Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 11:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Oh come on, you can't be serious?

The South is the remaining region where it's still okay to publicly deride and ridicule the place. It's ingrained in a large part of society.
Yes, i am serious I don't hear a lot of deriding and ridicule of the South these days they do more of that to the Midwest. I hear more good things about the South than bad. All I ever hear about the South is how there's a lot of job opportunities, professionals, major population growth and big companies moving down there. The South has a much better image nationally. Maybe I'm missing something. Tell me where I'm wrong. How do people deride and ridicule the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Hubby just got back from a trip to Nashville and Atlanta yesterday. Confirmed he never wants to move to either. Nashville is great to visit but not a place we'd care to live. I could go without ever visiting Atlanta again.
Bully for you. I am from the south and live in the south and have zero interest in living in either city, or visiting either city again (been there, done that).

The same goes for many, many cities in other regions as well. In fact, I can think of cities in every single region of the US that I wouldn't move to or visit if you paid me to do so. I can think of entire regions for that matter.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Considering your already built in anti-Atlanta bias, I hope hubby doesn't work for Fiserv. With the Atlanta based National Data merger and their already large presence here, there are rumblings of a HQ's move from Milwaukee. Hopefully that telecommuting position holds.

No wonder your kids have nothing but disdain for the place, they've probably picked up on their parents feelings. This reminds me of your post about being 'forced' to come here for a few days during your vacation so your husband could work in the Atlanta office. You and the kids couldn't stand the place, but with zero reasons given. I suspect you never tried, and decided you didn't want to like it before you ever arrived.

For both places sake, I truly wish you get to stay up there. I grew up around people like you in Cleveland, I get where you're coming from.
Doesn't work for Fiserv. I don't recall saying my kids had any disdain for Atlanta. They didn't care for it despite me researching things to do and taking them out everyday. Neither do I (that wasn't my first time there), my husband, or my sister and niece who came up from Miami to see us. My kids also didn't care for Navarre Beach, FL so what are you gonna do? They were perfectly happy in Nashville. Hubby was offered a job in Atlanta last week and he declined.

I will stay in Milwaukee, thank you. I'd be happy to live in Cleveland as well. I guess I'm happy "people like you" live down there and I can stay here.

I'm glad you like Atlanta but you should check on that chip on your shoulder. Not everyone has to love it.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Doesn't work for Fiserv. I don't recall saying my kids had any disdain for Atlanta. They didn't care for it despite me researching things to do and taking them out everyday. Neither do I (that wasn't my first time there), my husband, or my sister and niece who came up from Miami to see us. My kids also didn't care for Navarre Beach, FL so what are you gonna do? They were perfectly happy in Nashville. Hubby was offered a job in Atlanta last week and he declined.

I will stay in Milwaukee, thank you. I'd be happy to live in Cleveland as well. I guess I'm happy "people like you" live down there and I can stay here.

I'm glad you like Atlanta but you should check on that chip on your shoulder. Not everyone has to love it.
That's what I was trying to him in my reply to his post. Everybody isn't going to love Atlanta like JMati does just like everybody isn't going to love Milwaukee or Cleveland like we do. You and your family just prefer Milwaukee, nothing wrong with that. You didn't sound like you showed disdain for Atlanta in your post. IMO, some people that live in popular cities suffer from what I call the "Fine Girl Syndrome", where they've been told all their life that they're beautiful then when someone tells them that they're not beautiful they can't handle it.

Just like people aren't gonna love The South in general. Personally, I like The South; I love visiting my family in Memphis, although it gets undeservedly crapped on a lot by people here on CD when it comes to Southern cities. I enjoyed the food, The Civil Rights Museum and Beale Street. I never been to ATL; I plan on visiting there someday (maybe next year), and I know I can create my own good times there. When will people realize that the cities may work for you isn't going to work for somebody else?

