Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Yeah I am hearing good stuff about Texas, but I am not interested in TX, because it is way too humid there and I really wanted to get away from NJ due to the climate of the East.

PNW seems great for opportunity and not all of it is expensive. I guess even California pays well, because California is sustaining its young people while NJ is losing a lot of young people who can't make enough money to afford NJ's high COL.
Not all of Texas is humid.A big chunk of the state aint humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 11:51 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Sometimes when you go for low COL there are fewer jobs and opportunities, you can lose hope and that’s not good. People need hope. In NJ you may live in your elderly parents basement now but there’s more of chance for success, that you may meet someone and eventually hit it big.
That is an excellent point.

Regardless of your personal income, the likelihood of you meeting and eventually marrying a partner from a medium-to-high or high socioeconomic background is greater in an area with a high COL than in an area with a low COL. Oftentimes, this type of partnership results in greater financial security at the time of union and later in life. For married individuals who are well-educated and high-income, the likelihood of divorce, which is financially disastrous for most people, especially men, is lower than for people who are uneducated and/or low-income. This rule of thumb not only applies to you and your partner; it applies to your in-laws as well. In high COL areas, it is less likely that both you *AND* your in-laws will be divorced, assuming they originate in the same or an equivalent area. Therefore, your in-laws will have a greater amount of wealth in terms of monies, real estate and other possessions to bequeath to their children when they pass away. Inheritance is very helpful for people in significant debt or with children.

Additionally, in a high COL, you will have the opportunity to meet, interact with and befriend a greater number of wealthy, successful individuals just by the common denominator of place. Needless to say, this can open many doors to you from both professional and recreational standpoints. Generally, people in low COL areas will not invite you to join them in skiing at their vacation properties in the mountains or on yachting excursions, and they probably can not afford to loan you money, in the event of financial insecurity. Of course, that is not everything, but those are examples of experiences you likely would not find in a low COL area.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:23 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Not all of Texas is humid.A big chunk of the state aint humid.
Yeah but the eastern part is the only place where the jobs are and Odessa area on the western side is too small for me.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That is an excellent point.

Regardless of your personal income, the likelihood of you meeting and eventually marrying a partner from a medium-to-high or high socioeconomic background is greater in an area with a high COL than in an area with a low COL. Oftentimes, this type of partnership results in greater financial security at the time of union and later in life. For married individuals who are well-educated and high-income, the likelihood of divorce, which is financially disastrous for most people, especially men, is lower than for people who are uneducated and/or low-income. This rule of thumb not only applies to you and your partner; it applies to your in-laws as well. In high COL areas, it is less likely that both you *AND* your in-laws will be divorced, assuming they originate in the same or an equivalent area. Therefore, your in-laws will have a greater amount of wealth in terms of monies, real estate and other possessions to bequeath to their children when they pass away. Inheritance is very helpful for people in significant debt or with children.

Additionally, in a high COL, you will have the opportunity to meet, interact with and befriend a greater number of wealthy, successful individuals just by the common denominator of place. Needless to say, this can open many doors to you from both professional and recreational standpoints. Generally, people in low COL areas will not invite you to join them in skiing at their vacation properties in the mountains or on yachting excursions, and they probably can not afford to loan you money, in the event of financial insecurity. Of course, that is not everything, but those are examples of experiences you likely would not find in a low COL area.
Exactly, a low COL area like NM will be a retiree hotspot, not a place to meet people unless you are fine being an absolute recluse for life. Medium to high COL will have more young people and more mixture of white collared and blue collared younglings.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:32 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, undoubtedly you've read the Seattle forum, regarding where to live for the more affordable rents, locations that have an easy commute (by transit) into the city, and so on. And as a techie, I'm not sure why you're worried about COL, but there are definitely lower-cost options, including some very scenic ones.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, undoubtedly you've read the Seattle forum, regarding where to live for the more affordable rents, locations that have an easy commute (by transit) into the city, and so on. And as a techie, I'm not sure why you're worried about COL, but there are definitely lower-cost options, including some very scenic ones.
I never been on the Seattle forum before and I have not been on WA's forum in a long time.

Speaking of scenic places, the entire West is scenic and beautiful, so that's no issue.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Yeah but the eastern part is the only place where the jobs are and Odessa area on the western side is too small for me.
Okay I see.

Last edited by C24L; 05-01-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 01:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
El Paso.

Your obsession with millennials living at home in NJ because they're low lives or something is so repetitive. It's a high COL state with few options for cheaper apartment living that provide transit access to high paying jobs in Manhattan. People live at home so they can live in a city with an easy train commute to their high paying job in Manhattan. They save money and move out eventually. But, the entire point is they're making good money. You'll find losers living at home in every city across the world. The difference is that NJ millennials commute to Manhattan a lot, or even Newark.

If you move to a low COL city just for the low COL, you'll be sacrificing major career advances. Living in a city like Seattle will not really save you that much money. It's still expensive. It doesn't hurt to apply for jobs there, but you seem extremely picky so you shouldn't be ruling out other major IT job centers on the East Coast like Boston, NYC, Philly (not as strong for IT, but cheaper than NYC), DC, Raleigh, Atlanta and Nashville. Austin isn't cheap, but relatively cheaper than the Northeast still. Houston and Dallas are cheaper but have good jobs. Denver is kinda pricey now like Austin, but has good jobs. You can never apply to too many places.

I'll say it again, though. Stop worrying about what everyone else does. You say you obsess over one place NM and now you want to obsess over the PNW. You also obsess over what everyone else does. Stop. Obsessing. Over. Thing. You. Can't. Control. Live your own life and for the love of Gooodddddddddddd stop worrying about what literally everyone else is doing. Apply for jobs all over. Let people live at home if they want to. What is it your business and why do you care so much? It may look like they're struggling rn, but in reality, they're hopefully working a good job and putting a lot of money into their savings. It may look like they're behind, but they'll skyrocket ahead of someone like you. They've got their good job in Manhattan where the ceiling is much higher than in other small towns and low COL cities. Their income is going to just keep rising probably and they'll eventually move out with a ton of money in their bank account. Meanwhile, you'll probably then be complaining about how they're so privileged for having lived with their parents and saved up money and be jealous of them again. You just love to complain.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I never been on the Seattle forum before and I have not been on WA's forum in a long time.

Speaking of scenic places, the entire West is scenic and beautiful, so that's no issue.
Haha, true about the West, but I was referring to communities with waterfront on Puget Sound, beautiful views over the water of the mountains beyond. The alternative from that, lower-cost-housing-wise, is farm country, inland; not a good choice if you want to be around single young people.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Haha, true about the West, but I was referring to communities with waterfront on Puget Sound, beautiful views over the water of the mountains beyond. The alternative from that, lower-cost-housing-wise, is farm country, inland; not a good choice if you want to be around single young people.
My dream is to live in a semi rural area (regardless of who lives there) anyways and then be close enough to civilization. No I don't plan on living on some waterfront where it is expensive and prone to getting destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.