Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,290 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating from college at the end of May & I want to start my career somewhere new. I grew up in NYC & went to college in Boston, so I want to get away from those areas for now. That being said, I absolutely LOVE New York City & Boston is great too, so I'm definitely looking for an urban area. However, I also love the beach & I'd be okay living in a smaller city or town as well.

I'm not sure how to describe the type of city/area I'm looking to live in, but I'd like it to be one with a lot of young people, somewhat "hip" with cute coffee shops & restaurants, fun bars & nightclubs - that sort of atmosphere. I also love to run & want an area that's safe for that & someplace with a "healthy" atmosphere about it.

I know that's a very general, broad description but I'm really open to moving anywhere, so I don't want to limit it. However, I am favoring some states, like California & Florida (I'd love to live someplace warm), or Colorado & Arizona, but really I'll take advice on ANYWHERE in the country. I guess I'm looking for information on what the areas are like, costs, commuting, nightlife, typical things people look into when relocating, etc.

I don't have a job yet, I plan on looking for one as soon as I decide on the area I want to live in, but since I have no clue what I'll be making, I don't think I'd be able to afford anything more than $2,000/month & I'd be living with roommates. I'm used to living in NYC, so a high cost of living really isn't much of a problem for me, but I know California has higher prices than NY & that's one of the areas I'm definitely interested in, so if anyone has any feedback on whether or not moving there would be feasible, let me know!

If you're a recent college grad & absolutely love your city/town - let me know why, so I can see if it's somewhere I'd love too! Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Austin, Texas

Old 04-13-2008, 08:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
Well, I can tell you to eliminate Colorado because they get snow in the winter and if you like the beach, you won't find anything like that.

Arizona is also out since you want urban areas.

A few places I can suggest are Los Angeles, San Diego, Tampa, Miami, Austin, and Chicago.

In Los Angeles, we have great weather and plenty of other young people. LA is just like NYC except spread out with better weather. We have that hip feel, lots of coffee shops, extremely diverse cuisines, and plenty of places to go clubbing. Pretty much everyone drives, but on weekends if it's nice out, our bike path following the whole coast of Santa Monica is packed and you can go through Venice and Santa Monica so there's plenty to do along the path. In the nicer areas, lots of people run, but not in the bad neighborhoods.

San Diego is pretty much like LA but cheaper and a little more laid back in terms of night life and varied cuisines. SD is very conservative compared to LA though, so if you are liberal, it may be harder to share beliefs, but trust me...this is still SoCal so it won't be anything like Oklahoma or Nebraska.

Miami is bundles of joy in Miami Beach...if you can afford it. If you can't afford Miami Beach, it might be a little boring, but I have never been there so I can't say. The weather is always warm, the beaches are amazing, and it's pretty diverse, not like LA or NYC though. I believe it is quite young there as well, especially Miami Beach.

Tampa is to Miami as San Diego is to Los Angeles. It's more laid back and most likely more conservative. I believe more humid as well.

Austin is supposed to be the one liberal hot-spot left in Texas, most likely because of the high number of young professionals living in the area. The city is quite young, so it's probably very hip and vibrant with plenty to do. It's probably because of the university nearby. They don't have a beach, but there are probably rivers or lakes you can go in nearby.

Chicago is extremely fun and urban with endless partying, dining, and...coffee-ing(?) to do. The winters do get cold and snowy, but there is always their warm summers to look forward to when you can go swimming in Lake Michigan.

I'm sure others will come up with more suggestions, but those are mine.

I would rank them like this:
  1. Los Angeles
  2. Chicago
  3. Miami
  4. San Diego
  5. Austin
  6. Tampa
In terms of affordability, the list would go:
  1. Austin
  2. Tampa
  3. San Diego
  4. Chicago suburbs
  5. Miami
  6. Chicago downtown
  7. Los Angeles

Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
$2000/month? Wow. That would get you a great place in a lot of cities.

I'm sure you could find a decent city where you could pay less rent and enjoy it just as much. Less rent = more money for fun.

