Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:25 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee784 View Post
No offense, but something tells me the OP doesn't care about your religious beliefs and the suggestion that becoming religious makes one better.
I'm going to have to second that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 05:27 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
So is Italy, France & Spain heavily Catholic-but nobody really goes to church all that much or listens to the Pope!

The same holds true for New England- which is almost a mirror image of western Europe socially and religiously.
We also have large protestant minorities here-mostly New England Congregationalist-very liberal- and a sizable Jewish minority in the larger metro areas.

Also Coastal Connecticut experiences light snowfall- averaging about 20-25" a year.
To someone from California its going to seem like much more than light snowfall lol

Old 04-18-2008, 05:35 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I'm in Burlington VT. I've a number of Libertarian friends here. And Athiests here are pretty much unremarkable. Schools are great, Chittenden County is welcoming to all sorts of people, the climate strikes me as utterly sensible. But I believe you've ruled us out...

I'd echo the suggestion of Verseau above that you look at New Hampshire. It's not VT, but hey...

Best of luck!

David

I second this suggestion! VT seems good...

Old 04-18-2008, 06:15 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHazard View Post
Regarding Seattle.. likewise about the weather. Is it really always raining there or is that a myth and it's only overcast? I have always loved that light. It's the perfect reading light. And IT industry is good there. Microsoft headquarters. Gotta check that out as well. We will plan a visit.
It's overcast a lot during the winter months and although it drizzles often it's not enough to prevent people from doing whatever they want. I played baseball year-round growing up and we'd probably only have a game called due to weather maybe 3-4 times a year.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:26 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Contrary to popular belief, a lot of the South has pockets of Libertarians. I'm living proof of that. My mentality is do whatever you want as long as you aren't hurting anyone else, and we should have economic freedom. Sure I'm religious, but that doesn't mean my political standing has to be based on that.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,815 times
Please come to NC! I am a CA transplant--well, I lived in NH along the way as well & the Triangle area (Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham) is where we're headed now because of the secular homeschooling community--yes, I'm a freak who home schools my daughter...<grin>.
I related to your post so much.

Don't completely rule out NC...I am finding some kindred spirits in the Triangle area.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:35 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Quote:
1. San Jose, CA (in one of the nicer suburbs near by)
Pros - non-religious or at least open to people of different beliefs, good enough schools, Great job opportunities, non-racist or at least open to people of different races, shorter commute, incredible weather
Cons - located in CA, a nice suburb will have lower crime but San Jose has high crime, high COL and high RE costs

2. Greenwich, CT
Pros - Great schools, great job opportunites (in NY), awesome low crime
Cons - horrible commute (via trains, subways, taxis), don't know whether they are religious or racist, super duper high COL, super duper high RE costs, extreme weather = high utilities costs, and I think they have lots of snow.

4. Oahu, HI
Pros - beautiful place!, people are sooo nice and laid back, great culture and it doesn't hurt that my kids will blend in very well, open to other people with different beliefs, okay commute, safe, oh my goodness they have absolutely perfect weather
Cons - public schools are bad, high COL, high RE costs, no jobs except in hotel/resort industry (afraid we will end up homeless in honolulu if hubby loses his job)
Not good states for Libertarians. In fact it seem like a lot of places people are suggesting here and not Libertarian either. Vermont? Conneticut? Austin, Tx? Libertarian is not the same as Liberal. These states and cities might as well have People's Republic before their name. Do you all not know who Ayn Rand even is? Any state that would elect Patrick Leahy or Chris Dodd is not Libertarian. I'd like to see you try to where any fur in Austin, weather aside of course.

Please move to Boise, or Idaho we are prodominately a Libertarian/Ayn Rand kind of state, and need more classic liberals. And the weather is great. Some cold some hot, usually a little in between.

Just don't move to Eastern Idaho. (Don't think you'd get along with the Mormons)

Last edited by jufrbo; 04-19-2008 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 07:07 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
Quote:
Thanks for that suggestion! I actually didn't know about the Free State Project until you mentioned it. It sounds like a very cute idea! I didn't realize that Libertarianism is very strong anywhere -laugh-. That is so great if that's the case. Now how do they feel about Atheists? This one will definitely go on the list!
I've never encountered any negative attitude about atheists in NH. According to the census, 17% are non-religious and probably a lot more are not church-goers.

