Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:29 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times

Advertisements

Syracuse, NY is pretty comparable to Madison WI.

South Bend, IN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 09:27 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

South Bend, IN.
In regards to the thread, this is the part of the city that is generally like that, even though you will see some things that reference or are a part of the university in other parts of the city: https://university-hill.com/
- https://crousemarshall.com/
UNPA | University Neighborhood Preservation Association
seuna - Home
OCNA - Outer Comstock Neighborhood Association (OCNA) - Syracuse, New York :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AykUqM4xrIc
https://westcottsyr.com/
Berkeley Park Properties 1

So, this is roughly that "college town" section of the city that I was referring to earlier in the thread.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-30-2019 at 09:35 PM..

Old 05-31-2019, 11:07 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

South Bend, IN.
I can't think of much that is college town about South Bend. The university (on the outskirts) doesn't relate to the city very much. Notre Dame isn't in South Bend; it is in Notre Dame (like Stanford is not in Palo Alto but in Stanford).

and while both Notre Dame and Stanford are their own municipalities, Stanford is far more aligned with PA than ND is with SB.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
William and Mary is public.
Oops, my bad. I guess I forget because I've never seen a research university that felt less 'public'.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:35 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
Waco is pretty dumpy and I don't get the feeling that Baylor dominates the culture of the town the way most public schools in towns that size would.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:09 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Given the smaller size of private colleges, you'll have to think of much smaller towns and smaller colleges. Hanover, Princeton, and Palo Alto* at the high end; in the middle, lots of liberal arts colleges situated in tiny college towns, from Williamstown to Oberlin to Northfield to Claremont.*
Definitely. The biggest private schools are much smaller than the biggest public schools and the top few are almost all in big cities. The lone exception being BYU in Provo. I don't know Provo enough to say how much it's influenced by BYU, but I don't know that I hear it talked about much as a "college town."

Hanover and Princeton are the two that jump out to me, and Hanover might jump out a little more as Princeton is a big town sandwiched between NYC/Philly so you have a lot of suburban development/activity to dilute the collegiate feel a bit, but not too much. Middlebury, VT is another one that stands out to me on a small scale, but at this point there have to be a bunch across the country that are similar.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:22 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
We think of college towns in terms of...

• towns strongly influenced by the university in their midst
• towns whose institutions...likes stores, restaurants, entertainment reflect the university's location
• towns where the university is a large part of their own identity
• towns where the university is big enough to generate the above
• no big cities (Minneapolis is not a college town; either is Seattle)

Most of these towns, I would argue, are towns where state universities are located, where large enrollments and a true connection to their state, gives them so much of that college town feel.

The list is endless and this one is hardly conclusive, but State College, Charlottesville, Chapel Hill, Athens, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Oxford, Ann Arbor, Bloomington, Madison, Iowa City, Columbia, Lawrence, Boulder, Berkeley, Eugene,etc.

But for private universities, I think maybe only one (at least in my mind) jumps out at you: Princeton. Cambridge, for example, is well known, but doesn't come across collegiate in the same way (to me)

Are there college towns of private universities that share the characteristics of college towns of public universities I listed above?
I think Searcy, Arkansas is very much influenced by Harding University or so Ive heard so maybe Searcy would count.Harding is a very big part of the community and Searcy's identity.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:36 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
UL Lafayette in Louisiana is a huge part of the feel of the city. its very Cajun and beloved here as a sense of pride. Louisiana ensures that only LSU gets the glory but UL holds its own

Old 06-01-2019, 11:26 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
UL Lafayette in Louisiana is a huge part of the feel of the city. its very Cajun and beloved here as a sense of pride. Louisiana ensures that only LSU gets the glory but UL holds its own
UL-L is public. OP asked for Private.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:31 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
I associate major athletics with the big public's in college towns.

That rules out most private colleges except Duke, Stanford, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.