I'm guessing you prefer a warm climate? and a major city? It sounds like Southern California to me. Perhaps Atlanta, too?

You category is very broad so it's hard to nail it down.

I like St. Louis a lot, but I don't live there. And I don't what the life is like for a young single. Considering it has 3 colleges (Washington University, St. Louis University, University of Missouri St. Louis), there should be a number of younger people there. And a decent 1 BR, even downtown, shouldn't run you much more than $1,000 month. You'd probably make less, though. And the winters, though not as bad as NY, Chicago, and Boston, are still rough. Summers are plenty warm, though. But there's no ocean. There are a number of parks in the city which you can jog in and there are 3 sports teams as well as museums and theaters. Parts of the city are dangerous, but overall it's fine. But I can't comment on jobs since I don't know what you plan to do in your career.

It sounds like you really want to live in southern California. And you're willing to pay money for it.

What kind of job are you looking for? It may be best to put your resume online and see what kind of offers you get before planting down somewhere.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:27 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,966 times
SF
SD
Austin
Chicago
Jacksonville
St. Louis - Central West End, for example

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 04-13-2008 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: whatcha talking about? whatcha talking about? what was mentioned twice? what was mentioned twice?

Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Any reason you mentioned Austin twice?

Old 04-13-2008, 08:37 PM

I'll look up some listings for you. Here are some in Los Angeles
Newly remodeled 1b+1b with hardwwod floors across from the beach! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/640900636.html - broken link)
FREE SUNSETS FOREVER!!!!!! (broken link)
~~~~~STUDIO~~~~WESTWOOD~~~~AMAZING BUILDING~~~~ (broken link)
Spacious 1 Bed With Balcony Close To Beach Santa Monica Pier (broken link)
Ask about our FREE RENT (broken link)
Great Beach Apartment - VERY LARGE!!! (broken link)
EGL Properties....... OCEAN in front of you !!!!.....Open House..... (broken link)
Art Deco Style Studio located in the Heart of Santa Monica (broken link)
2540 7th St, #3-all utilities included (broken link)
Lovely Apt. next to UCLA - Pool, Sauna, Fitness, Cat Friendly (broken link)
Upper Spacious unit~ Newly Renovated! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/640886214.html - broken link)
WESTSIDE LIVING AT ITS BEST IN PRIME SANTA MONICA LOCATION (broken link)

Yeah, you get the idea. Trust me, you can live really well by yourself with a 2k budget for rental. This is only for one area of LA.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
SF
SD
Austin
Chicago
Jacksonville
St. Louis - Central West End, for example
Austin
SF doesn't have beaches and it's cold there.
Jacksonville is too small-townish for the OP I think.
St. Louis doesn't have a beach.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 PM

She said she'd take advice anywhere in the country, didn't she? If it's honest advice let the OP judge it.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:56 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
SF doesn't have beaches and it's cold there.
Jacksonville is too small-townish for the OP I think.
St. Louis doesn't have a beach.
SF doesn't have beaches? Strange, I wonder then what that expanse of sandy flat area where there were some waves crashing about that I walked upon... hmmmm..
Beaches In San Francisco - Top 5 Beaches Reviewed by SFTravel
Area Guide to San Francisco - SF Guide is an information guide for hotels, restaurants, weather, theater, events, tours and more. (http://www.sfguide.com/sports/beaches.htm - broken link)
As to the temp, well the OP did indicate that preferred warmth, but also included CO as potential, right before stating "but really I'll take advice on ANYWHERE in the country"... Hence also the inclusion of JAX and StL, especially given that kinda doubtful that you can create a sizable list that would fit perfectly every category, ya know? As to JAX - again did not the OP say "...I'd be okay living in a smaller city or town as well." BTW, StL may not have a beach, but she does have a waterfront - I've even sprinkled some sand there years past for 'atmosphere' ; and just ~2.5-3 hours to the west there is a little lake that has more shoreline than CA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.