Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

I remember doing campus recruiting at what used to be Brooklyn Polytech when I had my first job out of college in Danbury CT which is right on the NY line. I had someone ask me if they could take the subway to Danbury. Err... No. I also saw a number of resumes that had "Drivers License" on them. As a suburban kid where your right of passage is to get your license at age 16 1/2, that seemed a bit strange until I thought about NYC and car ownership.

I think there are an awful lot of NYC natives who don't own cars and who pretty much never travel beyond subway range. If they do travel, it's commercial jet or Amtrak to another state or another country. White Plains is "upstate". Somewhere like Ithaca might as well be on the moon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I felt no connection with the rest of the state...or NJ, Westchester or Long Island.
Legally speaking, NYC is subject to New York state laws, tax, etc. Do New Yorkers care about the govonor election and state politics in general? Do New Yorkers pay in-state tuition when attending public universities in nearby states like NJ?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I remember doing campus recruiting at what used to be Brooklyn Polytech when I had my first job out of college in Danbury CT which is right on the NY line. I had someone ask me if they could take the subway to Danbury. Err... No. I also saw a number of resumes that had "Drivers License" on them. As a suburban kid where your right of passage is to get your license at age 16 1/2, that seemed a bit strange until I thought about NYC and car ownership.

I think there are an awful lot of NYC natives who don't own cars and who pretty much never travel beyond subway range. If they do travel, it's commercial jet or Amtrak to another state or another country. White Plains is "upstate". Somewhere like Ithaca might as well be on the moon.
I think people in other parts of the country understand how much of a self-contained universe New York City is. It’s not so much the New Yorkers. They simply don’t see the connection. As a kid, the far-flung, car dependent areas of Brooklyn, Queens in the Bronx were our “suburbs“. Anything beyond that was out of town.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Legally speaking, NYC is subject to New York state laws, tax, etc. Do New Yorkers care about the govonor election and state politics in general? Do New Yorkers pay in-state tuition when attending public universities in nearby states like NJ?
No. If you don't live in NJ, you pay out of state rates.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I felt no connection with the rest of the state...or NJ, Westchester or Long Island.
Are you native to NYC or did you migrate there?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
NYC is in such a far flung corner, almost entirely removed from the bulk of the state. The city is even in an entirely different climate zone. A lot of people do not realize how far south NYC actually sits when compared to the rest of NY. NYC is very much why NY is considered a Mid Atlantic state.

I would be shocked if most NYC residents felt anymore connected to upstate regions than we do with them. Up here it seems as though people from NYC flood in constantly, especially in the summer. However, there are so many people down there that it is likely a tiny fraction.

It is also worth noting that there exists a mountain range between most of upstate and NYC. Even physically the state is partially disconnected.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:19 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Yet up here we'd never consider White Plains upstate, and we all think Ithaca belongs down there too. haha

Old 05-17-2019, 06:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Are you native to NYC or did you migrate there?
Moved there at age 6.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On the flip side, given some of the areas with the highest Italian American percentages are Upstate, they may feel at home in say Oneida or Schenectady Counties. That’s if they are aware of this.
Years ago, I traveled to Utica, and I vividly recall my Italian-American cousins from Rockland County telling me that Utica/Oneida County is "redneck," so I presume very few folks who live "Downstate," especially those in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, would feel "at home" in Utica or elsewhere in Oneida County, regardless of their ancestry or ethnicity.

Despite further proximity, Oneida County bears a stronger resemblance to New England than Rockland County, especially in the villages of Clinton and New Hartford. If I am not mistaken, the extent of colonial Dutch settlement in the Mohawk Valley region was Utica. Beyond there, most towns and villages were historically settled by New Englanders of colonial British stock.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM

93,308 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Years ago, I traveled to Utica, and I vividly recall my Italian-American cousins from Rockland County telling me that Utica/Oneida County is "redneck," so I presume very few folks who live "Downstate," especially those in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, would feel "at home" in Utica or elsewhere in Oneida County, regardless of their ancestry or ethnicity.

Despite further proximity, Oneida County bears a stronger resemblance to New England than Rockland County, especially in the villages of Clinton and New Hartford. If I am not mistaken, the extent of colonial Dutch settlement in the Mohawk Valley region was Utica. Beyond there, most towns and villages were historically settled by New Englanders of colonial British stock.
Pretty much, but as you mentioned, some of the villages in the area have a New England feel to them.

Italians in the area were/somewhat still are concentrated in East Utica and along East Dominick Street in Rome. Frankfort next to East Utica has one of the highest Italian percentages of a municipality in the country as well and quite a few are in Herkimer, among other places, too. So, it depends on where in the area you are or go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.