Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
That’s not what I am talking about. I’ve had my car keyed in Kansas with the word “***” because I had a rainbow flag in the window. Straight people don’t to deal with that.
My brother was attacked by a group of black kids in SC when we were freshmen walking thru a park at night. This was probably was due to racism

My brother was a skinny quiet kid and wasn't talking trash to them. He was ambushed. His face was bruised for two weeks.

They hit him in the face several times with brass knuckles.

So how did that straight white privilege help him.

He never talks about this.

I am pretty sure everybody has had somebody be mean to them at some point. That's part of life.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-01-2019 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 11:11 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
The Balkanization of America continues unabated I see.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:11 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
My brother was attacked by a group of black kids in SC when we were freshmen walking thru a park at night. This was probably was due to racism

My brother was a skinny quiet kid and wasn't talking trash to them. He was ambushed. His face was bruised for two weeks.

They hit him in the face several times with brass knuckles.

So how did that straight white privilege help him.

He never talks about this.

I am pretty sure everybody has had somebody be mean to them at some point. That's part of life.
You clearly dont understand the bigger picture... being white in America in general gives you privileges that "others" dont get. That doesnt mean that every white person is the same, it just means that there is an advantage purely based on ones skin color.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:20 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
You clearly dont understand the bigger picture... being white in America in general gives you privileges that "others" dont get. That doesnt mean that every white person is the same, it just means that there is an advantage purely based on ones skin color.
What are these privileges? Sounds like a baseless assertion .

So how were many non white people able to be successful and many white people have not been successful.

Most white people have to work, pay taxes,. Obey laws,. Study hard in school to do well,. Practice to be good at sports and other things.

It seems like most people talking about white privilege are white.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-01-2019 at 11:32 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 06:08 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
I think its fair to say that having your car keyed for political beliefs, especially ones that do not harm others, is more than being made just a bit uncomfortable. That said, I've heard anecdotes from many people describing similar interactions when they would travel and people heard they were from DFW or Dallas after the assassination.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:19 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Part of what's driving SC's growth is the sprawl from Charlotte.

York and Lancaster Counties are 2 of the fastest growing in the country.
Charlotte's SC suburbs and the coast are growing rapidly. The Greenville/Spartanburg and Columbia areas are no slouches either. All of those areas are great with high qualities of life. SC's an underrated state, IMO.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
How about the list:

1. Florida
2. Arizona
3. North Carolina
4. Washington
5. Texas
6. Oregon
7. South Carolina
8. Tennessee
9. Nevada
10. Colorado

Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
And plenty of conservatives would not feel comfortable living in NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco, and definitely catch flack too for their beliefs and lifestyles.

It's not only that conservatives are "clannish" and don't take kindly to people unlike themselves, I can tell you being born and raised in a very liberal city, the same is true of liberals. When you go to/live in ANY area that is heavily tilted in one way politically, you're going to get the extremists and mob mentality against those who think differently. That's not exclusive to places like Kansas and Alabama.
Being a conservative Republican or liberal Democrat are lifestyle choices.

Being heterosexual or homosexual are NOT lifestyle choices.

If you assume a lifestyle choice, then you should expect to catch flak from those opposed to that lifestyle choice. For example, my former "Feel the Bern" bumper magnets in 2016 garnered me both happy honks/thumbs-ups from fellow motorists as well as dudes in huge pick-up trucks tailgating my Honda Fit an inch from my bumper, presumably from being "triggered". That came with the territory, though, of choosing to be a liberal Democrat in a conservative state that voted for Trump.

I never asked to be gay. I don't want to be gay. I've been bullied for being gay. It sucks. It also sucks that so many people, apparently, still think being gay is a choice. Tell me when you chose to be straight, then? What was the date?

Old 06-05-2019, 11:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How about the list:

1. Florida
2. Arizona
3. North Carolina
4. Washington
5. Texas
6. Oregon
7. South Carolina
8. Tennessee
9. Nevada
10. Colorado
I'm surprised Colorado isn't higher. If not for the long haul from my family in PA (as well as my perhaps irrational fear of being vaporized instantly if Yellowstone erupts) I'd love to live there. So much sunshine. Snow. Hiking. Trail-running. Mountain biking. Whitewater rafting. Progressive educated populace.

What does Nevada have that Colorado doesn't? To me Nevada is just desert and ugly sprawl. At least it seems like Colorado's sprawl is MOSTLY better-planned, more scenic, more walkable, etc.

Washington's not a surprise. Seattle's an economic monster (Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Boeing, etc.)

Old 06-05-2019, 12:21 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How about the list:

1. Florida
2. Arizona
3. North Carolina
4. Washington
5. Texas
6. Oregon
7. South Carolina
8. Tennessee
9. Nevada
10. Colorado

I like North Carolina from the list. If I were to move South....it would probably be North Carolina. I like the fact that it has a lot of medium sized metros and beaches. I like density and urbanity though. Hence, I am really not a big fan of the south. I can understand why people move south though.....people just follow trends for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.