Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times

Advertisements

What is the coldest place in the United States of America you could live in if you had to?Mine would be Albuquerque,New Mexico or Denver,Colorado or Lubbock, Texas.I am curious to hear yours everybody.Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
What is the coldest place in the United States of America you could live in if you had to?Mine would be Albuquerque,New Mexico or Denver,Colorado or Lubbock, Texas.I am curious to hear yours everybody.Thanks in advance.
The San Bernardino Mountains in Southern California. When the snow and cold got to me I could drive 30 minutes to the bottom of the hill and play golf, run errands, etc, in shorts and a T-shirt where it’s 70F and sunny. Besides that, and more importantly, I could be at the beach and surfing in 1.5 hours.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,891,915 times
If it were a nice place I could live in someplace as cold as Truckee CA, one of the coldest places in the U.S, to enjoy the winter sports lifestyle there.

Clothing technology is pretty amazing these days, when visiting places up in Tahoe or Maine as we do most years in the dead of winter we are often in sub-zero weather for hours at a time out and about in complete comfort as we snowshoe, ski or snowmobile. To be sure it would be different to be there full time but it would still be with good AWD vehicles, snow tires, the same clothing technology and, as stated before, the nice, well designed and insulated efficient house to live in those harsh elements.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:10 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
I probably couldn't do Alaska, but not because of the temperatures. I would go nuts from the boredom of really having no big cities and no easy way to get to any.

So I guess Minneapolis, Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester, somewhere like that.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
I don't think I have a limit, but I've been living in the coldest place I've ever lived for the past 12 years.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
I already pretty much do live in the place with the coldest winters in the US outside of Alaska. So I guess Minneapolis?

Contrary to popular belief, a lot of Alaska really doesn't get very cold. Coastal areas (especially places like Juneau or Ketchikan) are relatively mild, like a slightly colder Seattle. Even Anchorage gets winters that are basically the same as Minneapolis. You really have to get deep into the interior to get truly scary, Siberian-like cold in places such as Fairbanks.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:25 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The San Bernardino Mountains in Southern California. When the snow and cold got to me I could drive 30 minutes to the bottom of the hill and play golf, run errands, etc, in shorts and a T-shirt where it’s 70F and sunny. Besides that, and more importantly, I could be at the beach and surfing in 1.5 hours.
Was in San Bernardino county California last year and loved it! I know it's desert terrain, but so much different from my home in the east coast. That would be the best of both worlds.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
I spent 9 years in Michigan’s upper peninsula. That kind of cold is indescribable, I’ve seen the back window of a car explode from simply closing the door. It was -40 real temp and there was 5 feet of snow on the ground when that happened. It hurts to breath air like that. Snow remains in places till May. It starts snowing in September or October, it is the epitome of an extreme winter climate. While that place is beautiful and wild there is no way I could live there now. I was in my 20s when i lived there. I don’t know how I did it.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I already pretty much do live in the place with the coldest winters in the US outside of Alaska. So I guess Minneapolis?

Contrary to popular belief, a lot of Alaska really doesn't get very cold. Coastal areas (especially places like Juneau or Ketchikan) are relatively mild, like a slightly colder Seattle. Even Anchorage gets winters that are basically the same as Minneapolis. You really have to get deep into the interior to get truly scary, Siberian-like cold in places such as Fairbanks.
You are right, most Alaskans live in places like Anchorage or other coastal towns. Basically a cooler Seattle without the hipsters and coffee shops.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
I've lived in New England, the Midwest, and South. As long as I can dress appropriately, neither hot nor cold bother me. So I guess there really are no limits I can think of for me. I do have preferences, though. I much prefer the heat of the South. But the cold of New England never bothered me when I was there. I actually love snow. I had the proper clothing and I was fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.