alone a very attractive one, resulting in the biggest disappointment in an area I otherwise enjoyed living in.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-22-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.