Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,829,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Have heard this one everywhere I've lived.
Yep that one and "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 01:31 PM

14,298 posts, read 11,668,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep that one and "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change."
I do occasionally hear this quote in SoCal (where it is patently not true!), but haven't heard the one about the four seasons in a day. I guess no one thinks they could get away with that platitude in a place where we barely have four seasons in a year.

People really don't complain about rain here, as a previous poster insinuated. We LOVE when it rains and babble about how much we needed it. Most of the time, there is nothing interesting to say about the weather and we don't go around congratulating each other because it's 72 again, we just ignore the topic and go on with our lives.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,829,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I do occasionally hear this quote in SoCal (where it is patently not true!), but haven't heard the one about the four seasons in a day. I guess no one thinks they could get away with that platitude in a place where we barely have four seasons in a year.

People really don't complain about rain here, as a previous poster insinuated. We LOVE when it rains and babble about how much we needed it. Most of the time, there is nothing interesting to say about the weather and we don't go around congratulating each other because it's 72 again, we just ignore the topic and go on with our lives.
Haha!

Here in NE Texas we do talk a lot about the weather but we have a good excuse since we live in Tornado Alley. And hey, it could happen, any time really but especially this time of year. We also tend to get pretty spectacular storms in general - high winds, hail, lots of thunder and lightning, straight line winds, etc. Summers can be extremely hot and winters can be icy. And Halloween and Easter are always unpredictable (except that they are unpredictable - LOL). So yeah, there's always something to talk about and we do plenty of it.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

People might not complain about it, but everyone cancels plans and posts on social media about having their rainy night indoors and they take videos of the rain and boomerangs of their windshield wipers and just in general post anything about precipitation on social media. I do also regularly see the posts of when the weather is 72 and sunny again, and everyone posting "another perfect day" or "best weather" or "I love it here" with the temperature posted on their story. Like there really isn't anything to say about it being 72 and sunny again. Nothing earth shattering. Not something social media worthy. At least in the rest of the country that first warm day is something interesting in Spring, you can post about the heatwave (which is fine in LA also as long it's like 95 and not 85), you can post about the first cold day of winter and the fold deep freeze (when LA dips into the 30s go for it, but when it was 47 this past winter for a night or two it was literally plastered all over my social media of how cold everyone was...at 47).

The weather is generally a constant. It doesn't change. It's not social media worthy. But yet I see posts about LA weather constantly. SD too. At least in SF, the weather posts are often about it being sunny for once rather than fog lol

Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,025,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
Oh ok that makes more sense It's just I've heard various Americans in the UK be perplexed that the weather is brought up so much. Maybe they're just from less continental regions.

If you live in tornado, hurricane, blizzard, or drought-prone areas, it's a frequent topic. I live in the South and television meteorologists are minor celebrities here.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:40 PM

1,156 posts, read 939,713 times
Not much to talk about, it's usually nice.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:49 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,188,732 times
I’ve lived in Texas, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland And now Arizona, nobody talks about the weather like the brits do, at least not from my experience. Of course when a dust storm is heading our way sure, but when it’s hot everyday for months with nary a cloud to be seen, not much to say except it’s bloody hot.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:30 PM

14,298 posts, read 11,668,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
People might not complain about it, but everyone cancels plans and posts on social media about having their rainy night indoors and they take videos of the rain and boomerangs of their windshield wipers and just in general post anything about precipitation on social media. I do also regularly see the posts of when the weather is 72 and sunny again, and everyone posting "another perfect day" or "best weather" or "I love it here" with the temperature posted on their story. Like there really isn't anything to say about it being 72 and sunny again. Nothing earth shattering. Not something social media worthy. At least in the rest of the country that first warm day is something interesting in Spring, you can post about the heatwave (which is fine in LA also as long it's like 95 and not 85), you can post about the first cold day of winter and the fold deep freeze (when LA dips into the 30s go for it, but when it was 47 this past winter for a night or two it was literally plastered all over my social media of how cold everyone was...at 47).

The weather is generally a constant. It doesn't change. It's not social media worthy. But yet I see posts about LA weather constantly. SD too. At least in SF, the weather posts are often about it being sunny for once rather than fog lol
I think you need new friends on social media.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:35 PM

102,179 posts, read 107,754,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
I don't know if this has been talked about already on here but in the UK, the weather is normally a good starter for small talk. However, I've heard that (not too generalise too much) the weather isn't really talked about too much in the US as much as in the UK. If this is the case I find it quite odd because the climate in the UK is quite mild compared to the US. Also, a lot of the US sees much more extremes in temperature and weather compared to Britain.
Well, for one thing, the UK has lousy weather, lol. The Pacific NW, which also is considered to have lousy weather, somewhat similar to the UK, but not quite that bad, also has the topic of weather coming up frequently.

But people everywhere in the US use the weather as a base for small talk, IME. "Don't you just love these spring days?" or "The air is always so fresh after a rain!" They may not actually discuss the weather, but they remark on it, to break the ice, and get a conversation going.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:39 PM

102,179 posts, read 107,754,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If you live in tornado, hurricane, blizzard, or drought-prone areas, it's a frequent topic. I live in the South and television meteorologists are minor celebrities here.
Yes. In CA and the southwest, where it's the same old, same old sunshine pretty much every day, there's not much to discuss. When it rains, that tends to be a topic. Fall colors are a topic. Weeks and months of sunshine tend to go without comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.