Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonaterla View Post
Im a mid 20s single guy and am looking to a city in the South. A little bit about me, I was born in Santa Monica and have lived in Orange County, CA since college. I have always wanted to experience living in another state and environment for at least 6 months or so before I get to old and the opportunity passes. My plan is to end up coming back to California after that but I wouldn't be opposed to staying long term if I enjoy it.

I am having trouble picking a city to move to. To put what I like into perspective, I grew up in LA and pretty much hated it. The traffic, sprawling city, run down places, people generally rude, no culture at all, expensive etc. I enjoy Orange county a lot better but still doesn't have much a culture (food, sports, or other) except for maybe a beachy vibe near the coast. Also which I feel is similar, I enjoyed Fort Worth more than Dallas when i visited because it felt less like a "big city" which I have always lived in. Regarding cost, remember I live in Southern California and am paying $1,000 to have my own room but share a bathroom in an apartment so it cant get much worse than out here. The cheapest 1 bedrooms are $1600 minimum here.

The reason for the south is that I love everything about it even though I have only been to Texas. I love country music, college football, sports in general, bbq food, live music, and am a conservative. And the southern accent is so amazing to me. The city doesn't have to be conservative obviously but being in a red state is appealing to me in general. I do like the outdoors and camping and am not crazy about the beach since I grew up with it (except for its amazing weather). Im basically looking for something different then what i grew up with. I like going out to bars/clubs sometimes but I mainly like not as crazy bars and love live music type atmospheres and two stepping bars. I like the South/East Coast area because it would give me the chance to travel to a lot of sports cities on weekends and see some NFL, MLB, and college football stadiums I wouldn't have the chance to see. I have traveled to a lot of cities across the US. Denver, Austin, Philly, Chicago, New York, San Fran, Boston, etc and found that a lot of big cities can sort of blend together in how they feel.

So basically for at least 6 months im looking for something different. My first thought was Nashville obviously because of the country music and live music scene. But after looking at videos and talking to friends, it mainly seems like a Southern version of vegas which seems miserable with traffic, tourists, non stop partying etc. And just in general not that different because of the tourists.

The cities which ive seen listed are basically: Charleston, Greenville, Greensboro, Savannah, Birmingham, Huntsville, Louisville, Winstem/Salem, Charlotte, Kansas City, Lexington, Asheville, Fayetteville, Biloxi, Richmond, and Wilmington. Not sure if I missed any. I wouldnt want Texas because ive been there so many times even though I do love it. And definitely not Atlanta because that seems like exactly what I wouldnt like.

For work I am currently a Front Desk agent at a hotel for a Hilton, so that gives me an opportunity to potentially transfer to one of these cities. Beyond that if I cant transfer, it would be nice if the job market in the city is relatively good (or if im able to drive for uber and lyft and make a decent amount in the mean time). Also of course the city with the hottest girls gets +10 points haha.
Lexington or Louisville, Kentucky my friend. Beautiful rolling hills, country music of course, some great bars/restaurants, great college sports, tons to do, etc...

And keep in Mind, Louisville & Lexington are damn near Nashville especially (2 1/2-3 hours), and is driving distance to all your other cities if you really want to explore (depending on how much you're willing to drive). Meaning if you wanted, you still also have access to pro sports and your other interests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 07:03 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Keep in mind that the "constant partying" of Nashville is basically the tourist traps along Lower Broadway. The traffic is bad and it's expensive, but the "party vibe" is easily avoidable.

Greenville, SC is my favorite city in the South. It's moderately sized - less than a million people - but has seen a ton of new development over the past decade or so with BMW, Michelin, and other manufacturing cities. Tons of energy downtown, easy winters, and great nearby water rec with Lake Jocassee/Keowee. It's also close to the WNC mountains.

Asheville is liberal, but a lot of fun and cooler summers if you can afford it. It's smaller than a lot of the other metros.

Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point are known a the NC Triad. This area probably has the lowest cost of living of the places you listed, and is relatively close to Charlotte, Raleigh (especially Greensboro), and somewhat close to the WNC. I've passed through there some, and it's an older area that was heavily dependent on tobacco, and has less energy to it than Greenville or Asheville.

Lexington is a relatively small metro, but very clean and safe and has the state flagship university.

Louisville is very hip in a great location with an excellent food/dining, bar, and urban scene.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:17 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Based on your list and your stated preferences, I would stick with the coastal cities, and in this order:

Charleston
Savannah
Wilmington

I would also add Jacksonville, FL to the list. It's a very underrated city.
I second this. I love all 4 of these. I think Jacksonville and Wilmington are very underrated.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:28 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point are known a the NC Triad. This area probably has the lowest cost of living of the places you listed, and is relatively close to Charlotte, Raleigh (especially Greensboro), and somewhat close to the WNC. I've passed through there some, and it's an older area that was heavily dependent on tobacco, and has less energy to it than Greenville or Asheville.
Have you been recently? Both Greensboro and Winston Salem have seen their downtown areas take off in terms of development, and are still evolving.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:58 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Charleston, SC

Old 05-06-2019, 04:14 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
I would add Columbia SC. College football is huge and the Panthers are only 90 miles away. One of the more popular mid sized cities for millennials.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:18 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
I am in the same situation as you, except I am 41 , but I am single guy who grew up in the Northwest and my move to the South will be permanent, not temporary. I'm going to post my own CIty vs City thread, but yours has captivated my interest.

As of now, I am leaning on moving to Knoxville, TN, because it is in the most beautiful natural location of all the cities listed except Asheville and Greenville that are pretty much located in the mountains. Greenville is a bit closer to the mountains than Knoxville, but not by much. I've scratched Charlotte off my list and you should keep it off your list too because the city is not Southern at all and has a very suburban yuppie New Jersey banker vibe to the city. Tampa would be a good city and you probably would be able to make friends there and date there. That is one thing that attracts me to Tampa is that it is a real city, large size and you are not surrounded by a bunch of married people who are also probably part of a religious community.

