Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 02:33 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Disagree about Texas. Well I should say the majority of Texas have four seasons.
Texas doesn't have four well defined seasons at all in my book, just extreme weather changes. The low latitude and lack of significant change in daylight between summer and winter means less seasonal changes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 04:00 PM

860 posts, read 698,573 times
There are also plenty of places in high altitude subalpine/alpine mountains that can freeze any time of the year and don't have four seasons either.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:22 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Texas doesn't have four well defined seasons at all in my book, just extreme weather changes. The low latitude and lack of significant change in daylight between summer and winter means less seasonal changes as well.
That’s why I said majority. If you said Houston and Southeast Texas, South Texas, and West Texas, sure. But Northeast Texas, DFW and North Texas, and especially the panhandle with an honorable mention to central Texas does indeed experience four seasons at least to me. Now some seasons may be shorter but they do happen.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That’s why I said majority. If you said Houston and Southeast Texas, South Texas, and West Texas, sure. But Northeast Texas, DFW and North Texas, and especially the panhandle with an honorable mention to central Texas does indeed experience four seasons at least to me. Now some seasons may be shorter but they do happen.
If the winter season is defined as commonly having high temperatures in the 50's and 60's it doesn't really count as four seasons. It can get colder than that there in the winter, but not consistently at all.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:07 PM

This one is very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Ma6l0K7mI

Old 09-24-2020, 08:19 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The low latitude and lack of significant change in daylight between summer and winter means less seasonal changes as well.
The Texas Triangle is in the center of the Central Time Zone, so sunrises and sunsets don't come earlier or later than places near the time zone boundaries.

There still is a significant change in daylight between summer and winter--here in Houston, the sun will set 8:30 pm DST (7:30 ST) in mid-Summer and at 5:30 pm ST (6:30 DST) in mid-Winter. This is a two hour time difference! It doesn't take into account the dusk mid-winter gloom that sets in at 3:00 pm as it gets closer to sunset.

The reverse is true at sunrise. Mid-Winter sunrise is at 7:30 am and the gloom ends when the midday light starts at 10:00 am. The midday light is only about 4-5 hours.

In Chicago, the day length is somewhat skewed being on the eastern edge of the Central Time Zone. This time shifts the day to start and end earlier. The high latitude already gives it a disadvantage of extra-shorter days and longer nights.

The only advantage with the low latitude is that the sunshine still gives Vitamin D during winter, instead of light being reflected by the curvature of the Earth. The happiest time in Houston is usually on a cool (or cold 40s-50s by Houston standards), cloudless sunny winter day.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The Texas Triangle is in the center of the Central Time Zone, so sunrises and sunsets don't come earlier or later than places near the time zone boundaries.

There still is a significant change in daylight between summer and winter--here in Houston, the sun will set 8:30 pm DST (7:30 ST) in mid-Summer and at 5:30 pm ST (6:30 DST) in mid-Winter. This is a two hour time difference! It doesn't take into account the dusk mid-winter gloom that sets in at 3:00 pm as it gets closer to sunset.

The reverse is true at sunrise. Mid-Winter sunrise is at 7:30 am and the gloom ends when the midday light starts at 10:00 am. The midday light is only about 4-5 hours.

In Chicago, the day length is somewhat skewed being on the eastern edge of the Central Time Zone. This time shifts the day to start and end earlier. The high latitude already gives it a disadvantage of extra-shorter days and longer nights.

The only advantage with the low latitude is that the sunshine still gives Vitamin D during winter, instead of light being reflected by the curvature of the Earth. The happiest time in Houston is usually on a cool (or cold 40s-50s by Houston standards), cloudless sunny winter day.
A two hour differential between summer and winter is next to nothing, it must be very normal if you have only lived in low latitude locations. And no, I don't consider Chicago to be remotely higher latitude at all, not compared to most of Europe or Canada. Vitamin D makes no difference to me as I take supplements most of the year as I'm inside working in an office. Low sun angle light is what I definitely prefer, but I like actual winter weather unlike most Americans.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:43 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
Besides the south, what are the states that don't have four distinct seasons?
Hawaii, and that's it. Maybe Oklahoma, but even Oklahoma has the panhandle, which actually gets quite a bit of snow.

Every other state is either far North enough or has high elevation areas with lots of snow.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, pretty much above Macon. Of course, it's not a hard line. Freak events can and do occur down into North Florida, but it's rare.
According to Wikipedia, locations in the panhandle may receive snow every 3 years.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:54 PM

Also according to wikipedia, Columbus GA repsesents the Winter Snow Line in the south. It is also pretty much on the fall line, so that could be the southern limit of four seasons depending on definition (some definitions push this southern limit into the Florida panhandle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.