Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you more nature-oriented or city-oriented?
I love the city more 34 47.89%
I love nature more 37 52.11%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 06:29 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Boise not being a super-dense city doesn't mean it's closer to being "nature" than "city". Syringaloid characterized it as halfway between the two, and if anything it should really be closer to "city".

This thread isn't about whether you like denser or more suburban cities; it's about whether you like developed, inhabited land or the wilderness.
I don't read the thread that way. To me, it's more of a question of given a certain size of city, would you take the one with a better natural setting or better infrastructure and urban layout? Would you take Des Moines or Little Rock? San Antonio or Nashville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 06:41 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,127 times
Nature. It's cool to walk in the woods and look at all the trees and different animals. Relaxing too.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:58 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
I am both really, lol. I would only want to live in a metro with over 1 million people, but I LOVE areas with lots of outdoor activities. So, a combination of the 2.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

You can live in the walkable neighborhoods and still need a car to access most of the city? Not urban to me.

Based on your opinion, you have pretty much discounted many large cities, including other large western cities such as Denver and Salt Lake. Despite the fact they have public transportation they are very suburban with small built up downtown environments when compared to older cities in the East.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,629,946 times
City of Denver has a very walkable downtown area, decent light rail system, and has the A line that goes from Union Station to the airport. There are also plenty of RTD bus routes you can take from the major suburbs to catch a Rockies or Broncos game. It's urban enough for most people looking for those amenities.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Thanks for this sensible response. For some reason the OP decided to take my post (I quoted below) and twist it into an argument he or she instigated. Classic example of Trolling. (sorry OP, Boise is definitely a mix of both)... Maybe the OP should practice reading comprehension?
You couldn’t prove to me Boise was more like an urban town than suburban sprawl. So I arrest my case, but you still have time I suppose. Prove to me that it’s really both, otherwise I’m not going to believe you. Then I won’t argue with you anymore. That’s all I’m asking. You said it’s both, I said why I didn’t believe you and asked you to prove it, and you haven’t done so. I really am interested in hearing why, I’m not trolling. Prove me wrong.

And TohobitPeak, sounds about right. If the bus takes you two hours where driving can take less than 20 minutes, it’s bad and inefficient public transportation. Having a light rail and/or commuter rail system helps a lot, and to me with many cities getting on board with that they are really working towards that goal and I’m all for it. If the city has a lot less NIMBYs and is working towards density I support them. Some cities, especially my own, really struggle with that.

And also to Phil P, that’s closer to what I meant essentially. No city really has both in the us, with the exception of maybe the Bay Area, as Western cities (with better nature IMO) are newer and therefore became big during the peak of suburban development post WW2 in contrast to Eastern cities (nature further away) that developed before the car. Therefore even subconsciously, people really are choosing. No right or wrong answer to that, as we all have different interests.

I’m currently in the hospital so yes I’m having a couple bad days. That doesn’t change that you are stating something as if it’s a fact and you aren’t willing to back it up as I’m challenging you on it.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:04 PM

56 posts, read 55,484 times
I love both. Dislike suburbs.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Been to all 50 states and love getting on the road and visiting national parks and relaxing, grew up in Iowa. But. I'm 40 years old and if I didn't live in the heart of a large urban/dense city I think I would die on the inside. It's just a part of who I am and what I need.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:17 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
I like both of them, but I feel more comfortable in a city with all its amenities.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
I love the look of a city. The skylines, especially at night, can be breath taking.

However, I am at heart a nature lover. If it weren't for my desire to use the internet, I'd leave the small town world and return to the full rural one. But, I do really enjoy my small communities (less than 5000 people let's say) in their own right. They are a lovely mix of rural aspects and modern amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.