Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Natural Disaster
Hurricanes 49 31.82%
Tornadoes 32 20.78%
Wildfires 9 5.84%
Blizzards 9 5.84%
Earthquakes 37 24.03%
Flooding 16 10.39%
Volcanoes 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 09:08 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times

Advertisements

Personally I feel like it would actually be an asteroid, winch I think classifies as a natural disaster. from out of space theirs billons of rocks flying around with the potential to do absolute destruction. The largest asteroid is almost 600 miles across at the center, just imagine what that does to anywhere it would have an out of this reaction. Lol

To be honest I would never really consider natural disasters when moving to a different place. Human being have conquered places where every last one of these is common. I think it's awesome to get the experience of the insane power mother nature really has. Natural disasters are going to happen anyways, majority of us will not die, and life will go on afterwards. life's way too short to not get to experience each long enough to have a complete understanding of each

Last edited by sean1the1; 05-29-2019 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 09:21 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Blizzards, they're probably the least dangerous, but absolute super cold for days on end sounds like pure misery.
You may be combining two unrelated concepts here. To be classified as a blizzard a storm has to reach a sustained level of winds for a minimum of 3 hours, combined with a certain snowfall rate. Absolute super cold for days on end is not factored into that calculation. Blizzards are typically created and associated with converging weather patterns which can include warming(relatively speaking) trends. I do not believe "absolute super cold for days on end" was one of the criteria in this poll. Not really sure it's a natural disaster. Otherwise I'd imagine it would be winning handily.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:25 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I gotta go with Sharknado.

If you’ve never seen it, it’s an over the top camp B movie. I laugh all the way through it.
It was hilariously terrible.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:26 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You may be combining two unrelated concepts here. To be classified as a blizzard a storm has to reach a sustained level of winds for a minimum of 3 hours, combined with a certain snowfall rate. Absolute super cold for days on end is not factored into that calculation. Blizzards are typically created and associated with converging weather patterns which can include warming(relatively speaking) trends. I do not believe "absolute super cold for days on end" was one of the criteria in this poll. Not really sure it's a natural disaster. Otherwise I'd imagine it would be winning handily.
I'd say anything that halts a cities functions for any length of time classifies. Though blizzards certainly aren't the deadliest of this list.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:41 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'd say anything that halts a cities functions for any length of time classifies. Though blizzards certainly aren't the deadliest of this list.
I have lived in both a city that had an actual blizzard, and a city that has experienced floods/tornadoes/hurricanes.

I would much rather be stuck inside an intact house for a couple of days than have my property and possessions destroyed and my life threatened.

I can't believe people would actually choose a flood over a blizzard.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:54 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I guess growing up in Tornado Alley I'm a little surprised people said tornadoes, just because the actual odds of a tornado hitting a specific patch of ground in tornado alley is SO low.

On average a tornado will impact one specific spot in tornado alley around once every 12,000 years. There are hundreds of tornadoes a year, but most are fairly small and don't stay on the ground long - compared to the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of square miles of area they criss cross.

I would easily say earthquakes. Earthquakes can have enormous impact on an entire city. Most tornadoes would only impact one relatively small piece of an actual city of any decent size. The other 95% of the city is fully intact and can absorb the people, supply the manpower and keep going on as normal as the area impacted recovers. You don't notice it as much if a tornado impacts a little portion of your city compared to causing widespread damage in a hurricane or earthquake.

My list would be Hurricanes and earthquakes easily. Blizzards I couldn't care less about.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I guess growing up in Tornado Alley I'm a little surprised people said tornadoes, just because the actual odds of a tornado hitting a specific patch of ground in tornado alley is SO low.

On average a tornado will impact one specific spot in tornado alley around once every 12,000 years. There are hundreds of tornadoes a year, but most are fairly small and don't stay on the ground long - compared to the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of square miles of area they criss cross.

I would easily say earthquakes. Earthquakes can have enormous impact on an entire city. Most tornadoes would only impact one relatively small piece of an actual city of any decent size. The other 95% of the city is fully intact and can absorb the people, supply the manpower and keep going on as normal as the area impacted recovers. You don't notice it as much if a tornado impacts a little portion of your city compared to causing widespread damage in a hurricane or earthquake.

My list would be Hurricanes and earthquakes easily. Blizzards I couldn't care less about.
I voted tornadoes because they're kinda the sweet spot between hurricanes and earthquakes: enough warning that you know it's coming but too soon to do much about it besides hide. With hurricanes, you can evacuate and be out of harm's way. With earthquakes, they just hit and there's no impending doom you start to feel. Also, earthquakes happen daily all over the world by the dozens or hundreds and don't destroy or damage anything really at all until the rare larger ones. Hurricanes can hit and if you prepare your home right, the damage is minimal if anything, but you're able to pack the valuables and get out of town. Tornadoes you can't pack the valuables and if they hit right where you are there is mass destruction. It's rare, but when that rarity becomes reality for you, it's disastrous more often than a hurricane or especially earthquakes.

Anyone afraid of a blizzard is just a weather wimp. Buy food that won't go bad. Stock up on bread and water. Have some candles and blankets. Stay inside. You'll survive. There is no wind tearing apart your walls and roof or a giant crack opening up under your feet. I guess being afraid of the cold is serious enough?

Old 05-29-2019, 12:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I have lived in both a city that had an actual blizzard, and a city that has experienced floods/tornadoes/hurricanes.

I would much rather be stuck inside an intact house for a couple of days than have my property and possessions destroyed and my life threatened.

I can't believe people would actually choose a flood over a blizzard.
They choose that, not in reality, but in an effort to make living in the north, a bad thing. Blizzards aren't nearly as damaging as floods. Houston would never be a city I would choose, with the last couple of floods they have had.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:19 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Since I'd rather live on the Eastern portion of the US, I'll say flooding or tornadoes. You can evacuate for Hurricanes. I don't mind blizzards. I get stuff I need, prepare, and chill (literally) until it is over. Flooding though is a nuisance and comes will all other types of unwanted things. Tornadoes can happen at a drop of a dime and it's even scarier at night.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:29 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

That's my way of thinking.

I was out at a conference in California and the people I got to know asked how the heck did we deal with all the tornadoes. As if we had to dodge the things on our morning commutes into work.

I've lived 57 years in the same Southern city and have had one F2 come within a mile of my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.