Last edited by QCongress83216; 07-01-2019 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 01:16 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I love visiting my family in Memphis, although it gets undeservedly crapped on a lot by people here on CD when it comes to Southern cities. I enjoyed the food, The Civil Rights Museum and Beale Street.
There's a commercial on lately singing a song about Memphis. I think it's for Google. When it came on yesterday I told my husband I want to spend a weekend in Memphis. I've only stopped for lunch on the way to New Orleans. We had great bbq and AMAZING banana pudding. I spent the next week on our trip through the south looking for great banana pudding but it was never as good. It seems like an interesting city.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
That's what I was trying to him in my reply to his post. Everybody isn't going to love Atlanta like JMati does just like everybody isn't going to love Milwaukee or Cleveland like we do. You and your family just prefer Milwaukee, nothing wrong with that. You didn't sound like you showed disdain for Atlanta in your post. IMO, some people that live in popular cities suffer from what I call the "Fine Girl Syndrome", where they've been told all their life that they're beautiful then when someone tells them that they're not beautiful they can't handle it.

Just like people aren't gonna love The South in general. Personally, I like The South; I love visiting my family in Memphis, although it gets undeservedly crapped on a lot by people here on CD when it comes to Southern cities. I enjoyed the food, The Civil Rights Museum and Beale Street. I never been to ATL; I plan on visiting there someday (maybe next year), and I know I can create my own good times there. When will people realize that the cities may work for you isn't going to work for somebody else?
Some people just HAVE to criticize another person or place in order to feel good about their own choices or their own self. Sad, really.

And the internet often brings out the worst in people, hiding behind a computer screen. Also sad.

I love the south, and I've been to Memphis many times. I could sit here and grouse about what I don't like about that city, or I can sit here and focus on the positives. I prefer the positives. Same with every single other city I've ever been to in any region.

Modcut: removed off topic comment

Last edited by JMT; 07-02-2019 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Some people just HAVE to criticize another person or place in order to feel good about their own choices or their own self. Sad, really.

And the internet often brings out the worst in people, hiding behind a computer screen. Also sad.

I love the south, and I've been to Memphis many times. I could sit here and grouse about what I don't like about that city, or I can sit here and focus on the positives. I prefer the positives. Same with every single other city I've ever been to in any region.

Modcut: removed off topic comment
You are right on many fronts. Some people have to put any person or place in order to feel good about their own choices, hype up themselves or hype up their cities. It's not only sad, it's ridiculous. To me, if you have to do that; you have some insecurity issues. If a certain city isn't for you, that's cool, but don't put down others who do like the city. The Internet can definitely bring out the worst in people. It seems as if since they're too scary to say to a person's face they'll type what they want to say. Keyboard warriors.

I like the South but I'm not sure if I would want to live there. To my Ohio and Northeast expats, yes I know that the South has better weather and more things to do outdoors! LOL! . If I did, I would rather live in a city where a lot of people haven't moved to because I don't wanna live in an overcrowded city. I would move somewhere like Virginia Beach or Richmond. But, cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Nashville are too overcrowded now with transplants.

Last edited by JMT; 07-02-2019 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 04:26 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
What do you like about Ohio that's was reinforced when you moved Down South? It just seems like when I read some Ohio expats posts or some of my friends or relatives on social media; they feel that they found paradise or an utopia moving to the South. Plus, the issues in the South don't appear as pronounced like Ohio for a number of reasons: Brain Gain, economy, weather, big businesses and corporations moving down South, jobs, great regional reputation, Sun Belt praise, national media hype, etc. Plus, it doesn't get made fun of in memes or YouTube videos like Ohio does.
Ohio has real cities. Real gritty. And most Ohio cities have better public transportation than what we have here in this part of Virgina.

Northern Virgina, I prefer to Ohio. But Hampton Roads, Richmond, etc. Same as Ohio in my opinion, just costs more.

South may not be as intense as the North intellectually but that doesn't mean it's just easy here. A lot of Northerners down here doing things. Very competitive. Doesn't pay as much as it does up North but that doesn't mean it's a walk in the park. You still have to show and prove.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:

There's a big difference between having a chip on your shoulder and reacting to repeated negative comments and references to a particular place.

At any case, I'm glad you get to stay in your beloved Milwaukee. Hopefully, you won't have to come back.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Ohio has real cities. Real gritty. And most Ohio cities have better public transportation than what we have here in this part of Virgina.

Northern Virgina, I prefer to Ohio. But Hampton Roads, Richmond, etc. Same as Ohio in my opinion, just costs more.

South may not be as intense as the North intellectually but that doesn't mean it's just easy here. A lot of Northerners down here doing things. Very competitive. Doesn't pay as much as it does up North but that doesn't mean it's a walk in the park. You still have to show and prove.
I'm curious. How are Hampton Roads and Richmond are similar to cities in Ohio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.