Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 PM

30,346 posts, read 19,134,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Possibly. But if the metric is not too hot, not to cold, it would be hard not to say San Francisco fits the bill. I am guessing here, but I'm fairly sue SF has the smallest range between highest average to lowest average monthly temp's.

Of course, SF has a dampness that LA does not. And with that dampness and with the winds, SF can be chillingly cold during the winter, the type of cold that goes straight through you. But on the whole, I really do believe SF meets the criteria above.
Yeah just depends on what a person's definition of "great weather" is. I do like the Bay area climate as well so hard for me to disagree with you but it does get some rain and wind that is a bit chilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 11:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Depends on what you consider too hot or too cold. There are plenty of places in CA that were too hot for me
The same can be said for places in California that are too cold.

I went on a road trip around the state last year right around this time (week right before Memorial Day weekend) and found a lot of the state to be uncomfortably chilly or even downright cold for late May (particularly along the coasts and in the Sierras). Even LA was gloomy and chilly then.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:29 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,460 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_climate

Old 05-27-2019, 05:43 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
The Blue Ridge Mountains in NC and VA largely along the I-81 corridor offer up some nice options, although the concept of "not to" is open to interpretation.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:44 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,227,308 times
In the US? Then yes, coastal Southern CA its the only place that can be counted to have highs between low 60s and high 70s most of the time no matter the season.

The other suggestions in this thread are misguided. The higher elevations in the inland SW have cooler summers than the desert valleys, but they also can and do have chilly winters with snow being no rarity. The general problem there is that elevation is simply a cooling factor, but it doesnt lead to moderation and balance like the sea does. The inland West beyond the Cascades and Sierras sees the typical more extreme weather of more continental climates.

The same problem exists out East. The Appalachians arent more moderate than the lowland South, they are just colder. This means more tolerable summers, but also colder winters. The Eastern U.S. are characterized by the unimpeded flow of Arctic air south in winter and the similarly unimpeded flow of moist, hot air northward in summer. This leads to chilly winter weather being common enough even into the Carolinas and humid heat being a typical summer factor well into the Northern Mid-Atlantic states. The mountains just give you a chillier version of that. Florida‘s Southern half exploded in the last 60 years development-wise because its the only part in the East that‘s “safe” in winter for winter-hating Northern escapees. But of course that instead gives you Caribbean heat for much of the year.

So yes, LA and coastal vicinity it is...theres a reason its extremely expensive in spite of the bums and the taxes.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:55 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,823 times
Palm Springs, California doesn't fit the bill with highs around 120 Degrees F.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:01 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

I went on a road trip around the state last year right around this time (week right before Memorial Day weekend) and found a lot of the state to be uncomfortably chilly or even downright cold for late May (particularly along the coasts and in the Sierras). Even LA was gloomy and chilly then.
This is a case of normal, seasonal weather in California being different from your expectations. The coast is slow to warm up in spring and slow to cool down in the fall. Tourists are often disappointed that May and June are "too cold" to be summer, and disgusted that September and October are "too hot" to be fall. If they had scheduled their beach vacation in September instead of May, they'd have been thrilled.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:41 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
DC can be a humid hellscape in the warmer months.
The South Jersey Shore is quite comfortable April through November at the same latitude as D.C. and gets a constant ocean breeze.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:12 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
On average, CA probably has the best climate in the country but it is not without its periods throughout the year that have periods of less than ideal weather—at least for me.

I lived in the state for 33 years. Even San Diego, has its lengthy periods. Every day is NOT a beach day and my definition of a beach day means being able to lie out and sunbathe—not just showing up on your bike with a sweatshirt and sweatpants, or more, on. December through the end of March can get chilly, outside of the once a month 3-4 day Santa Ana, with temperatures dipping down to the low 40’s and highs only reaching the high 50’s or low 60’s....now, nobody will confuse that for a Chicago winter but some high 50’s/low 60 days in the winter there felt much colder than what the thermometer read (I grew up in NY and know what chilly feels like) and I ended up needing my winter coat at least 30+ mornings, or more, when sitting outside my local coffee shop for breakfast with friends. Recent years have seen late summer/early fall temperatures exceed 90, or higher, during an extended heat wave(s). In short, it is a myth that every day is 72 in SoCal with little fluctuation. You do have periods, sometimes extended ones, where it gets chilly bordering on cold as well as hot bordering on very hot. You have to dig a little deeper into the averages. I often found San Diego to have the coldest 60-65 I’ve ever felt (in the winter) and the warmest 65+ I’ve ever felt (in the spring). Add in May Gray/June gloom when it can remain foggy most of the day by the coast. On average, not too hot or too cold (most of the year), certainly not intolerable, but not without its periods and fluctuation. OP might like this variation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

Last edited by elchevere; 05-27-2019 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-27-2019, 12:28 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
the area around DC/Virginia is also not too extreme most of the time.
except when its 90 with high humidity for 6 weeks in a row, getting two feet of snow, or full of toppled trees after a thunderstorm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.