I'm not an atheist personally, but I can tell you that New Englanders are not prone to discuss religion, especially to relative strangers. We consider it polite to mind our own business.

Edit: Actually, according to this link, NH has the lowest church attendance rate in the country, with only 24% of its citizens attending every week.

Last edited by Verseau; 04-19-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 08:04 PM

66 posts, read 341,700 times
What a bunch of self-absorbed sissies. Most of America is not worthy of being your neighbor? Good Lord, maybe you people should pray for some wisdom and humility. There are millions of Americans who are far better than you in EVERY respect living in every state, every city, in every neighborhood who couldn't care less about your bratty selfish views.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:39 AM

84 posts, read 297,979 times
Default Gee, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Anonymous_American View Post
What a bunch of self-absorbed sissies. Most of America is not worthy of being your neighbor? Good Lord, maybe you people should pray for some wisdom and humility. There are millions of Americans who are far better than you in EVERY respect living in every state, every city, in every neighborhood who couldn't care less about your bratty selfish views.

yeah, i know. trying to find a good place to raise kids who aren't white, blonde, blue-eyed, and Christian is such a sissy thing to do! trying to find a place where they won't be attacked for what they believe in, what their parents believe in, what they look like, and who they are is also very very sissy.

by golly, we must be the wimpiest parents on the planet because i will never purposely stick them in the Deep South boonies to roast marshmallows by the raging fiery cross displayed so festively on our front lawn. Hey, did you know that there are places in the USA where non-white/colored people are not allowed to be buried next to white people in their cemetary? But wait, that means our interracial Asian sons will not be allowed to be buried next to their Caucasian Daddy! They would have to be buried down the road, somewhere farther away. That would be so sad!

Oh and I choose not to stick our kids in a cesspool of crime and violence where they need to learn to dodge bullets or make sure they don't accidentally wear the wrong colors of the rainbow. Did you also know that in some cities in our beautiful country that people are shot not because of the color of their skins but because of the color of their shirts? I learned that on another thread on City-Data titled something like, "Will I die in Compton?" and also from nightly news reports.

darn us for being responsible parents! i wish we were as manly and brave as you. btw, please let me know when you're planning to move your fearless family to Compton, Ca? I hear they love it when newcomers wear red or blue. They even fire celebratory shots in the air to show their love for you and your bravery.

I agree there must be millions of Americans who are better than us who couldn't care about our views. Could you tell me where? That way, we may consider moving there as I WANT to live where people don't care about my views. You see, that was the POINT of the thread after all. And living next to people who are better than me? Wow, that would be extra special! Then I could learn from them and be even better than I am! Self-improvement is always a good thing. Thanks for your concern and your valuable input!

ps... uh oh, it seems like someone might have a slight inferiority complex going here. I mean, no one in these posts have insinuated or implied that they were better than anyone. No one indicated that "most of america is not worthy" in any way. Why would you automatically assume that anyone is saying that they are better than you or that the cities that may not be appropriate for them is "not worthy"? In fact, many many people have chimed in on how much they love these cities and many cities that they have lived in here in America.

Just to let you in on something; this is a relocation forum! yes! people actually come here to find out WHERE to relocate to! in order to do that, they must determine which state(s) will fit them the most!

Let me try to explain; you see, we here are lucky enough to live in a country with 50 BEAUTIFUL states that are all DIFFERENT! So in order to narrow down which state and city to live in as we can't afford to live in more than just one at a time, we must determine the pros and cons to each place! And then pick one that fits us the best!

For example; just because my favorite ice cream flavor is Strawberry Cheesecake, doesn't mean I think all other flavors are bad or "not worthy" for me to eat! I also love Chocolate Brownie ice cream, frozen custard, Coffee gelato, and Banana Split Dippin Dots. See... You pick the one that best suits you as your favorite but that doesn't mean you don't still love any other! See how that works?

Except here, much more importantly I'm trying to find a place to raise an unique family that may not fit in everywhere or be welcomed everywhere. I am a sissy Mommy in that I can't stand my kids scraping their knees let alone coming home with a broken nose because racist religious zealots beat them up because they were different. BTW, not all places with better people who don't care about our views will even want us to be their neighbors. I'm sure we would make horrible neighbors for you. I'll make you a deal, if you tell us where YOU live, I promise we won't move next door to you. Honest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.