Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 11:01 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Not sure where the "youth sports are bigger in the South" comments are coming from. I've lived in both GA and NY my whole life and that is simply not true. Maybe when it comes to certain sports but to say youth sports are bigger in the South is a ridiculous statement.
I made that statement and it was just my personal observation between living in MA and NC. There was a very noticable difference between the two, with there being more of a presence in NC. I've met others who have moved South from the Northeast who have said the same thing. I didn't say every sport was bigger. And, no, I'm not speaking about any statistical data that validates what I'm saying. I'm just expressing what I observed for the year and a half in the Boston area compared to the Charlotte area and others observations who have moved South. If that wasn't your experience, that's fine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 07:17 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I made that statement and it was just my personal observation between living in MA and NC. There was a very noticable difference between the two, with there being more of a presence in NC. I've met others who have moved South from the Northeast who have said the same thing. I didn't say every sport was bigger. And, no, I'm not speaking about any statistical data that validates what I'm saying. I'm just expressing what I observed for the year and a half in the Boston area compared to the Charlotte area and others observations who have moved South. If that wasn't your experience, that's fine too.
I agree with you, as someone who has lived in NY for most of his life, and in NC for 7 years. The difference is indeed, very noticable.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:40 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
My kids adamantly refuse to move to the south because they don't want to give up their competitive hockey. No one in our house cares even the slightest bit about football.
Youth hockey opportunities in the south are more widely available than you'd think. I'm from Canada originally, so I know all about hockey being a form of religion, just as football is in the south. In fact, my hometown of Toronto probably considers itself to be more faithful than most other northern hockey cities.

We lived in Metro Detroit for years before moving South, and we put our older son (now 20 years old) into hockey when he was 5. He played on very active teams for years before we left. But what we never saw there, not once in 14 years, was kids playing street hockey, something that is practically part of everyday life in any Canadian city most of the year.

Anyway, when moving to Nashville, opportunities for our son to play hockey was a factor in choosing which part of town was best for us. When our realtor took us to view a house on a quiet street in Franklin, TN, we saw a group of young kids outside...playing street hockey! We moved in a couple of months later. Our son was able to be active in youth hockey leagues here, and he played for the varsity team at the high school my kids attended.

Yes, there are far fewer ice arenas in the south and fewer (or non-existent) opportunities for winter sports and activities, generally (I miss skating terribly), but in some select areas, it's decent and I think getting better.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:48 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
The South has everything. I'm partial to the North myself, particularly Midwest, just out of familiarity but they have everything in the South. May not be on the scale of what one takes for granted up North, but if they look hard enough they'll find it.

If that is the only reason for not going down to South it is interesting how important some things are to a person until they're forced to consider what it is like without them. Just human nature I guess.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:26 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Hubby just got back from a trip to Nashville and Atlanta yesterday. Confirmed he never wants to move to either. Nashville is great to visit but not a place we'd care to live. I could go without ever visiting Atlanta again.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:29 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Hubby just got back from a trip to Nashville and Atlanta yesterday. Confirmed he never wants to move to either. Nashville is great to visit but not a place we'd care to live. I could go without ever visiting Atlanta again.
Considering your already built in anti-Atlanta bias, I hope hubby doesn't work for Fiserv. With the Atlanta based National Data merger and their already large presence here, there are rumblings of a HQ's move from Milwaukee. Hopefully that telecommuting position holds.

No wonder your kids have nothing but disdain for the place, they've probably picked up on their parents feelings. This reminds me of your post about being 'forced' to come here for a few days during your vacation so your husband could work in the Atlanta office. You and the kids couldn't stand the place, but with zero reasons given. I suspect you never tried, and decided you didn't want to like it before you ever arrived.

For both places sake, I truly wish you get to stay up there. I grew up around people like you in Cleveland, I get where you're coming from.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:05 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Considering your already built in anti-Atlanta bias, I hope hubby doesn't work for Fiserv. With the Atlanta based National Data merger and their already large presence here, there are rumblings of a HQ's move from Milwaukee. Hopefully that telecommuting position holds.

No wonder your kids have nothing but disdain for the place, they've probably picked up on their parents feelings. This reminds me of your post about being 'forced' to come here for a few days during your vacation so your husband could work in the Atlanta office. You and the kids couldn't stand the place, but with zero reasons given. I suspect you never tried, and decided you didn't want to like it before you ever arrived.

For both places sake, I truly wish you get to stay up there. I grew up around people like you in Cleveland, I get where you're coming from.
I think Atlanta just isn't for them. I don't think there was any anti-Atlanta bias in her comment. Maybe she just prefers Milwaukee more. Just like you told me in a previous post that you prefer Atlanta over Cleveland. I had to realize that everybody ain't gonna love Cleveland just like everybody ain't gonna love Atlanta. Some Ohio expats who move South feel that everybody should love the South or their new respective city because they love it.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 06-30-2019 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 03:48 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I think Atlanta just isn't for them. I don't think there was any anti-Atlanta bias in her comment. Maybe she just prefers Milwaukee a more. Just like you told me in a previous post that you prefer Atlanta over Cleveland. I had to realize that everybody ain't gonna love Cleveland just like everybody ain't gonna love Atlanta. Some Ohio expats who move South feel that everybody should love the South or their new respective city because they love it.
No, this doesn't even scratch the surface. If you were familiar with previous posts, you would probably have a clearer perspective.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:52 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I agree with you, as someone who has lived in NY for most of his life, and in NC for 7 years. The difference is indeed, very noticable.
This likely depends on where in NY and the sport as well. For instance and even within the state, Lacrosse is bigger in Upstate and Long island, but NYC hardly has any HS Lacrosse programs.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:55 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I think Atlanta just isn't for them. I don't think there was any anti-Atlanta bias in her comment. Maybe she just prefers Milwaukee a more. Just like you told me in a previous post that you prefer Atlanta over Cleveland. I had to realize that everybody ain't gonna love Cleveland just like everybody ain't gonna love Atlanta. Some Ohio expats who move South feel that everybody should love the South or their new respective city because they love it.
I wouldn't say that. I am an Ohio expatriate and I don't think people should love the South. If anything the South has reinforced what I like about Ohio. But I'll never move back to Ohio for a number of reasons. Not that the South lacks these issues, but they do not appear as pronounced as they are in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.