Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 01:59 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times

Advertisements

In Birmingham I’d say it’s either Homewood or Hoover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 02:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Eh. Denver is like that and everyone thinks it's cool.
That's exactly why I think it's not lol

Old 05-20-2019, 05:15 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post

However, when you look at a city like Chicago, it really has no trendy or hip suburbs or neighboring cities. The closest would be Evanston or Oak Park, and they are very nice suburbs with things to do, but most people would not consider them hip, trendy or cool.
Naperville would like to have a word with you.

Also, you can't just write off Oak Park and Evanston. They aren't just "nice" suburbs, they are some of the most liberal suburbs in the entire country and have plenty of bars, clubs, and trendy restaurants/shops in their downtown areas. Especially Evanston with Northwestern being literally right there.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:30 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Oak Park and Evanston can settle for being nice, urban suburbs. Nothing particularly cool about either.

Home Alone was in Winetka.
Oak Park is fairly "cool", though I will agree it's mostly viewed as being a suburban family town that happens to have big city amenities like Metra/CTA access and being very walkable/bikeable. That said, I do believe Oak Park will become more "cool" as more and more of the west side becomes gentrified, especially from the east.

I think writing off Evanston as only being a "nice suburb" is laughable. It's also a college town that is definitely moving away from the "old money" suburban stereotype a lot of people typically associate with every suburb along the north shore.

Naperville's downtown is truly remarkable and I believe definitely passes for being considered "cool", even knowing Naperville as a whole is still seen as a typical white collar and sprawly suburb/ ex-burb. It's definitely become the best downtown core in the entire Chicago area easily, and definitely has become trendy with the amount of bars, restaurants, and stores that have, and continue to open up there.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:51 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Misread title last post.

NYC--> Hoboken
LA--> Hollywood/Santa Monica
Chicago--> ?
Houston--> ?
Dallas--> Arlington, Ft. Worth
Boston--> Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline
Atlanta--> ?
DC--> Arlington
San Francisco--> The whole damn Bay Area
Phoenix--> Scottsdale
Miami--> Miami Beach
Orlando--> Winter Park

Old 05-21-2019, 07:29 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Dallas--> Arlington, Ft. Worth
Arlington is not cool, unless you think having more used car dealerships per capita qualifies.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:31 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
I'd say the majority of cities in the country would be devoid of trendy, cool suburbs. I know Buffalo sure doesn't have any.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:59 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I'd say the majority of cities in the country would be devoid of trendy, cool suburbs. I know Buffalo sure doesn't have any.
East Aurora? It sure ain't Depew.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:42 PM

515 posts, read 253,050 times
yikes... I don't think Charlotte has one. Davidson is somewhat cool but the housing stock resembles a usual suburb. All the trendy areas in Charlotte are inside city limits and Ballantyne probably doesn't fit this description. If you consider Chapel Hill a suburb, then maybe the Triangle has met this. Can't think of any suburb in SC either. For Atlanta, it might be Decatur(?)

Old 03-09-2021, 07:44 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Does Houston have "trendy" suburbs? I feel like the city limits are so far out, any areas of high activity will probably be in the city proper, and this goes for a lot of Southern and Western cities.
The Woodlands, Galveston, even Sugar Land.

The Woodlands is very trendy, the shopping areas are very different from the rest of the metro and the Woodlands is a very popular place for concerts.

Galveston has the nightlife, beaches, Waterpark, moody gardens, antique spots.

Sugar Land is a lot more new, but up and coming. It is trying to develop an identity with amenities such as minor league sports teams, hosting concerts and its town Square is gaining popularity with festivals.

Katy has its spots but those are largely unincorporated and undefined areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.