That is the one downside of the South, but there are many upsides, such as culture, Southern hospitality and friendliness you don't have in more East Coast or West Coast like cities. Tampa is kind of a hybrid I hear of Miami with a little Southernness and Midwest thrown into the mix, since it is a melting pot city. Miami is much more Latino and New York/Northeastern cultured and not my cup of tea at all.

Something you have to keep in mind is if you are single and don't attend a church community you may find it hard to both break-in and date in the South. People marry young and church communities I hear are major part of the life there. Of course, so moving to smaller cities/towns you may find it hard to break in. That is the issue I am facing. Although, I am at the point where I don't think I am much dating material anymore and I need to live as cheaply as possible as have become disabled with disc problems. So, cost is a major factor for me, but maybe not for you?

If you really want a Southern culture city where you can have a social life and it easier to break-in, I hear places like Charleston, Savannah, Nashville, New Orleans, Fort Worth, etc are much easier to break into. However, if you want to live in a beautiful location that is affordable, then Knoxville tops my list. I would have said Greenville, but I have heard it is a pretty dreadful place to be a single guy in your 20s to 40s. As well, Greenville is getting expensive and the taxes in South Carolina are very high and many don't realize it. Charleston would be astronomically expensive if you include taxes, but it would have been maybe my first choice if I could afford it, even though I am a mountain person and not a beach person so much. However, the town is suppose to be the most charming in America and one of the oldest.

Another town to consider is Chattanooga. Being that you are in your 20s, you may have more luck with the college crowd, so Knoxville and Chattanooga may be a great experience for you, whereas an old geezer like me will be stuck dating dysfunctional older people, single mothers, etc, which is pretty much how it is in smaller cities across the USA where people marry young and get divorced. You are actually at a great age, unlike me, as a college scene could be a benefit to you. Despite the fact I am sure Knoxville will be bad for me if I was to pursue dating, I don't think I will let it stop me , because the outdoors and beauty of nearby Great Smokey Mountain National Park and affordability are more essential. As well, I have found the people in Knoxville area to be very friendly , social and I think the Southern Appalachian culture is probably one of the most unique and greatest in our country.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Columbia SC and it has a very high crime rate. You are best to stick with Greenville or Charleston if you pick South Carolina.

Asheville is about as liberal as San Francisco (it's called SF of the South) and if you are conservative (like me) you may find it very polarizing like living in many liberal California cities.

Winston-Salem/Triad area are also on my list of places to live.. I'd probably be open to places in Texas, but I just couldn't stand living in a place that is so flat and need greenery, mountains or at least a nice ocean. Fort Worth would be my pick for Texas..

Here are the places I am considering relocating being in your like situation, single male, conservative (but being a wee bit older than you):
Knoxville, TN
Winston-Salem/Triad area (W/S, Greensboro, High Point)
Chattanooga, TN
Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater, FL
Roanoke/Blacksburg, VA (Probably would be too small and boring for me, but being in 20s , may be good for you)
Charleston, SC (Too expensive for me probably)
Greenville, SC (Not writing it off, but probably too expensive and boring for single, non-Christian guy)

Last edited by RotseCherut; 05-06-2019 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-06-2019, 06:57 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Greenville is a great place to be young and single. Ben Stein has said Greenville is like a college town for adults.

There are a lot of people here who don't go to church including me.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think you could have a great experience in many parts of the South. Knoxville, TN is also worth considering for its college sports scene and outdoors with mountains and lakes nearby, and is a very friendly place in general. It is more affordable than the larger and/or more "trendy" cities in the region such as Nashville, Atlanta or Asheville, but close enough to visit those places easily. Knoxville is large enough to have most major retail chains so many of the amenities you're used to in southern California are still around - it's very much a part of modern America.

Regarding your list, Kansas City has a lot to offer but it is not in the South by any standard definition. I wouldn't recommend Fayetteville, NC as it is mostly a military town with the unfavorable gender ratio that this implies - but Fayetteville, AR is nice and like a smaller Knoxville in some respects.
Definitely check out Knoxville as well as CHATTANOOGA if you want to go a bit smaller but still have a metro feel when you want it.

Also I agree with others who have pointed out Louisville KY and Huntsville, AL.

I am partial though to eastern TN - it's still a "red" state, no state income tax, and close to all sorts of cool things such as the Appalachians (and not too far a drive to the beach for that matter - half a day) and it has a surprising urbanity to it that I totally didn't expect, mixed in with the southern hospitality.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:17 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
I think the OP should target Nashville.

Visit it first, you'll love it. Don't go by what you hear. The city is booming and there is something for everyone. It has so much to do and it has a very exciting, happening "now" vibe to it.

Atlanta is another city you should add on your short list. Live inside the city in midtown, Virginia Highlands, Old 4th Ward, or the fast-gentrifying western Atlanta neighborhoods.

There are so many single scene options in both Atlanta and Nashville. They top the list in the south for best cities for a single person, in my opinion. Miami is there too, but Miami is a hybrid Central American meets LA meets European vibe. It's not a southeastern city at all-in terms of culture. But Fort Lauderdale may be a good option for you--a solid singles scene there.

In my opinion, check these out, from best to least best, based on your ideal spot:

1) Nashville
2) Atlanta
3) Fort Lauderdale
4) Knoxville
5) Greenville
6) Charlotte
7) Tampa
8) Louisville
9) Chattanooga
10) Birmingham

Let us know what you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.